something i always wandered about!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think saws are as good as they need to be right now performance wise. Just like cars were back in the 60's...if you start messing with saws like they did with cars back in the 70's and 80's, that means we have 20 + years of crap coming our way before they get things figured out...

I'm not interested in sawing with a Stihl Pinto.

Your MS 440 is an icon, and I love the 044/440 saws, but if you run a 362 C-M you will find that it cuts just as well and is lighter and more fuel efficient. Sithil has the technology down. I loved my old Mustangs also (I'm currently on # 10), but if you built one with the same performance as what I've got now it would not get 1/2 the gas mileage and would likely not like unleaded fuel. And as my nephew (MechanicMatt) likes to tease me "Uncle Mike, you even have air conditioning and power windows". Technology is good when it works.

Your MS 440 is an icon, and I love the 044/440 saws, but if you run a 362 C-M you will find that it cuts just as well and is lighter and more fuel efficient. Sithil has the technology down. I loved my old Mustangs also (I'm currently on # 10), but if you built one with the same performance as what I've got now it would not get 1/2 the gas mileage and would likely not like unleaded fuel. And as my nephew (MechanicMatt) likes to tease me "Uncle Mike, you even have air conditioning and power windows". Technology is good when it works.
Yeah maybe...but all I need it to do is cut wood. I'm not looking into gas mileage on a saw. Of all the gasoline that goes into the production and delivery of firewood, the saw uses by far the least amount of fuel. Savings there in fuel consumption would be negligible at best in dollars saved. Yes my MS660 has all the power I would ever need and starts right up. In the woods I need simplicity and fewer parts to break. Just my opinion, and I've got nothing against technology and admittedly have never run an M-tronic saw. I'm just being the devil's advocate here.

Yeah maybe...but all I need it to do is cut wood. I'm not looking into gas mileage on a saw. Of all the gasoline that goes into the production and delivery of firewood, the saw uses by far the least amount of fuel. Savings there in fuel consumption would be negligible at best in dollars saved. Yes my MS660 has all the power I would ever need and starts right up. In the woods I need simplicity and fewer parts to break. Just my opinion, and I've got nothing against technology and admittedly have never run an M-tronic saw. I'm just being the devil's advocate here.

Nothing wrong with using whatever works for you, and I hope I did not imply there was. And yes, those are all saws to be proud of, although I don't think I would want to carry the 660 too far (maybe when I was younger). As long as your saw is reliable and cuts well, that is all that matters, and if money were no object I would also have one of the classic Mustangs again (67 - 70 Fastback) with a built big block! But since I have numerous interests, including Saws, Cars, Guns and Bikes (with pedals) I need to balance things sometimes.

That's neither here nor there, here's why;

Do you own or remember two or four barrel V8 with hydramatic or its equivalent? Hit the pedal and it kicks right in. On the newer stuff, there is some hesitation noticeable to the driver where the computer is computing instead of get the ,)!@ out of Dodge. There are times it has to figure out what the operator just did thus the lag. Does it apply to saws? Now it does.

I think much of it resides on doing the bar-off calibration with your M-Tronic, though. If you do it periodically, they stay snappy.

Both of these statements are utter nonsense based on a total lack of understanding of how the systems work. Do Stihl or Husky recommend having their saws recalibrated if there is nothing wrong with them?

I don't think the autotune stuff is that intelligent. It doesn't have a throttle position sensor, MAF sensor, exhaust sensor, ambient air sensor, knock sensor, economy/sports mode, 3D mapping, or any sort of real memory.

It just keeps the fuel mix right.
It isn't that intelligent really - it can only adjust the mixture at WOT. It doesn't need all those sensors because it is doing a periodic lean out test and looking at the result as shown in the rpm. This may not be all that accurate, but a traditional chainsaw carb is SO bad at mixture control it doesn't need to be. It's still a huge improvement.

In a car, many of those sensors are used for when the engine is running open loop, and others are used to adjust response curves. A vehicle engine must have an accurate mixture under a wide variety of operating conditions, where a saw really just has to run WOT. The vehicle engine is primarily using the O2 sensors for feedback when running closed loop.

404_58JL_RoundGround.jpg

We do a lot of work on our saws that Stihl and Husky didn't recommend. We also work on our saws when nothing is wrong with them.
Calibrating them will accomplish nothing unless you make some major change. Any feedback system needs to start off with something that is reasonably close in order to be stable, and to function when it's not in feedback mode (off WOT, acceleration, etc.). Those programmed parameters don't need to change, any more than you need to keep changing something like metering lever height on a saw has not been modified or repaired since it was set up last.

When it is running at WOT then it is doing its lean out test and that stuff doesn't matter much, which compensates for a wide range of changes (even including ripped boots, etc.). This is not a pre-programmed fuel delivery curve, it is a feedback control system.

In my opinion simple is the best like the 12 valve cummins it has the most power potential of a cummins in a truck also lasts the longest and its all mechanically injected. Nothing related to saws but its just tried and true.

Latest posts

Back