Spur length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only use pole gaffs and so does everyone else I know in Hawaii. The only time anyone here uses tree gaffs is the rare instance when they have to work on a robusta euc.

The only ones I ever saw use tree gaffs on palms were guys from the mainland US and they quickly changed to pole gaffs as soon as they could.

The choice really depends on the kind of tree you work on.

I do not climb alot but I have been climbing about 30 years. Take what you will. I only have (Buckingham fixed gaff) tree spurs but I have modified the gaffs slightly by bending the points out. I climb mostly redwood and Douglass fir with some cedar and white fir and a few pines. By bending the points out about 15 or so degrees I can "walk" up easier but coming down is MUCH easier. I don't have to pull the gaff out of the bark with near as much force as before and this makes things easier on my knees.

Several climbers who are much better than I am have modded their Geckos this way. (Geckos are the bees knees btw). Climb Rite spurs are very popular here too.

You can buy gaffs with pretty much the same angle I believe 2dogs is speaking of. They work great in softwoods. We used to call them Pine spikes in my circle.

You can buy gaffs with pretty much the same angle I believe 2dogs is speaking of. They work great in softwoods. We used to call them Pine spikes in my circle.

I have heard them called European gaffs.

No I have not heat treated them after, there seems to be no difference in the metal. I forgot to mention I also file a tringular slot into the bottom of the gaff for a half inch. A very experienced climber said he does so I do too.

I do not climb alot but I have been climbing about 30 years. Take what you will. I only have (Buckingham fixed gaff) tree spurs but I have modified the gaffs slightly by bending the points out. I climb mostly redwood and Douglass fir with some cedar and white fir and a few pines. By bending the points out about 15 or so degrees I can "walk" up easier but coming down is MUCH easier. I don't have to pull the gaff out of the bark with near as much force as before and this makes things easier on my knees.

Several climbers who are much better than I am have modded their Geckos this way. (Geckos are the bees knees btw). Climb Rite spurs are very popular here too.

sorry for my ignorance but what are "bees knees btw"?

Pole

I run pole spurs. Been doing it for 7-8 years> I tried tree gaffs for a day...neve rlooked back. Locust, big pines, and cottonwoods are all a little tricky to mauever, but advatage outweighs disadvantege. At least in the northeast anyway, we have lot of hardwoods, long hooks just hurt your ankles.I actually have the old pair of gaffs for sale if anyone wants them, for kliens. Used twice. Make an offer.

It means really great. At least in Collyfornia.

Hey two dogs thanks for the reply, Got my CF Gecko's early this year and they are nothin' short of awesome! And tree gaffs

I would like to throw my couple pennies in on this one. Ive noticed that new guys with pole spike do a lot more damage on trees than with tree spikes. If you decide to go with tree spikes, go with the 2.5" like the older buckinghams. The 2.75" gaffs are easier to dull, dont seem like much but the tips of my bashlins touch the ground and my old buckinghams dont. Best to get in the habit of carrying to tree if your not used to them. Hope this helps ya. Good luck with climbing, theres no turning back now. Ha ha ha ha ha

I would like to throw my couple pennies in on this one. Ive noticed that new guys with pole spike do a lot more damage on trees than with tree spikes. If you decide to go with tree spikes, go with the 2.5" like the older buckinghams. The 2.75" gaffs are easier to dull, dont seem like much but the tips of my bashlins touch the ground and my old buckinghams dont. Best to get in the habit of carrying to tree if your not used to them. Hope this helps ya. Good luck with climbing, theres no turning back now. Ha ha ha ha ha

??? Scratches head... Dude, I only wear spikes if I'm dropping the pole and I'm pretty sure most around here are doing the same... Why worry about damaging the tree If you are removing it??? It is modern practice to climb spikeless on a rope if you are leaving anything behind...

It is around here too, but the guys looking into a spur climbing kit so i just threw out my opinion on spikes. Besides that if hes stickin with it, chances are hes gonna be doin some right-of-way work, where its get in get out. And i know its not right but the general foremans dont normally supply you with the gear to use rope ascension, its cheap, its saddle and spikes

I learned to climb on bashlin pole spikes this fall i bought a pair of bashlin tree spikes because i was curious about the difference and i have used them once, they were uncomfortable and overly cumbersome, i can see if you were climbing stuff that had been significantly compromised it might be nice to have them but when you get to the very top of a tree and you cant take a huge top for whatever reason, pole spikes will get you higher because on really small diameter stuff the closer you can get your feet to the leader the better off your gonna be

Jeff I have to disagree with you on this one, 57 and I have done a lot of jobs this year together, and some involved some serious rigging....trees on houses, wedged between other trees entangled in hydro lines etc.... he has a lot of experience and a lot of equipment to get the hardest jobs done....safely! I've seen him up in the tree and knows what he is doing! Works hard as well in any weather conditions as we've worked together in some nasty storms we've had up here in the last 6 months! I've posted pics of some of the jobs as well on here. So there you go.;) Oh yeah I use pole gaffs for poles and tree gaffs for trees!

Just re-read this. You should too!. I said cutting what you can handle without the need of a groundie for rigging. Maybe you were drunk when you responded!
Jeff :msp_smile:

i didnt know klein made 2 kinds of pole gaffs ,the 1-1/2 and the 1-9/16 ,how much f a difference is the angle ?between them ...any pics of each ?

??? Scratches head... Dude, I only wear spikes if I'm dropping the pole and I'm pretty sure most around here are doing the same... Why worry about damaging the tree If you are removing it??? It is modern practice to climb spikeless on a rope if you are leaving anything behind...

Don't be so sure, there are a lot of guys still spiking trims. Amazing truth, I know.:dizzy: With me its not some much them hurting the tree its more like they can't do it any other way. Dey's dumb and I don't like dummies.

Latest posts

Back