Sprocket Nose Constantly Clogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyJ

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Bought a new 25" ES Rollomatic bar and a loop of RSK chain for my MS440 this morning thinking it would help solve the problem, no such luck. I can be cooking wide open through a log and the nose sprocket will just lock up solid with chips, particularly when doing felling cuts (sideways). Doesn't happen in soft wood, just oak and hickory and with a 28" bar its more frequent. I even had one link taken out of a 28" chain so that I could barely get in on, thinking the almost maxxed out adjustment was allowing chips under the chain, didn't help. Loose chain makes it worse but even when fiddle string tight it still happens. I don't think I've ever jammed the sprocket on my 029 with a 20" standard E bar so I'm pretty sure its the machine and not the operator.

I bought the 440 used with the PNW clutch cover and the rubber chip deflector is a little chewed up for some reason. Could this be the problem? All my chains are RSK, are they prone to this? Any other ideas please?

Sounds a bit unusual, but have seen it. Try slackening off the chain a bit and let it cut some air on throttle lock for awhile. Though I don't grease tips, maybe try that too. Is the chain getting oil?
John

Does your chain have round holes in the drive links? I'm pretty sure the newer rsk does, it tends to catch chip and pull them back into the kerf.

The times I see that are when I have not been paying attention to the saw rpm and let it slow to the point that it is not throwing the chips out of the kerf. That it happens when you are cutting hard woods leads me to believe you may be doing the same.

Yep, has holes in the drive links
Makes sense that it might do that
I'll sure try a diff chain type, had a frustrating day

Turn up your oiler. Also, after a couple cuts in big wood (90% or more of the bar size) rev it WOT for a few secs out of the wood to clear the bar and get more oil in the chain. I have to do that with my 025. I never have that problem with my saws that throw lots of oil. I thought it was the wore out Stihl bar, but the new Oregon does it too unless I clear the chain out of the cut once and awhile. BTW, the chains with the holes in the drivers actually increase oil to the tip of the bar.

Ya know, except when I'm warming the saw or maybe blipping the throttle a few times before a hot shutoff, I never rev it out of cut.

I've seen people do it and thought it silly showboating and non-productive.

I'll try it tomorrow for sure along with opening up the oiler.

Ya know, except when I'm warming the saw or maybe blipping the throttle a few times before a hot shutoff, I never rev it out of cut.

I've seen people do it and thought it silly showboating and non-productive.

I'll try it tomorrow for sure along with opening up the oiler.

LOL! There was a rather long thread on here a while back about that showboating thing (blipping the throttle).

It takes a pretty good amount of crud to lock up a nose sprocket in the cut at WOT, and once cleared shouldn't be a repeatable thing. Wierd.

Double check the nose and see if ya didn't put a pinch in it at some point, and that it hasn't tossed a bearing and wobbling a bit.

Check your chains drivers too. Buggered drivers can raise all kinda hell where a guy never thinks to look.

+1 on checking the oiler. If that chain is getting hot and tight, it can do as you describe.

Good luck!
And if ya find the culprit make sure to pass it on here.
Ya got me curious.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
Nothing in the woods pisses me off more than a ,"Throttle Blipper," the kind that just stand there and stare into space and blip the friccccken throttle. Bam!! up the side of the head...:mad:

Pioneerguy600

When I first started to fell some decent sized Eastern Hemlock, I noticed the 24" ES clogging up a bit. I was letting go of the trigger a tad early when the nose was buried.

Learned to keep the chain moving until I had backed the nose out just a tad, and no more trouble. Only seemed to happen on trunk diameters larger than bar length.

Nothing in the woods pisses me off more than a ,"Throttle Blipper," the kind that just stand there and stare into space and blip the friccccken throttle. Bam!! up the side of the head...:mad:

Pioneerguy600

so i guess that means you get bopped in the head all the time,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::D

John... Stihl ES bars have no grease holes.

Gary

Well, I guess that option is out then.
What the OP may try then to loosen the tip is too indiscriminately plunge the tip into some wood repeatedly to get some violent kickback going.
This should smarten up the tip.
John

so i guess that means you get bopped in the head all the time,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::D

Not!!!.. But I only have a couple of cutting buddies, no throttle blippers....LOL
My very own brother is a throttle blipper, can`t break him of the habit, I make him cut at least 5 miles from me so`s I can`t hear him.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Not!!!.. But I only have a couple of cutting buddies, no throttle blippers....LOL
My very own brother is a throttle blipper, can`t break him of the habit, I make him cut at least 5 miles from me so`s I can`t hear him.
Pioneerguy600
Jerry, I did some blipping just to annoy you. Lol
John

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j1mdryF46ro?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j1mdryF46ro?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jerry, I did some blipping just to annoy you. Lol
John

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j1mdryF46ro?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j1mdryF46ro?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Must be more than 5 miles between us John, ...can`t hear you from here....:D

Nice PP`s you`re cuttin there, like the plunge cut then out through the backside on those biguns.

Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back