Solo going at Bailey's is Dolmar next?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but their logic is flawed. Maybe not, I haven't found much logic in their decisions.
They cut the mileage in half on diesels trying to get the exhaust a little cleaner. Most folks aren't driving less, just burning more fuel. Sounds to me like they're defeating their purpose.
Making everyone in the country comply to rules made for big cities would be like making all the speed limits in the country 30 mph because that's what they are in the city. :dizzy:

Andy

The milage thing surprises me, here the vehicles are getting cleaner and going further or at least matching the previous model on fuel economy with each model update and change in diesel regs.
Petrol cars are going further on a tank too.

All the small diesels here now have to be equivalent to Euro IV compliant, which means particulate traps, etc. and the big Euro diesels are using traps, etc and have to run low SAPS oils, although the US engines dominate interstate haulage here, often being B-Doubles or bigger out west.

I will say that even in my lifetime (which is probably relatively short compared to most on this site), I have seen air quality improve significantly in big cities. Most of the regs were to cut down on particulates which have been shown to be very bad. I do believe that there is a net reduction in particulates despite increased gas being burned.

I agree that what happens in big cities shouldn't apply everywhere. And by and large it doesnt. Again I'm not saying im behind this even 50%, but I just wanted to express some degree of the counter argument.

The thing is it's tough to start regulating, and say ok, this truck is rated x, it can only operate outside of major metropolitan areas, etc, etc.

In addition, the EPA regs on petrol/gas cars are largely responsible for better fuel economy. I get 41 mpgs in my little honda. Drive 240 miles for less than $20

The milage thing surprises me, here the vehicles are getting cleaner and going further or at least matching the previous model on fuel economy with each model update and change in diesel regs.
Petrol cars are going further on a tank too.

All the small diesels here now have to be equivalent to Euro IV compliant, which means particulate traps, etc. and the big Euro diesels are using traps, etc and have to run low SAPS oils, although the US engines dominate interstate haulage here, often being B-Doubles or bigger out west.

I get about 19 mpg out of my 1998 Dodge 1 ton dual wheel 4x4. My buddy got a new one speced out the same (but prettier), and he get's 11 mpg. :dizzy: In the early 80's I put a naturally aspirated v6 Cummins out of a loader in a 1 ton Ford and it got 19 mpg pulling a 24' trailer. Surely they can do better than that.
Oh, to keep on topic. I carry a couple of 7900's in the back of my Dodge. :cheers:

Andy

I had a 93 doge with a cummins that would get 23-24 if I stayed under 65 mph. It didn't have the power of the new truck stock but with tweaks it was right with a stock 05 and up dodge. The new ford get 12-15.

The 576xp goes farther on a tank than the 372 did. The 576 probably has more power than the 372 did and they are both modded. I don't understand why they can get better fuel comsumption out of a chainsaw with the regulations. The auto industry maybe needs the Redmax engineers to help them build the emissions systems on the diesel trucks.

I get about 19 mpg out of my 1998 Dodge 1 ton dual wheel 4x4. My buddy got a new one speced out the same (but prettier), and he get's 11 mpg. :dizzy: In the early 80's I put a naturally aspirated v6 Cummins out of a loader in a 1 ton Ford and it got 19 mpg pulling a 24' trailer. Surely they can do better than that.
Oh, to keep on topic. I carry a couple of 7900's in the back of my Dodge. :cheers:

Andy

Andy, I dont want to start a world V USA thing but as good as alot of the aspects are the car/light truck building isnt the best thing.... yes they are comfy and carry loads etc....but look at the jap/european stuff and they do the job just as good more efficently.

for example rear alxes...either D60/D70/D80 14 bolt.....simple, big and strong but you can make a ligter axle just as strong by better design and materials

keeping everything cheap, including wages is a false economy......as the world found out with the sub prime morgage crisis....

Im all for a cleaner enviroment, I choose to believe in the climate change thing.....REGARDLESS there makes no sense in going on poluting and wasting.....how people can not see a ceiling on our planet and its abuse is beoynd me...

Im a capenter so I contribute to the big picture, but I try to do it lightly

You could be said are helping buy keeping your saws maintained and running sharp chains....which you put manual labour into.....one byproduct that doesnt hurt is sweat.

Your new pickups with diesel will only get good fuel mileage after 150 000 miles or so. My 2008 international prostar with a 485 ISX only started to get good mileage after 100 000 miles and that's pulling 90 000 pound loads everyday. Diesel motors have to work for them to break in faster.

The us market doesn't have any truck from anyone but the big 3 that will pull 20,000 lbs down the road. The toyotas are only a 1/2 ton truck. I would be scared to put a 12,000 lb farm tractor on a 4500 lb trailer and take off for more than a mile or so.

Yep, that's what happens when you let the "free love", hippy type have their way. Lets all eat leaves and drop acid, that'll make it better.

