Sounds like a new lineup from Oregon PowerNow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glowdot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got my new PowerNow from Oregon and love it. I use it for clearing an 18 mile mountain bike trail that weaves in and around neighborhoods, etc.. There are ALWAYS trees coming down after a big wind storm as the loop is mainly on high ground. Oaks, birches and maples are common. There are still lots of downed trees on the loop from an early winter storm we got last October. I used my gas chainsaw for some but for the areas closer to homes I simply used a bow saw and pruners that really didn't do the job well but I didnt want to make a lot of noise.
This saw gave me the ability to cut down hangers, leaners and widow makers without disturbing ANYONE! :) The saw looks and feel great. It ius well balanced and the 14" bar gives it a bigger saw feel (although you can't use it like a 14" gas saw). You have to let it take its time and cut...and believe me it cuts! The sharpening system is unique and works well...it sharpens the top edge only, but that's all that seems to need sharpening. Just a few pushes with the sharpening lever and whoolaa!! Pretty cool when you are out hiking on the trail and dont want to break out the file and find a place to sharpen it. Battery life with the Standard battery was OK (8 complete cuts on a fresh wet 10" oak). It was a hot day, so maybe it would have lasted longer in colder weather? I have the Endurance battery also and that has lasted much longer. The rep from Oregon told me that they are working on a larger Amp-hour battery (probably to compete with the Stihl).

The really good news is that they are developing a lineup of tools that hopefully can be purchased individually and will run on the same batteries. Line trimmer, pole saw and others were mentioned.

I am very glad I purchased this saw. It's quiet, lightweight, and cuts extremely well.

Great first post Buddy! Hang around this place is the balls. Rep points coming your way. Welcome. Russ

I thought that the Oregon add said 100 up to 200 cuts with there battery saw ?

Pretty much.

8 cuts on a 10" oak is not what I was expecting.
Bad battery pack maybe?

A good Bow saw is a lot cheaper and lighter if not.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Any tool has a capacity. This saw works best on stuff up to about 4 to 6 inches. I have buried the full bar and cut up to 14 inch spruce and oak with it, but would not rely on it for that size wood on a regular basis. The chain speed is slower than many gas saws, but in the right size wood, it would leave your bow saw saw in the dust.

Philbert

Any tool has a capacity. This saw works best on stuff up to about 4 to 6 inches. I have buried the full bar and cut up to 14 inch spruce and oak with it, but would not rely on it for that size wood on a regular basis. The chain speed is slower than many gas saws, but in the right size wood, it would leave your bow saw saw in the dust.

Philbert

Bow saws would be much slower. But only for the first 8 cuts of twenty.;)
Don't cut the bow saw short. For that matter, in 4-6" wood, a good Silky isn't much slower than a small gas saw, and just a little more work.

I was expecting much better utility out of the thing. Short battery life simply restricts its practical application.
If there is actual work to be done, I don't know too many people that would tolerate farting around with such toys.

To each thier own though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Oregon doesn't need to change their lineup, they need to change their price. For$200-250, I'd consider it for those times I have a branch or two down in the yard. For $400 ($500 with the big battery), it's a slow pos next to my PS420 Dolmar which was a bit under 3 bills, and will run for 30+ minutes of hard cutting on a tank of gas.

City slickers and enviro nuts can have this saw, till the price matches the performance, I ain't interested.

Oregon doesn't need to change their lineup, they need to change their price. For$200-250, I'd consider it for those times I have a branch or two down in the yard. For $400 ($500 with the big battery), it's a slow pos next to my PS420 Dolmar which was a bit under 3 bills, and will run for 30+ minutes of hard cutting on a tank of gas.

City slickers and enviro nuts can have this saw, till the price matches the performance, I ain't interested.

LOL!!

Silky pocket boy runs about 40 bucks. Weighs about 1/2 a lb and fits in a cargo pocket.
half a dozen swipes will cut 2-3" limbs when loppers aren't handy. A dozen or so will take care of 3-4" stuff.

