Some STIHL News From Germany; MS441 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ye jest, surely ?

High pressure fuel pump, solenoid acctivated injector, ECU, an alternator and battery to power it all.
Sounds like a nice, light setup.... :biggrinbounce2:

125cc and 250cc GP bikes still use carbies. ;)

ECU controlled air injection is the only way to get two strokes as clean or cleaner than a four stroke, http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/06/two-strokes-strike-back/ but for weight and simplicity you can't beat a pulse pump carburettor.

The carburetor is amazing in its ability to give the engine what it asks for, unlike FI which force feeds the engine what it thinks it needs.

More than enough power coming off the magneto. Probably could pick it up through induction off the spark plug wire if needed.

Mr. HE:cool:

What wattage and voltage are the heated handles commonly used in very cold markets ?

Is there enough power generated to power a small high pressure pump and the solenoid on an injector ?
Is the supply stable enough to power a small ECU ?

I know none of this is insurmountable, and the big companies would have had mules running years ago, but it'd be interesting to see what, if any weight penalty it'd introduce too.

I think if these saws get over here i will stock pile a few of the old ones. Yes electronics are good but what about the guys who use them daily in the logging industy are the electronics up to handeling that enviorment. Lets face it its harsh. I will have to bring trash bags to cover them if ever cought in rain. I wounder how much weight it will add? Hey dose any one have a pic of it?

I think if these saws get over here i will stock pile a few of the old ones. Yes electronics are good but what about the guys who use them daily in the logging industy are the electronics up to handeling that enviorment. Lets face it its harsh. I will have to bring trash bags to cover them if ever cought in rain. I wounder how much weight it will add? Hey dose any one have a pic of it?

you are way overthinking this. Do you cover up your truck when it rains? Is it ok to drive through puddles? Weather sealing electronics is simple and easy. Plus, saws use coil ignition already.

Your probly right i could be. I was thinking its just one more thing to mess with We wil just see what comes out

What wattage and voltage are the heated handles commonly used in very cold markets ?

Is there enough power generated to power a small high pressure pump and the solenoid on an injector ?
Is the supply stable enough to power a small ECU ?

I know none of this is insurmountable, and the big companies would have had mules running years ago, but it'd be interesting to see what, if any weight penalty it'd introduce too.

just imagine a little charger running off the flywheel....even 1/2lb boost plus injector mist should yield very cool results. So what if its heavy? maybe a 17lb 60cc saw would make 10hp so who knows

Hello from Bavaria/Germany,

some News what's goin' on Overseas.
I don't know if you're interested in, but i'm telling you.

Stihl throws a MS441 C-M saw on the early 2010 Market. It uses a full electronic Carburetor called "M-Tronic", no carb settings needed/possible.

"The fully electronic engine management system eliminates manual carburetor settings unnecessary, and automatically checks for optimum ignition timing and fuel metering. This manifests itself in a very comfortable, significantly simplified startup process, optimum power delivery and rapid acceleration"

Don't know if the Saw would be available in the US.

Sorry for my bad writing, but I'm tryin'.

Greetings from Bavaria/Germany.

You are in Bavaria and all we get is an email?...what happen to the truckload of Bavarian BEER!!!??...hahaha...I spent some time there in Wildflecking!...and all that beer was great!......and so were the Frauleins..mmmm..mmmm

I will fuel the fire lol, I herd talk about a ms760 being tested in B.C a replacement for the 046? just rumors I herd lol. Not a sthil head so could care less. But I love my old 67/72 Chevy/Gmc Trucks but I also like the no wind noise of my new dodge and like to ride in my buds other new trucks ford and Gm.But when it comes down to a drag it out fight back in the woods I will take a old truck No mater if it's a GM,Ford or Dodge you can get them to work with some bailing wire and and a screw driver or a sock soaked in Gas LOL.Heck I had to wedge a pop can on my 68 Chev drive shaft hanger bearing to get it home from work once, it worked then I needed a new $20.00 hanger bearing we call them steady bearings up here on the old two piece drive shaft.

Last edited:
Wow, big discussion around here!

I uptade you, if there are any new informations or pics available.

By the funny way, I'm just thinking of a saw that talks to the Logger like K.I.T. to Michael Knight in Knight Rider, is this the future?? :)

Nevermind.

:cheers:

Wow, big discussion around here!

I uptade you, if there are any new informations or pics available.

By the funny way, I'm just thinking of a saw that talks to the Logger like K.I.T. to Michael Knight in Knight Rider, is this the future?? :)

Nevermind.

:cheers:
If my saw starts talking to me in that Gay English voice of KIT I will put a .375 bullet through it LOL. But if my saw Starts talking to me in that sexy accent like the James bond movie with the talking BMW I wont mind LOL.Just like the old guy in the James bond movie said to him I thought you would respond to a female voice better?

Motocross bikes are now heavy FourStokes with fuel injection...they meet EPA standards! Is that the way we are moving in saws? They are $8000-$9000 dollars and God help you when its rebuild time. Basically they have moved racing from an every lawn mowing, burger flipping teenagers & family sport to one for the big bucks crowd.