Save the world!!:dizzy:

You guys know as well as I do. As long as there are fellas that can "modify". It will be done.:) I'd really like to run a 7900, but hell it's dang near impossible to find even a husky dealer around here, in Stihl country. I think everybody but me has a 460 mag. that must the only saw Stihl sells. Heck, these boys even climb with them (no joke) I seen it with me own two eyes.:dizzy:

on the newer diesels timing has been retarded to reduce nox, reducing milage also, the newer truck r also much heavier then the older ones. 07 and up truck have dpf which also consumes fuel and timing is retarded further. Diesels with scr to reduce nox get better milage because timimg isnt retarded, but all the newer diesel pickups weigh more then they used too. My experience with stratocharged equip.: they run a lot hotter and need rebuilding often. rings stick, eventually crack and smear the cylinders. If u can pull the cylinder off a few times a year and clean the rings your safe. even with using synthetic oil it still cokes the rings up.

Last edited:
I will say that even in my lifetime (which is probably relatively short compared to most on this site), I have seen air quality improve significantly in big cities. Most of the regs were to cut down on particulates which have been shown to be very bad. I do believe that there is a net reduction in particulates despite increased gas being burned.

I agree that what happens in big cities shouldn't apply everywhere. And by and large it doesnt. Again I'm not saying im behind this even 50%, but I just wanted to express some degree of the counter argument.

The thing is it's tough to start regulating, and say ok, this truck is rated x, it can only operate outside of major metropolitan areas, etc, etc.
I lived in Burlington, VT in the early '70's. We used to go down to the park on a summer night, get up on an outlook, and watch the smog cloud south of us coming up from New York.

Since the mid- '70's I've lived in Washington DC area. Back around the late '70's being outside almost anytime in the summer was like smoking a full pack of cigarettes. The air was downright nasty.

Luckily it started getting cleaned up and isn't too bad now.

Now if we could just reverse the melting of glaciers as quickly.

My 09 F 250 weighs 8100 lbs with me in it so I guess I expect too much. I guess I need to delete the dpf and gain my mileage back.

This is why I'm hoarding saws now!!!! Soon they'll be buying up all the old saws and crushing them.

me too. I've been on a non strato, non cat buying spree. I want all the must have pro models I might want now. I can sell them later if I don't want them down teh line but I sure won't be able to buy them later! The only burning desire left is for a 372 or 2171. Hopefully before the year is over. Then I'll just hoard enough parts to keep rebuilding by precious 200Ts until I'm dead

It looks to me like only husky and stihl have deep enough pockets to do the r&d to get the strato's working well. Dolmar is getting left behind if they think they can grow market share with cat mufflers.

My 09 F 250 weighs 8100 lbs with me in it so I guess I expect too much. I guess I need to delete the dpf and gain my mileage back.

Yup, DPF delete is a must. My buddy just did this on his 08 Cummins, he also reprogrammed the pcm so no reburn happens, advance timing a little, and a little more power.

me too. I've been on a non strato, non cat buying spree. I want all the must have pro models I might want now. I can sell them later if I don't want them down teh line but I sure won't be able to buy them later! The only burning desire left is for a 372 or 2171. Hopefully before the year is over. Then I'll just hoard enough parts to keep rebuilding by precious 200Ts until I'm dead

It looks to me like only husky and stihl have deep enough pockets to do the r&d to get the strato's working well. Dolmar is getting left behind if they think they can grow market share with cat mufflers.

Ya for sure. I really like 372's. Can't get enough of them.

Yeah different companies have tunes to make over 600 hp to the wheels for my truck. It just needs a 6K transmission to put it all to the ground.:cry:

Andy, I dont want to start a world V USA thing but as good as alot of the aspects are the car/light truck building isnt the best thing.... yes they are comfy and carry loads etc....but look at the jap/european stuff and they do the job just as good more efficently.

for example rear alxes...either D60/D70/D80 14 bolt.....simple, big and strong but you can make a ligter axle just as strong by better design and materials

keeping everything cheap, including wages is a false economy......as the world found out with the sub prime morgage crisis....

Im all for a cleaner enviroment, I choose to believe in the climate change thing.....REGARDLESS there makes no sense in going on poluting and wasting.....how people can not see a ceiling on our planet and its abuse is beoynd me...

Im a capenter so I contribute to the big picture, but I try to do it lightly

You could be said are helping buy keeping your saws maintained and running sharp chains....which you put manual labour into.....one byproduct that doesnt hurt is sweat.

I won't argue with you about the global warming stuff, we just have different opinions. I do believe we should be responsible with what we do.
I will argue the fact that I haven't seen a Jap truck that will haul what I need to move. I don't know about the European stuff, but if it's built lighter I have my doubts whether it will hold up long.
I think that a lot of people drive the big comfy diesels as a prestige symbol. They need to rethink things in my book.
I just can't see a Toyota hauling this stuff safely, or lasting verry long at it.
misc003.jpg

Chomper038.jpg

HaulingLogs003.jpg

Andy

redprospector, you certainly need a real truck. However, I think a lot of these regulations are coming from the fact that plenty of americans think they need a pickup to drive to the grocery store. I cant tell you how many 20-30 year olds I know who have a "truck", but live in an apartment and never haul anything.

Back