For 12 bucks, the cheapo corona prune saws we hand out to our crew, do a quick job on 6-8" stuff all friggin day long...and no battery needed.
They might weigh in around 2 lbs.
The bigger Silkys will shame most 30cc saws in 6-8" wood.

Yeah.
Oregon has some work to do.
Storm clean up means loss of electrical power most times. 16 cuts and done? LOL!!

Meh...I hope Oregon rakes in the $$ from the yuppies.
When they get disgusted with the toy, they will go buy a saw...which is good for the dealers.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

reply...

There are applications for this saw that make it a valuable tool for someone like myself trying to maintain 18 miles of mountain biking trails...yeah, the price is fairly high but the advantages of being able to QUIETLY cut trees close to neighboring backyards and other residential areas are fantastic.
I have MANY gas saws (3 Stihl, 2 McCulloughs and 1 Homelite) and of course they work much better but attract too much attention by the tree huggers and environmentalists.

When I say 8 cuts on a 10" oak...that was the standard battery and I was working fast and furious to get to work...and I may have overheated the battery? I have since used the saw with the Endurance battery and I have been getting 7-8 cuts on 14" oak letting the saw cut at a more reasonable rate. This saw and blade definitely cuts differently when compared to a gas saw with leverage teeth. I spoke to the rep from Oregon and he told me that they purposely don't put leverage teeth on the saw so that you are forced to simply let the saw cut without forcing it (this heats the batteries and uses them up quicker). The Powersharp blade works efficiently and requires a different technique but I guess that's what makes the saw effectibe enough to cut through 14" oak (QUIETLY!) ..

I made up a backpack holder for hiking in with my old MS191T from and old ALICE pack and frame....this saw fits perfectly in the same holder but now I don't have to carry gas. Now I just hike the 18 miles and carry an extra battery, bow saw and pruners. I get the small stuff with the bow and pruners but the chainsaw lets me cut the big stuff with ease....and it's soooo quiet!

Here's a pic of my View attachment 245247

Your pic didnt work. So here is some of the one I tested with.

powernow010.jpg

powernow009.jpg

powernow007.jpg

powernow005.jpg

powernow001.jpg

There are applications for this saw that make it a valuable tool for someone like myself trying to maintain 18 miles of mountain biking trails...yeah, the price is fairly high but the advantages of being able to QUIETLY cut trees close to neighboring backyards and other residential areas are fantastic.
I have MANY gas saws (3 Stihl, 2 McCulloughs and 1 Homelite) and of course they work much better but attract too much attention by the tree huggers and environmentalists.

When I say 8 cuts on a 10" oak...that was the standard battery and I was working fast and furious to get to work...and I may have overheated the battery? I have since used the saw with the Endurance battery and I have been getting 7-8 cuts on 14" oak letting the saw cut at a more reasonable rate. This saw and blade definitely cuts differently when compared to a gas saw with leverage teeth. I spoke to the rep from Oregon and he told me that they purposely don't put leverage teeth on the saw so that you are forced to simply let the saw cut without forcing it (this heats the batteries and uses them up quicker). The Powersharp blade works efficiently and requires a different technique but I guess that's what makes the saw effectibe enough to cut through 14" oak (QUIETLY!) ..

I made up a backpack holder for hiking in with my old MS191T from and old ALICE pack and frame....this saw fits perfectly in the same holder but now I don't have to carry gas. Now I just hike the 18 miles and carry an extra battery, bow saw and pruners. I get the small stuff with the bow and pruners but the chainsaw lets me cut the big stuff with ease....and it's soooo quiet!

Here's a pic of my View attachment 245247

--I can get quite a bit of wood in the tractor box with mine by working smarter. I use a fiskars hatchet for the tiny stuff I leave behind, at the top and ends of branches. Then switching to the battery saw, all the cuts result in "keeper" wood and I try to restrict it to under 4" diameter. After that I switch to a gas saw and work my way back to the main trunk and butt end of the log. Pretty much always start at the top end of a felled tree and milk the branches out, I don't like leaving brush piles.

Mine is also my goto saw for around the yard.

I did a lot of measuring and cutting (documented in my long term review thread) and if this was my only saw I could still get all the firewood I use in a year double easy by only running out one battery charge a day, and in a pinch, I can use my solar panels to keep it charged up.

