springboard notch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw goes bar down with hand on trigger handle, other hand on board. That support the hop down. If panicked leave the saw.
Gets a bit more complicated if you're up there two boards high or more.
My Dads step-father told about topping a tree off of a springboard at about a 100'. Pretty sure he didn't bail.

Okay, everybody knows how to make a springboard and most people know how to use one. Most of us know how to get up on the board and do our work once we get there.

What I want to see are suggestions or videos, or even pictures, of getting down from the board. As in when you've stayed on the hinge just a bit too long and really have to bail out. Gracefully. Not landing in a heap. Not having to look for your saw. Not losing more than the normal amount of hide off your elbows and knees. Not rolling down the hill while trying to scramble to your feet 'cause maybe that stick you just backed up is headed your way. Graceful, controlled springboard exits. :laugh:

How 'bout it?

I'm glad your standards are so high Bob. Since I don't do anything gracefully I'm off the re posting a video. The fact is that I use a springboard every few years and when I do I look like a monkey fu...well you get the idea.

Nice stick indeed!We've got a block coming up this year cruised at just over 1000 cubic meters/hectare (sorry for all my friends south of the border, you'll have to convert that!) I'll try and get some pics. Haven't seen it yet, don't think there's an abundance of big wood in it, likely thick with 3-4 footers. Perfect production wood!

Holy horses! I'd like to see that. That must be tall timber too. The personal record I have ever measured was a Norwegian spruce stand a bit over 600 cubic meters/hectare. That was a rarity around here. The timber wasn't very large, but it was a quite dense stand, 1000 trees/hectare. It was some dark forest.

Yep, a very nice Fir. Too bad some of these lads won't see a 8 foot peeler, let alone fall one.
I learned to set board holes from my Grandad, it took a bit. The first time I saw Ray put one in he used his big Homelite, flipped driveside up and dabbed at the trunk from 6 feet away.

Here's a pic of my favorite springboard. It's only 5' long but long enough to work away from the stump. Notice the horseshoe type lip on the end. The thing I like about this is that when inserted into the notch, you can take your outside foot and hook it under the board and hop around on the board to get into another position. You're not stuck in one spot all the time like making a board out of a sapling.

Yep, those be the ones.
oaks003.jpg

Dammit Randy any time you get the chance you pull your big wood out! Haha. Man that musta been some patch!

BitzerBob!!!
Somebody has to.
Of the dozen or so Redwood guys in here, there are damn few photos.
I'll look through my Darius Kinsey picture books, to see if I can find Gologit.

BitzerBob!!!
Somebody has to.
Randy, if you have some pics of you falling and bucking some redwoods I'd love to see them. That's one area I'd love to learn about. I've fallen 3 of them with a 3/8s chain and now see why the guys say that you need 404 or bigger. All 3 of them were right next to FS historic buildings and the trees had to go rather than the buildings. As far as I'm concerned the trees should have stayed.

Randy, if you have some pics of you falling and bucking some redwoods I'd love to see them. That's one area I'd love to learn about. I've fallen 3 of them with a 3/8s chain and now see why the guys say that you need 404 or bigger. All 3 of them were right next to FS historic buildings and the trees had to go rather than the buildings. As far as I'm concerned the trees should have stayed.

But that would have removed a hideout for the fire guys. :msp_biggrin: Couldn't help that. Those trees were nice though. Did they get sold? I did not hear what became of them.

There are still some big ones at the north end of the other historic warehouse. They shouldn't be in the way of anything.

Good morning, SlowP.
Yes, you're right. It would have made it difficult for them. Those were nice trees. That's when I found out that 3/8s chain binds up with the sapwood. Talk about fight. My saw wandered and I could just barely stop it.
Those were sold to Ben Davis and he has a Berg band saw like mine. He milled up those logs into siding for his new home. Looks real nice.
We had talked about falling those other trees on the north end but as you said, they were not threatening anything.

