Speeco with wedge on beam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks factory to me. The welds and the design including the under mount hydraulic tank. However I can find a matching one online anywhere. So maybe someone pieced this thing together. I split with it for about an hour and it worked flawlessly. Even the pump handle with the makeshift visegrips worked ok!
All that matters is that it splits wood. The splitter I currently use is a homebuilt splitter my uncle built about 20 years ago. It is "unrated" but I have not found anything it won't split (yet). I am planning on buying a (DHT) on black Friday this year. The downside to the current splitter is that it is too low to the ground. My back gets pretty tired after a long day of splitting. You do all your work bent over.

Looks home built to me...

4.25" cylinder (which is an odd size, its probably a 4") would be just a hair over 21 tons at 3000 psi. And even that's based on an actual 4.25 inches. the piston will be smaller than the outside of the cylinder.
It very well could be home built but I don't think it is. Not that it really matters I was just hoping someone would recognize it. I threw a wide variety of wood species and it didn't hesitate at 1/2 throttle. No leaks and runs smoothly and fairly quick for such a long stroke. I'm pretty happy for $325.

All that matters is that it splits wood. The splitter I currently use is a homebuilt splitter my uncle built about 20 years ago. It is "unrated" but I have not found anything it won't split (yet). I am planning on buying a (DHT) on black Friday this year. The downside to the current splitter is that it is too low to the ground. My back gets pretty tired after a long day of splitting. You do all your work bent over.
I understand that. I usually block up my splitter to a more comfortable working height.

It worked perfectly all day. I did two pickup loads like this today splitting right into my pickup. Then I just back the truck up to the wood shed and start stacking. The kids help me by crawling up in the box and tossing them out or at least closer to the tailgate. IMG_20150926_34774.jpg

mn woodcutter, I buy a lot of used stuff and repairing it or finding parts for it is always a treat. I never guess on a manufacturer by the replacable parts on a machine. In your case the motor, pump, slide and cylinder are all parts that could be taken off and replaced with almost anything. I would look for a splitter with the same design of welded on wedge and beam and compare it to figure out the brand.

mn woodcutter, I buy a lot of used stuff and repairing it or finding parts for it is always a treat. I never guess on a manufacturer by the replacable parts on a machine. In your case the motor, pump, slide and cylinder are all parts that could be taken off and replaced with almost anything. I would look for a splitter with the same design of welded on wedge and beam and compare it to figure out the brand.
Yeah I think you are right. Either way it's been working well so far with very little invested.

Well I guess this proves that it's factory and not a custom job. I found this one on CL and it's a mirror image of mine. His is just shiny and a different motor!00l0l_afzUqcfF8a1_600x450.jpg

0502111752.jpg IMG_0046.jpg IMG_0506.JPG
I believe this is what you have. This one I bought used thirty three years ago. It has volkswagon wheels, Honda GX 200 engine, single stage pump, great wedge, and longer tongue. Sold it this spring for $500. with the table, and worth every penny. Great splitter.

Yeah looks similar. The wedge is very nice. Extremely sharp. I would like to add a work table and bigger tires. Thanks for posting that.

Longer tongue. Much easier to back up. Also, if you enlarge the middle photo you will see 'stroke reducing collars' on the cylinder shaft to limit the return stroke. The original valve was replaced with a detent, a third engine because the second one became hard starting. Although, once started it still ran well. The cylinder is original. It does need to be level side to side because the box axle tube is the hydraulic resevour (spelling?) and oil will come out the breather. Hated to sell it after so long. Replaced it after getting a SuperSplit and TW-6 with log lift for the big stuff or I'd still be using it. K car or mini van rear axles are cheap at the junk yard to jack it up. Mine had split shackles or straps bolted around the box tube and axle. Not pretty but worked. It had been raised up to pull behind a tractor in an orchard before I got it.

Longer tongue. Much easier to back up. Also, if you enlarge the middle photo you will see 'stroke reducing collars' on the cylinder shaft to limit the return stroke. The original valve was replaced with a detent, a third engine because the second one became hard starting. Although, once started it still ran well. The cylinder is original. It does need to be level side to side because the box axle tube is the hydraulic resevour (spelling?) and oil will come out the breather. Hated to sell it after so long. Replaced it after getting a SuperSplit and TW-6 with log lift for the big stuff or I'd still be using it. K car or mini van rear axles are cheap at the junk yard to jack it up. Mine had split shackles or straps bolted around the box tube and axle. Not pretty but worked. It had been raised up to pull behind a tractor in an orchard before I got it.
I would like to build a work table similar to this. I want to back my pickup right up to it in the woods.Screenshot_2015-10-02-09-38-34.pngScreenshot_2015-10-02-09-38-34.png

Hey that is the same splitter that I have . 20 ton . with 5 h,p. b & Stratton motor. my uncle got it brand new back in 1977 I think . at a farm & fleet store . has ben a good machine .

IMG_1558.jpg IMG_1557.jpg IMG_1561.jpg IMG_1560.jpg IMG_1559.jpg IMG_1556.jpg
More photos. These are the photos I was thinking of, but could not find yesterday. They show a simple design where the axle is out of the work area, and the wedge first cuts, then spreads the split. Half a stroke or less is all most wood needs. The stepped table worked on either side. The table (height and size, before and after the wedge), the wedge, and stroke reducing collars made a nice package. Last photo is when it did not start. Cleaned flywheel up, and in business.

View attachment 451412 View attachment 451413 View attachment 451414 View attachment 451416 View attachment 451418 View attachment 451419
More photos. These are the photos I was thinking of, but could not find yesterday. They show a simple design where the axle is out of the work area, and the wedge first cuts, then spreads the split. Half a stroke or less is all most wood needs. The stepped table worked on either side. The table (height and size, before and after the wedge), the wedge, and stroke reducing collars made a nice package. Last photo is when it did not start. Cleaned flywheel up, and in business.
How did you make your stroke reducing collars? That would be the ticket. Thanks for the pictures!

Yep, farmers use them on disks and such to pre-set the depth.

Latest posts

Back