Some good things about newer saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only guess where you ordered the Echo bar from. I have Husky parts backordered from November from the same place.

Yeah surprising on the oiler holes on the K095 bars. You could have just made a sheet metal bar plate for the outer side. In fact I hope the Echo bar don't have through oiler holes. It shouldnt, I have not seen a late model D176 bar that way for sometime. The later ones all seem to have holes only on 1 side.

Good idea on the outer plate to cover the oiler hole (never thought of it), but on my 339 it doesn't use all the threads in the bar nut as it is.

The echo bars will be run on my 346 and the outer plate on those is pretty big so it should cover.

I too am hoping the oiler on the new d176 bars doesn't go through because I may have to plug it and redrill.

I noticed a major difference in the fume level when I switched to Stihl Ultra synthetic oil. I used to hate the exhaust smell whenver I ran 2 stroke engines, now I hardly notice it. I have no strato saws, but I bet they do burn more completely. I have so many saws, it would be stupid to buy more just to have a cleaner burn.

I agree, and could never run dino oil again period.

The fumes on the 7900 are a tad bit more concentrated than the 681. But that's probably due to the fact that the 681 is running at about 14,500 and the 7900 is just at 13,000. Although I can smell it pretty good with both saws - I'm running the R50 at 36:1.

When milling it's a completely ball game too. The exhaust (with 2 exhaust ports especially) blows right back at you. I don't mind all that much. I love the sweet smell of that R50 burning. :)

i use the orange bottle stihl mix with some marvels on the side. When im up under cedar trees i choke off the fumes from the 170 but i cut the same tree with my 290 and all is well.

The fumes on the 7900 are a tad bit more concentrated than the 681. But that's probably due to the fact that the 681 is running at about 14,500 and the 7900 is just at 13,000. Although I can smell it pretty good with both saws - I'm running the R50 at 36:1.

When milling it's a completely ball game too. The exhaust (with 2 exhaust ports especially) blows right back at you. I don't mind all that much. I love the sweet smell of that R50 burning. :)

I agree with your choice of R50 and 36:1, it is good insurance for modified saws since they produce substantially more power (and heat) that is beyond the cooling capabilities of the OEM design.

It is good we currently all still have that choice to modify saws to our liking, it will not be to long till only fixed jet carbs are on the market making modification more involving and costly.

Others as have posted here are seeing the writing on the wall and finding some advantages (there is very little to hang our hat on) of the saws current with CARB and latest / future EPA guidelines.

It is good to see your passion for the modified equipment, I am sure with the smart tuning guys and sponsors on this site there will always be a solution for whatever restrictions are placed on small engine emissions in the future

Back