Split or left round

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KH-1958

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Michigan - kinda in the middle of the mitten
Being new to this forum and having a new OWB- Woodmaster 4400, I have a question; Is it best to burn spilt wood or keep it in rounds? I have both on hand and have split my Maple and Oak for next year. I have some seasoned wood that is split and some Ash that could be split.

:givebeer:

Being new to this forum and having a new OWB- Woodmaster 4400, I have a question; Is it best to burn spilt wood or keep it in rounds? I have both on hand and have split my Maple and Oak for next year. I have some seasoned wood that is split and some Ash that could be split.

:givebeer:

KH...welcome to the forum...i live in Caro just about an hour south of you...any way I have an indoor furnace and i burn the split to get a good hot bed of coals and then use the rounds for all nighters....and the split in the morn again to get her going strong...I would think the OWB would use the same principle..The weather just said we are in for apx 6'' by mon morn, hope you have your wood ready...DW:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
My OWB loves rounds...... The rule I use if it is to large or heavy for me to lift, and fit into my Hardy door, I split it....Other than that I use all rounds.

That ash will split easy.... that is one wood I love to split by hand.

Welcome to AS.

My OWB loves rounds...... The rule I use if it is to large or heavy for me to lift, and fit into my Hardy door, I split it....Other than that I use all rounds.

That ash will split easy.... that is one wood I love to split by hand.

Welcome to AS.

what he said....then some smaller if wifey loads it anouther thing that i do this may be be bad advice so take it for whatever its worth or forget it. my firebox is 30 long and 20 wide i cut most of my wood 24 long and some 18. the 18 is for my shop stove. if i load it(owb) in a criss cross 24 long 18 cross stack it seems to burn the creosote off the sides and give me better bang for my buck.i have no data to back this up it just seems to work better.

wood has fibers that carry internal water up and down.

so, if you cut it to length, it will dry pretty danged quick.

if you split it, it will dry a little bit quicker yet.

from there, i don't think it really matters as long as it fits into the stove.

Rounds burn longer because they have less surface area.
Smaller rounds require less handling before use.
Splits burn faster and get things going quicker.
Splits dry quicker and are easier for smaller hands to carry to the wood eater.

I guess it could depend on the weather, how cold or warm it is at the time you are burning. If you need more heat throw in the splits so you have plenty of surface area of wood to burn. If it is warmer or you are going to be gone longer than expected pack it with rounds to keep it in there longer. There is no one right way to burn for all situations just some ways work better than others for the situation at hand.

MY grandpa (rest his soul)

would always stack bottom row bark side down.. every piece above that should be bark side up to shed water. Makes perfectly good sense to me.

wood has fibers that carry internal water up and down.

so, if you cut it to length, it will dry pretty danged quick.

if you split it, it will dry a little bit quicker yet.

from there, i don't think it really matters as long as it fits into the stove.

This is not so. Split a round that has been sitting for a year and you will see the extent to which it has dried...less than an inch.The only way to dry most wood is to split it.It will rot before it dries because the water can not leave through the small area exposed at the ends.It will get lighter, but only because it has rotted.

The most important fact ( IMHO ) would be is it a draft setup or a fan forced induction system. If a draft door simply opens, I'd split it.. If its a fan forced system.. well lets just say they are a lot more forgiving.

:cheers:

Regarding the above post.. :agree2: that split wood is far preferable than simply cutting it to length. And.. I've got plently of standing and fallen junk wood to prove just cause its dead doesn't mean its seasoned. Almost all of the junk I've put in mine had rotten wood up to 80 percent of the volume. But its quick and if its not puking it back out............... its amazing how many people think a standing dead tree is seasoned.

:jawdrop:

KH...welcome to the forum...i live in Caro just about an hour south of you...any way I have an indoor furnace and i burn the split to get a good hot bed of coals and then use the rounds for all nighters....and the split in the morn again to get her going strong...I would think the OWB would use the same principle..The weather just said we are in for apx 6'' by mon morn, hope you have your wood ready...DW:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Thanks, I will save my rounds for the night and leave my splits for othertimes. I spent yesterday getting my woodshed and wood stacked. Yes I am ready!! Let it snow!

:cheers:

If I can lift it then it doesn't get split. You'll enjoy your 4400...I've got a 5500 and love it. I don't split too much, occasionaly get into some wood over 22" or so and I do split those.
Happy burning!

Latest posts

Back