Some Negative Husky Reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle Jim

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
It's hard to find any bad press on the Husky saws but I ran across these on [a river in Brazil]:

Avoid Husky Saws - non functional start up, December 4, 2010

This review is from: Husqvarna 450 18-Inch 50.2cc X-Torq 2-Cycle Gas Powered Chain Saw With Smart Start (Lawn & Patio)

If you plan on using your chain saw in the field (woods)on a consistent basis, forget purchasing a Husky...particularly the larger models (I own a 372XP, so I speak with a lot of experience).

The Husky engineers (with the European Union safety mods) created a saw that is almost impossible to start in the field. The procedure (for a right handed person) calls for inserting your left boot into the D handle, depressing the trigger mechanism with your right hand, and then pulling the starter cord with your left hand. Got it? Good. Wearing logger boots bigger than a size 10? Forget putting one of them into the D handle. Like to lay your saw down in slush and mud, and start your saw? If not, you will enjoy cursing out the Husky engineer who designed these saws. Enjoy having the saw bar come back at you when the clutch snags? Get used to it, because it is going to happen more times than not.

Don't be fooled by the cc's per dollar mentality. Don't be fooled by the "safety" hype by Husky sales ("it's safer this way").

The Husky design for start up is simply inefficient, unworkable, and sometimes downright dangerous in true field conditions.

Works Well But a Bear to Start, April 27, 2010

This review is from: Husqvarna 450 18-Inch 50.2cc X-Torq 2-Cycle Gas Powered Chain Saw With Smart Start (Lawn & Patio)

I use this in my NH home on trees which I clear for expanding my daylily farm. I looked through the many options and bought this due to the reviews and the reputation of the company. But beware.

It took seven hours of trying and five days to get it started the first time. I even called the manufacturer's hot line which was helpful but they said to me that this was a common problem.

First a suggestion. Follow the directions but beware the flooding. Follow each step but you may have to do what I was told to do several times.

Remove the cowling and remove the spark plug and turn the engine over to expel the excess fuel. Then clean the plug and let it dry. It may take time since the fuel mix with oil does not evaporate quickly, the oil is a surfactant and stays on the plug. Let the engine cool down then replace the plug, and start all over again. It took three times to get it to finally turn over. It finally turned over.

It cuts well and seems to start well after the first almost impossible start up.

The manual is poorly written and unless you have used chain saws before you may have a difficult time. The manual can and is confusing and is poorly laid out. I have seen better but frankly the manuals for most machines are poorly written.

The 18" chain saw works well on most trees and the chain needs constant monitoring at the start to keep the tension at the required level. One should always watch for this problem. The tension adjust is easy to perform since it is external and on the side of the machine.

It is a relatively light machine for medium duty work. It is well balanced and easy to handle. Again safety is the key issue, gloves, glasses, and respect at all times for the chain and the environment is necessary.

After it started it has worked well thus far. The replacement chains are a bit difficult to buy, standard but they also require some on line searching. ****** should bundle all of the additional parts in one place which they do not.

Starting second and ensuing times seems to work well.

Before I go buy one I'm curious about the AS members reaction to these reviews. I suspect they are uninformed, novice, prejudiced or didn't read the manual. Gotta love the starting procedure in the first one :msp_smile:

-Jim

To me, they are the best chainsaw made. If ya dont get one then you have no one to blame but yourself. I would imagine you could find bad reviews for any saw if ya looked....lol.....

Before I go buy one I'm curious about the AS members reaction to these reviews. I suspect they are uninformed, novice, prejudiced or didn't read the manual. Gotta love the starting procedure in the first one :msp_smile:[/B]

-Jim

You pretty much nailed it. Two, that's a homeower grade saw but good for light duty. If you heat your home with wood, you might want to consider a pro grade saw for longevity.

A hard starting complaint on the Husqy is a technique issue. It ain't the saws fault. Its the user of the saw.

In my opinion you have found complaints from two people who should never own a chainsaw. In the first one he claims it kicks back a lot, that is operator error for sure. You should not need to hold the throttle open to start the saw, just pulling the choke on should do the job just fine. I only own a couple saws that have enough compression to require the "foot in handle" method to start them, I usually use the "throw and pull" method. "Throw and pull" being me holding the saw by the rear handle, starter handle in my left, push the saw away and pull the cord.

In the second one the feller just kept flooding the saw. Any new chain is going to require a lot of tightening for the first couple of tanks of fuel and I would have to assume NH does not have any Lowes, Home Depots or outdoor power equipment dealers in it since he had trouble finding a replacement chain.

Some people just don't have the feel (or sometimes brains) for starting a two stroke.
They'd flood anything, regardless of brand.

I don't get the first blokes point, hasn't he heard of drop starting ? :laugh:

They are extremely easy to start. They might not be adjusted properly, but even then, any saw with a primer should fire on 2 or 3 pulls.

I love those type of guys, because they are the goofballs that can't run the saws they bought at Lowes or TSC and bring them back to the store making sure that my supply of factory refurbs never runs dry. :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks! I now am dumber for reading those reviews!!!! :confused::dizzy::confused:

My huskies start alittle harder than my stihls but its by a couple pulls and they cut fast enough to equal it out anyways!:rock:

:chatter::agree2::agree2:you guys said it , ive had saws running shut them off and handed them to a customer and they can;t restart them, some people are tards when it comes to chainsaws:dizzy:

After reading those reviews, I'll stick with Husky.:msp_wink:

The type of people that write those reviews don't know diddly
about saws and probably should not be allowed to run one.

people buying homeowner grade saws and wanting them to be pro grade. take these reviews with a grain of salt,they are worthless.

Thus the term "Don't cast your pearls before swine" ... They wouldn't know a pro grade saw if it sang and danced... And that's ok, but unfortunately, they write reviews on web sites...:bang: That's how I found AS. Finally! Guys who know what the hell they're talking about!!!

A hard starting complaint on the Husqy is a technique issue. It ain't the saws fault. Its the user of the saw.

110% correct!

Likewise with the Stihl starting procedure, but all those that complain can't read and fail to follow directions...........cant recall when drop starting was a recommended procedure..............can't fix stupid and it ain't the saws.

I just stumbled upon a poor Husky 450 on the clearance table at Lowes a few days ago. It had a repair tag that stated the chain kept flying off and would stay on. It had a new b&C on it but was covered with chips and oil and didnt have a price so I asked a manger how much it was. He told me to make him an offer. $125 later I have nice little saw. Took it home and fueled it up and it fired in 4 pulls w/o using the primer bulb. :clap:

"the chain kept flying off and would(n't) stay on." Oh well, at least the moron got it started.

I wish there was a Lowes here in Oz that would re-cycle saws that had been run by idiots.

Oh my! :hmm3grin2orange:

First off, I run Stihl and love Stihl. But those reviews are about as dumb as the people who posted them. Theres nothing wrong with a Husqy saw at all. Happen to be an awesome saw. They are just as good as Stihl IMO.
Please, do not let those reject reviews sway any decision you make. You would be happy with a Husqvarna. Maybe happier with a Stihl though. But thats JMO. ;)

I always ask the stores about returned saws. The only ones in my area that ever have any are Sears.

I would agree with most that have replyed but add that if those are the only 2 bad reviews you can find about a company that sells as many saws as husky then run out and get one now. They are good saws maybe the best. Like others said I think the issues seemed to be operator error.

The 372xp is a legend period!

Latest posts

Back