Springfield Armory???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motocross. :rock:

Honestly I would be interested in competition shooting. I have a Browning A-bolt 7mm Rem Mag I used to hunt elk with. At this time I don't have plans to hunt with it again (more interested in black powder) but still enjoy shooting it. Competition shooting sounds like a good time.

Consider primitive biathalons. Wooden snowshoes and PRB/open sighted ML guns. Some offer an inline class of competition.

It's lots of fun and you'll meet some great people.

Typical course is ca. 10 shooting sites, offhand at ca 50 yd, 2-3 miles long. 3 shots at each site at ca. 3 X 3 targets, hit or miss.

Score based on time and hits.

They also include "markmanship" contests. No running, off hand shooting. Smallest group wins.

The last one I attended ("markmanship" contests) was won by a man with a homemade flintlock in the PRB class. The guy who won the scoped inline class would have placed 7th or 8th in the PRB class (traditional ML open sights).

All but a select few still have to qualify. I was hoping for a shot at qualifying at Washougal in '98 but drove my knee into concrete hard clay a couple weeks before the race. I doubt I would have qualified but at the time I thought I could be in a position to if I caught a break or two. One of those things I look back on now and wonder what if.

I have raced against pro riders just not in a National. No McGrath's or Carmichael's but names anyone who followed the sport would recognize.

That is why shooting is different. Everyone who enters the National Championships competes on the line at the same time for the same prize.

attachment.php

For some reason though the same folks seem to keep winning...;)

I thought that was cool too. I have a 1942 Springfield M1 Garand I love that rifle!

Not a SA - M1 but I went up to the CMP north store several years ago picked out this cherry HRA - M1......Does't have as much historical interest as the WWII SA/M1s but man it was way too nice to leave this one behind.

Now I've came to realize that the HRAs are very collectible also. I guess based on the collectors believing they were probably the finest finished M1s ever made......Either way, the M1 is one fine rifle!

It's good to see a firearms sponsor on AS....Way to go SA! :clap:

garand2.jpg

garand.jpg

Rock River

I dunno what old Man Westrom at Armalite, or the gang at Rock river are gonna do. It's just plain ugly, and I wish ya all well.

Anybody know why Rock River Arms stopped making 1911's? The quality was outstanding and the customer service was excellent. My daily carry piece is a RRA 1911, match bbl., Novak tritium sights, strong side safety only, black-T finish with Spegel cocobolo grips. Glad I got it when they were still available.

That is why shooting is different. Everyone who enters the National Championships competes on the line at the same time for the same prize.

I guess I was thinking more in terms of what is required to compete. MX isn't like a lot of sports where you need huge $$$, contacts, and lots of support. If you've got the talent and a bike you can line up with the big boys. Of course without the talent you've got nothing.

My guard dog has a nice collection of black rifles started, soon it will be tuff to keep him out of mine.:cheers:

zep.JPG

That's some sweet looking hardware you got there! Nice dog too! The sad thing is here in Canada you can only uses them black rifles at a range, and you have to have a restricted license as well, they make awesome coyote hunting rigs but because of our stupid rules you can't use them in the field:mad: Just another reason why You guys and gals in the US should never give up your fight to own firearms!

Last edited:
I'd put my M1A NM against that any day.

It will put 20 rds of factory ammo (PMC 150gr) in the same ragged hole at 100yds.

Oh don't get me wrong I like the M1A (the military and Chinese copies). Just not the POS ones with the cast receivers. :greenchainsaw:

This what I have been playing with recently. I reworked the grips to fit my hand. Unfortunately, these are no longer imported, and the price has skyrocketed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is a pic of the grips as they come from the factory,

attachment.php

Even though the prices are up, they are nowhere near one of these,

attachment.php

The best rifle SA ever sold was made in Greece.
attachment.php

That is a fine piece of equipment and i don't think it is a wild thing. Comparing it to a M1A National Match isn't fair. This is a bullpup design and it has its function (maintaining barrel length while limiting weapon size and thereby permuting the rifle to be used in confined spaces). Comparing a target rifle to a sniper rifle would be reasonable but comparing either to a bullpup is like comparing a scalpel to a straight razor. I would not trust a surgeon with a straight razor and I would not trust my barber with a scalpel.

Last edited:
I really like the SA 1911 GI compact. Same as reg 1911 cept smaller version. I really seriously think about trading my Ms460 straight across for one

UM, no they are not.

I love their product, I have a 9MM XD sub compact and hope to get one of their 1911's. Their pistols are made over seas....

Correct. XD's I believe are made in Croatia and assembled here.

That is a fine piece of equipment and i don't think it is a wild thing. Comparing it to a M1A National Match isn't fair. This is a bullpup design and it has its function (maintaining barrel length while limiting weapon size and thereby permuting the rifle to be used in confined spaces). Comparing a target rifle to a sniper rifle would be reasonable but comparing either to a bullpup is like comparing a scalpel to a straight razor. I would not trust a surgeon with a straight razor and I would not trust my barber with a scalpel.

That is not a Bullpup design. It is a standard rifle with a collapsible stock. Not trying to be argumentative but, a Bullpup is of a different design all together. However, I agree with all else you state.

they make, or used to make some good scopes too, i bought one about 8 years ago, has built in bubble level for cant and range finding reticle. a little pricey back then but well worth it. A mn m1a is a dam good rifle. BB77 Hows my old c72

The Cetme was never intended to hold MOA.

It WILL however hold Minuite of Human all day long after dumping 6 Mags in 5 Min. and wont wear ya out on a 20K hump.

Battle rifles are like fine Farm impliments and have thier place.

And no banacainin, it ain't a bullpup.
Delayed roller blowback Cetme/G3 design as done up by the greeks with Tele stock... H&K makes the same design, but the Spanish sold it to the Germans.
Run it over with a truck and it's still 3 MOA reliable. ;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back