Off road racing still has classes for two strokes. AND..offroad racing is growing relative to MX. You can be competitive on a 5 year old two stroke in HS & GNC type racing.

You can be competitive on a 5 year old two stroke in HS & GNC type racing.

Not if there is a thumper in your class. You know, those big, heavy, expensive machines that whip everything else and have unlimited torque.

I worked with a company that did performance fuel injection. On a dyno. in perfect everything, a carb will always make more power. It atomizes the fuel more efficiently. Unfortunately, the real world isn't like this. You don't have time to adjust a carb every thirty seconds due to slight differences in temp and barometric pressures. In EFI, the computer does it for you.

When EFI first started in the performance car market, it sounded just like this thread. A lot of people were scared of it. Yes, there were a lot of bugs to work out of it, but now that's just about the only way to go!

So far, I am convinced that their efforts to make chainsaws cleaner (leaning them out, CAT mufflers and the like) have put more chainsaws in the scrapper than anything else. If you're just creating machinery that doesn't work properly and that ends up in a landfill, you've really kind of defeated the purpose. Maybe we could say that at least we're tying?

So this is just my opinion, but I think most of the efforts to date to clean up chainsaws has backfired. It looks to me like stratocharging has some pretty good potential. I have no idea what to think of the computer chip thing, I suppose we just have to wait and see what the reality is when the technology is straightened out.

Having said that, here's why I feel (so far, at least) that clean technology + chainsaws has limited value....

I'm all for doing sensible things to machinery to help clean things up. And I think that everything they can do with cars makes all the sense in the world because there's 12 jillion of them on the road at any given time and they use gobs of fossil fuel. But there's probably not 6 chainsaws in use in my town on any given Saturday... and there are far less in use BETWEEN towns. The fact is, people just don't USE chainsaws for much. Most people don't have a chainsaw, some have never even HELD a chainsaw. There are some that have them but never even USE them, others maybe a few times per year. The are very few people that use them all the time, relatively speaking.

So my question is.... is the time, effort, and money spent on making an essentially dirty chainsaw engine into a clean engine going to pay any dividends? My personal feeling is that even if you just THREW all the chainsaw engines in the WORLD into the crusher today and made them go away, you would not move the pollution index even one iota.

So.... I think cleaning up chainsaw engines is a bit like cleaning up a particle accelerator. It's just not where the problem is. Clean up cars, power plants, smelters, and all the other substantial contributors to point and nonpoint source pollution.. even lawn mowers I get... everybody has one of those and they run them all the time.

I think it's a good effort mind you, and I laud the EPA on putting their best foot forward to make a difference, but I think chainsaws are a casualty of an indiscriminately applied rule. Not only have we not really cleaned up the air, we've screwed up the machinery in the process. I mean, seriously.. anyone can buy a Hummer and drive it to the store to get a candy bar and we are going to lose a nice simple hobby that really wasn't hurting anyone because we're going to "clean EVERYTHING up?" The logic blows me away. Let's face it, we do some really dumb stuff. So dumb, that now some freight train of a government agency is going to step in and tell us what to do. It's a bummer, but I guess we did it to ourselves, eh?

Not that it is really an overriding factor, but like some of the other guys, I really miss the machinery that i can fix myself. I used to do all my own auto repair and I don't anymore.... my lawnmower carburetor isn't even adjustable... it's giving me fits! There is more than a little suspicion in my heart that sometimes technology is applied to things that don't need them in order to create and expand a brand new industry. Let's call it the "you're-not-smart-enough-anymore-to-fix-this-gadget-so-you're-going-to-have-have-to-pay-ME-to-fix-it" industry. Maybe I'm seeing this wrong and I'll have to remind myself to be open to the idea of applying clean technology to chainsaws. But this is what I think today, anyways.

And you guys thought I was green!! I really don't feel that I am... I just like to try to find the truth of things which, or course, changes as the world does.

Last edited:
Yeah, but first I gotta' figger out this new fangled Fluke I got....;)

Besides, 68-72 Chevy trucks are like old Macs--they just keep running when all the plastic stuff has been turned into recycled pop bottles......:)

Casey

Like this?

attachment.php

:biggrinbounce2:

Gary

So this is just my opinion, but I think most of the efforts to date to clean up chainsaws has backfired. It looks to me like stratocharging has some pretty good potential. I have no idea what to think of the computer chip thing, I suppose we just have to wait and see what the reality is when the technology is straightened out.

You know, electronics have been inside the ignitions since the 1970. Microcomputers where tested in Stihl during the 80:s and introduced to the market in the 90:s in the ignition system.

Since the last 5 years most of the high performance chainsaws at the market have microprocessors built in to control ignition timing and cut-out etc.

So theese products developed and tested right, they will probably be a big leap forward...

even in the 361

You know, electronics have been inside the ignitions since the 1970. Microcomputers where tested in Stihl during the 80:s and introduced to the market in the 90:s in the ignition system.

Since the last 5 years most of the high performance chainsaws at the market have microprocessors built in to control ignition timing and cut-out etc.

So theese products developed and tested right, they will probably be a big leap forward...

Even the almighty 361 is equipped with microprocessor controlled ignition module.

Latest posts

Back