Sta-Bil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every pump here (that has a label) says that the "premium" fuels have at max 10% ethanol. Our governor is pushing for fuel to now have 20% ethanol in unleaded.

Back in high school and factory service school both suggested the same thing, that 87 and 89 contained higher ethanol content than our "premium" 91/92 octane fuels. But, then again, I may have misheard what was stated.

I'll take another peek at the pumps to double check and make sure I read the stickers right.

Last edited:
In the years that my family has NOT used Stabil in the fall, on lawn equipment .....that next spring some items won't start very easily or at all and others end up having carb problems. This is in engines that are left full of fuel.

In the years that we DO use Stabil, in those engines, come springtime, they start just fine as if they never sat over the winter or for months. I try to use it in everything that will sit.

I use 100LL AV fuel in all things 2 stroke and regular car gas in 4 stroke mowers and ATVs and such.

Sam

I think the worse way to store engines is with small amounts of gas. Smaller amounts spoil faster. If you run them out of gas , the carb should be drained or I crank on them with the choke on until they will not fire, because any gas left in the carb likely will turn to varnish shortly. If I anticipate starting the engine in less then 3 months I usually fill it near the top. An older dude gave me that advice years ago and I have had much better results then just running them out wthout making sure the carb is empty.
As far as Stabil , I have no desire to use it again even if it was give to me. Had my brothers wrecked car stored here. Always started after sitting for months until my brother brought 5 gallons of fresh gas and added stabil to it before putting it into the car. That was the last day the car started on its own. Until then I was unsure if Stabil did any good or not.
Sea Foam is great for dissolving gas varnish, I am not sure how good it is as a fuel stabilizer, but I add a little in engines thats not being started regularly and have had great results. I like to put some in before running engines dry also.

If your going to store it with fuel in the tank make sure it's full to the top. This will prevent any condensation from building in the tank during storage.

Here is an example to what I'm talking about, worth a shot. I hope you guys like it too. Read "with Fuel stabilizer". Try it alone and see if you still need sta-bil.

41KdBOS8qqL._SS500_.jpg

Not to question Your statement , but how so ?
What's the difference in regular and marine Stabil ? TIA.

Supposedly, it has more corrosion inhibitors. That's to limit the corrosion that comes from the water drawn out of the air by the ethonol. Doesn't do a thing to mitigate ethonol's ability to attack rubber parts and break down premix oils that aren't intended to be used with ethonol however...

I use a combination of Stabil, Marvel Mystery Oil and Lucas for all my small engines. I use the Lucas in my vehicles every 6 weeks or so also. Used to have some issues, do not now. Not saying it is the answer but it worked for me.

For my ope that use 2 stroke mix. I add 1 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil and Stabil per gallon of gas. Plus my mix oil. Carbs on all my mix ope are nice and clean, also are the piston crowns.

For my all four stokers I add 2 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil and 1 oz. Stabil. Again carbs and piston crowns are nice and clean. Okay, Yes I am anal enough to take a look at the pistion crowns of my four stroke ope every now and then...

For my suv, I add 4 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil at each fill up.

Mike

Last edited:
•More than FOUR TIMES the Fuel System Cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL
•DOUBLE the corrosion preventer than in Regular STA-BIL

thats what Stabil says anyhow

For my ope that use 2 stroke mix. I add 1 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil and Stabil per gallon of gas. Plus my mix oil. Carbs on all my mix ope are nice and clean, also are the piston crowns.

For my all four stokers I add 2 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil and 1 oz. Stabil. Again carbs and piston crowns are nice and clean. Okay, Yes I am anal enough to take a look at the pistion crowns of my four stroke ope every now and then...

For my suv, I add 4 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil at each fill up.

Mike

I follow a similar program..............except I don't often run MMO in the 'modern' vehicles (only because I drive so dang much). I do run MMO and StaBil in the old Internationals and my Diesel Ford, as they don't get driven much.

I used to use Stabil a lot, but I just drain the fuel and run them til they quit, that includes the mower, wood splitter, saws (except the ones that I use for firewood), etc. I try to store as little fuel as possible during the winter. I just use Stabil in the equipment where its not practical to drain the fuel.
Stabil doesn't do a thing for preventing destruction of the rubber components in your fuel system, I've had a fuel line in my shindaiwa hedge trimmer completely dissolve -as in a pile of goo at the bottom of the tank!:dizzy:

i used to use stabil in my OPE. but since i have switched to ultra i don't find it necessary. saws and trimmers that have sat for months will start with no problem. i do use it in my mowers when they are put away for the winter, but i don't add it during the months when they are in use.

No PRI-G users here? That's what I've been using for about 10 years now. Great stuff, better than Sta-bil I believe.

I use stabil in all my gas engines, with good non-e gas it seems to work out fine for up to a year. I would love to use PRI-G, but I can't find it around here, I use PRI-D in my diesels and it works well for an additive and great for emergency storage.

I stopped using Sta-bil last year after realizing Stihl mix already had fuel stabilizers in it. In my experience, that proved to be not good enough. I had a can of fresh mix that was worthless after it sat a couple months.

I've gone back to using Sta-bil in everything.

Sta-bil has a shelf life of it's own though. Keep an eye on that.

Latest posts

Back