Sounds like a new lineup from Oregon PowerNow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're voluntarily cleaning & clearing trails used by the community, the noise of a gas chainsaw shouldn't be an issue for the residents.

I'm also thinking that some of the comments read like "customer testimonials" that were actually written by some folks working in Orgegon public relations and/or advertising.

Problem is, Massachusetts is the California of the northeast ;)

You can cut logs all day for firewood with a gas saw, . .

You need to be just a little careful with the descriptions - I can cut all day with my electric saws - they run off of extension cords (cords used to create cords of wood!).

The battery-powered saws require an extra battery, and a method of charging, to do fairly continuous work. Standard practice for carpenters, tradesmen, etc., with their battery powered tools.

I was skeptical about the PowerSharp system, until I tried it. This is something that can be used on almost any 3/8 Low Profile saw with the bar end sharpening cassette (not built in like on the Oregon 40V). Still pretty convenient if you get a belt pouch to carry the cassette. They indicated that they would be coming out with a version for .325 chain, maybe by later this summer.

Philbert

OK...so I've been messing with this saw a lot lately and I found out one important thing:

It cuts very well and the battery lasts for a long, long time when you don't put any pressure on the blade and just let it take it's time and cut ... I can now almost get twice the cuts and have been even cutting 14" fresh oak. It takes about 3 times longer than if I use my MS 270 (yellow chain)....but it gets the job done when I need to keep the noise down. I worked until dark last night and never bothered the neighbors...Great little saw and powerful too. You just got to keep an extra battery charged and ready. Batteries charge fast too.

Fits a certain need but definitely not a replacement for when I need to do bulk firewood....that's when I break out the Stihl, a can of gas, earmuffs, eyewear, chaps, gloves and go to town.

That is a very fair assessment. You need to let the tool do the work, and it will not compete with even a modest sized gas saw on speed.

It will offer advantages in certain applications, where noise, emissions, storage of gas, pull starting, etc. are an issue.

Philbert

i am not bashing the OP at all,, but for the money these sell for i would perfer to spend that money on a nice little stihl,, huskie or even a poulan,, so what 2 strokers are not as quite,, but at least i know i make a bunch more cuts per tank verses battery,, sure this saw has its place but not in the woods,, this is just my opinion so shoot me

Better factor in the cost of a new battery every few years. Li-ions will go when they go. It's kind of a crapshoot. Every time I drop $100 on another Makita 3ah I die a little inside, but there's no getting around it in trade work.

Better factor in the cost of a new battery every few years. Li-ions will go when they go. It's kind of a crapshoot. Every time I drop $100 on another Makita 3ah I die a little inside, but there's no getting around it in trade work.

When you use it and need a recharge, drop some change into a can. At 1000 charges, that should be enough for a new batt easy. Just think about goinjg to the station to get a gallon or two of gas for the mix..same deal. Just don't wait, save the change, the loot will be there when you need a new battery.

Latest posts

Back