Split 1 Cord of Douglas Fir with A Fiskars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all the way up the flared out wings i'd say 2.5 inches up the pro
and 1" up the ss

Yep, one inch fits my experience - meaning most of it still is there!

The main question though, is how the Stihl branded ones are better????:yoyo::yoyo:

Is this thread actually taking place?

A maul is a maul, most that I have used where duller than Ben Stein, but they split wood. heavier is better though, at least for the big rounds. . .

yep, one inch fits my experience - meaning most of it still is there!

The main question though, is how the stihl branded ones are better????:yoyo::yoyo:

just the black coating, feels different
more like power coat rather then the anodized coating of the reg. Fiskars

everything else seams the same

The funniest part of this thread is that the OP never says he split a cord of wood in 10 mins. He states if he was to make a vid he would have to be able to split a cord in 10 mins, the length of time his camera would be able to record such a vid. Also jokingly says that he would have to make it a half cord due to the short recording timeline.
Pioneerguy600

Is this thread actually taking place?

A maul is a maul, most that I have used where duller than Ben Stein, but they split wood. heavier is better though, at least for the big rounds. . .

Sounds like you should stay out of this thread, as you obviously don't have a clue about the topic! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I am really going to split for 10 Minutes

I am not Joking. I am planning on getting 128 cubic feet of wood split up into nice small pieces in 10 minutes. You Tube limits the video to 10 Minutes, so that is where the 10 minutes comes from.

I have never timed myself, so I can't gaurantee a full cord, but we will see how close I will get.

I am leaving town Thursday at 6 am and will be back on Monday, so I am planning on knocking this out next week.

I will follow up then with a video!

Catch you later!

I bought a Fiskars about a year ago. I consider it OK. Like Sawtroll mentioned, the handle is too short. I tend to use my old generic maul more so.

Ive seen one of them before, sucky unless the wood is just right. . .

True, they can bounce off of certain species. We learned growing up never to try to split elm with it.

But if you have a pile of dry oak, those dogs will make the pieces fly with little effort.

I've got some logs in my woodpile that are of some unknown wood species. It was only one log without any bark, so I don't know what it is (but I'm going to find out so I never touch the stuff again). The stuff is IMPOSSIBLE to split, you can make a small dent, but that's all. Hell, my chainsaw cringes when I approach the stuff.

I'm thinking of sneaking around town and throwing a few logs in various people's wood piles as a joke.

The funniest part of this thread is that the OP never says he split a cord of wood in 10 mins. He states if he was to make a vid he would have to be able to split a cord in 10 mins, the length of time his camera would be able to record such a vid. Also jokingly says that he would have to make it a half cord due to the short recording timeline.
Pioneerguy600

That's how I read it too...looks like he's going to give it a go though.

The 4.5 pound Fiskars is a nice tool. Well-designed, so it splits like it was 3 pounds heavier than it is.

I bought a Fiskars about a year ago. I consider it OK. Like Sawtroll mentioned, the handle is too short. I tend to use my old generic maul more so.

I disagree that it is too short, but when standing, I like a wooden piece that is 20-24" high under the one I am splitting - that is just how it is done here.

I really like the Fiskar and I have split 20 plus cord this season of Beetle Kill Spruce. This stuff is dry, clear and straight and some of it I can buck split and load in under two hours. I usually allow two hours to split and load a cord. Now at sub zero any thing will split. The green birch can make the Fiskar bounce back.

Latest posts

Back