But that would have removed a hideout for the fire guys. :msp_biggrin: Couldn't help that. Those trees were nice though. Did they get sold? I did not hear what became of them.

There are still some big ones at the north end of the other historic warehouse. They shouldn't be in the way of anything.

Here's a few pics of the last one by the building.

Sequoiadendron giganteum, the "other" Redwood.

I'd never been around them until I went up on the Tule reservation to help cut the shade trees around them. The grand fir, I guess that's what they were, were growing too close to this stand and sucking up the sunlight from the Sequoias. I can see why the Indians thought there was some sort of spiritual thing going on with them. The thought of cutting them down never crossed my mind. Trees don't last forever but I'd still hate to see them cut. Beautiful trees.

BitzerBob!!!
Somebody has to.

I can't even wrap my head around that size of wood. Just crazy to me. Thats the type of stuff that keeps me coming around here. Just awesome!

Hey, I'm not that old ! :laugh: I do have some pictures somewhere from that era of my Grandfather and his brother up on boards chopping out the face of an old growth redwood. I don't know if they're Kinsey or not, they're copies of copies. My Grandfather was much in demand as a faller because he could chop right or left handed.

He always told me not to go logging. But he came out to watch the day I put my first big one on the ground by myself. Walked off mumbling to himself..."well, that kid is a goner now for sure. He'll never want to do anything else." He was right.

I wish we had taken more pictures in those days. It just wasn't something we thought much about.

Hey, I'm not that old ! :laugh: I do have some pictures somewhere from that era of my Grandfather and his brother up on boards chopping out the face of an old growth redwood. I don't know if they're Kinsey or not, they're copies of copies. My Grandfather was much in demand as a faller because he could chop right or left handed.

He always told me not to go logging. But he came out to watch the day I put my first big one on the ground by myself. Walked off mumbling to himself..."well, that kid is a goner now for sure. He'll never want to do anything else." He was right.

I wish we had taken more pictures in those days. It just wasn't something we thought much about.

Isn't that the truth, Bob!? I remember bugging my Dad for years to teach me. He wouldn't have anything to do with it. I was actually planning on going to university ( I did start.....lol).

Finally one day he relented and we went out. Watched him with the first one and then just to get his goat, blurted out "Wow! Dad, that was AWESOME!!! I'm going to be a faller for sure!!!!" He looked at me and said "Like HELL you are!!! I knew I shouldn't have shown you that!**&^^&*$%&^*&&#" lol So off I went to university, yet strangely enough, here I am! lol

Sawdust in my veins I guess! Can't fight it!

Isn't that the truth, Bob!? I remember bugging my Dad for years to teach me. He wouldn't have anything to do with it. I was actually planning on going to university ( I did start.....lol).

Finally one day he relented and we went out. Watched him with the first one and then just to get his goat, blurted out "Wow! Dad, that was AWESOME!!! I'm going to be a faller for sure!!!!" He looked at me and said "Like HELL you are!!! I knew I shouldn't have shown you that!**&^^&*$%&^*&&#" lol So off I went to university, yet strangely enough, here I am! lol

Sawdust in my veins I guess! Can't fight it!

Good stories, fellas!

I remember the summer of my senior year when I was 17 I had just about had it with haying for money. I went to my dad and asked him if he would break me in cutting. He met with my uncle, his partner, and said that he would.
He took me out with the crew and I thought I would watch for a few days. When we unloaded the crummy he gave me two ratted wedges(wonder why?) and put an 051 with a 32" bar in my hands and said "lets go". I thought to myself "I'm in it now".
I'll never forget the first tree I bucked for him. He had fallen several smaller trees and tried to explain binds to me. Oh, yeah! I understand. Right!
He fell a little hemlock, I walked out to about 32' and proceeded to buck it. I got hung up tighter than ####s hat band. I also had plans for school after high school. Didn't happen.
Same thing. Sawdust in my veins I guess! Can't fight it!

Latest posts

Back