...that's a great idea!!.... the solar charging system for off-site charging applications!

The saw with Li-On batteries should last a long time and with the possibility of additional attachments that use the same battery, I think it might be the right choice when compared to other rechargeable saws on the market right now (even the Stihl...especially considering bar length and price)

PS: .... zogger, that's a beautiful bench you have your saw laying on...looks better than my dining room table :)

If you're voluntarily cleaning & clearing trails used by the community, the noise of a gas chainsaw shouldn't be an issue for the residents.

I'm also thinking that some of the comments read like "customer testimonials" that were actually written by some folks working in Orgegon public relations and/or advertising.

your replys and posts are sounding like you work /sponsored by oregon.

I was given a saw, but only after I ran it for a day and I didn't know I was going to get it. There was no quid pro quo involved either way. I've been completely up front about it from my first post on it. I was just asked to try it out in real world testing, so I did, it was fun, and since then I have learned to use it better, to see how much I could get, how much real world work could be done, using the saw and battery wisely. It's all in my thread. They asked me to keep using it and comment on it as I used it, so I was glad to do that, and I most definetly would have done that anyway.. It's a nice tool. I think about it the same way or similar as when I got my first good quality useful battery operated drill...YES! Fills a niche.

As to prices, they are in the ballpark with the other high end battery saw guys, now including stihl, husky and bosch. Similar saw prices, similar battery prices, so that must be roughly what they cost to produce plus some profit.

This saw has a lot going for it for the 99.999% saw users out there who aren't saw fanatics ,primarily, people who just need a saw around the house. It WILL work when you pick it up, even sitting for a year. No yank starting. No stale mix to deal with. Quiet, can run o dark thirty AM in the 'burbs and not bother anyone. Etc. And it works. I have one stack of around I guess three cord I did with it, good wood, you can't tell by looking it wasn't cut with a gasser.

So, if that sounds like I work or them, no, just my reporting on it because we just don't get too many electrics or battery saws here to talk about. Apparently now several guys here have them and we all like them, so that says something. If I thought it sucked, I would say that.

I've been here long enough people can see I ain't shy with my opinions at-all, but I think it is a useful tool and glad I have one to include with my other saws. It's also the only saw here that my GF can start and run and use, another bonus. She has arthritis in her hands bad and just can't pull start stuff, this saw is easy for her to use. I would imagine there are quite literally tens of millions in the USA in her situation who might need a small saw around the house but just can't deal with any gassers, or using a handsaw much either from similar physical type reasons.

...Hahhh!! I wish I worked for Oregon...maybe they would have given me a free one and I wouldn't have had to shell out 500 clams for it :)

....according to your pic, it looks like you work for Metrex Bodybuilding :)

All kidding aside, this is a good saw...and I actually never thought I would say that about a rechargeable chainsaw. As far as volunteering to clear the trails...that's all good if you are out there during the weekday...but when your only day off is Sunday and the neighbors like peace and quiet, then the electric fits the bill.

Just my opinion....

Last edited:
...but when your only day off is Sunday and the neighbors like peace and quiet, then the electric fits the bill.QUOTE]

I have several electric chainsaws - the relative quiet of these saws are one of their advantages, in the right situation. The battery powered saws do not have the power of my larger electric saws (13 amps), but offer the trade off of no cords for grab-and-go convenience and remote use.

As Zog has noted several times - they will only get better, like the cordless drills, etc.

Philbert

Yes, I agree they will get better and better due to advances in battery technology...hopefully cheaper too!

I still LOVE my gas saws, however, each definitely has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

You can cut logs all day for firewood with a gas saw, file, bar oil and 2-stroke gas mix ... with minimal "down time"...The electric will require charging time and time to cool down if you overheat the batteries for this application. So, hands down the gas saw wins this one.

For opening trails in areas where you have to hike long distances and don't want to carry a gas saw (and maybe extra gas) on your back...the electric wins hands down. Also, this new sharpening system on the Oregon allows you to sharpen the blade in about 2 seconds...another advantage for the hiker.

Latest posts

Back