solution for stripped top cover screws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnsn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 254xp Husky that has 2 out of 3 of the top cover screws stripped out. It then at some point had the ubiquitous metal strap with two small pan head screws , which now keep going missing. It is currently sporting a small green bungie. Since it clashes with the orange I was wondering what smart thing I could do.

The obvious thing would be get another saw, but I am low on cash as we just had a baby AND I have a Jonsy 2152 on its way back from Dozer Dan. Then again I suppose I could get an orange bungie.I was looking at trying to mickey mouse a bungie catch like on the hood of my snowmobile.

I figured I'd ask the experts. Thanks

Do these threads screw into metal or plastic. If metal heli-coil or time-sert the threads, I have done this on screws as small as 4mm. If into plastic find fatter or possible longer screws. If I had the saw in my hands, I KNOW I could fix it.

I would heli-coil the stripped out holes. Takes a special tool kit and insert to install a stainless steel thread insert to repair the threads. I use them all the time to fix such problems.

If the helicoil answer doesn't appeal(or you can't find the inserts you need) mix up some J-B Weld or other tough epoxy and fill the degreased holes then screw in an oiled fastener. Gently "break" the screw by backing it out before the epoxy is fully cured. Now you have a threaded hole again.:)

Latest posts

Back