Starting a new tree company climbing questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New member here, just found this site for the first time. I am very interested and serious about starting a tree company down the road. I am very comfortable with a chainsaw, I have worked for the Forest Service on hotshot/handcrews for the last 7 years, and was the main sawyer for a few years. Lots of trigger time cutting large snags, half burned trees, e.c.t up to 38in in diameter. I got very good at putting trees where I want them to go, against their lean, using wedges and reading trees.

At the end of last summer I picked up some work with a local guy who runs a very successful tree business. I loved the work and saw that there is good money to be made in it. I also saw that my potential would be much greater in this business if I learned how to climb! We did a lot of removals by using a method that involved shooting a weighted bag through the top 3/4 of the tree with a small cord attached to it using a large slingshot. Then tying a 200ft climbing rope to the cord, pulling it back through the tree, and wrapping it around through the limbs. Guys pulling well beyond the trees falling distance would pull the tree away from the house, and I would easily cut it down. This technique of cutting was all very new to me, I had never used ropes to pull on trees before!

Only one climber was on the crew, the rest of the work was done with a bucket truck.

I have done minor rock climbing, and am not afraid of heights. What is a good way to get into learning the ropes of tree climbing/cutting. Books, videos, classes are what I am looking for. Any recommendations?

So you've seen it done a few times and are ready to take off on your own are ya...

Well there are about a dozen or so others who ask this question on a weekly basis. Use the search feature. My suggestion would be go to work and apprentice with a reputable service as a climber for a few years. Then you might (big might) be ready to go it on your own.

Best of luck.

Copy. Search button helped a lot. Thanks

I'm not intending on opening this business anytime soon, just want to learn how to climb

I loved the work and saw that there is good money to be made in it.

Could you tell me how you saw that there was good money to be made?

Did you see the invoice and come to that conclusion?

Not trying to be funny,...would really like to know.

^^^^^^^Just got to know my boss really well, and did a lot of side projects with him. I asked him a lot of questions about his biz, and he was honest and gave me a good rundown of good and bad times. Knowing how much he was getting for removals was also a clue to how much he was making per day. He was doing well.

If only I could keep the money I get paid for treework, and didn't have to spend so much of it on those pesky business expenses !

If only I could keep the money I get paid for treework, and didn't have to spend so much of it on those pesky business expenses !

yep. workmans comp, taxes, liability ins, taxes, vehicle/equipment ins, taxes, equip/truck payments, taxes, breakdowns, taxes, payroll, taxes, unemployment ins, taxes, guys not showing up for work, taxes, bad weather, taxes, maintenance, taxes, permits, taxes, risking your life in a tree, taxes, fuel, taxes and I'm sure I'm forgetting something here...

So you've seen it done a few times and are ready to take off on your own are ya...

Well there are about a dozen or so others who ask this question on a weekly basis. Use the search feature. My suggestion would be go to work and apprentice with a reputable service as a climber for a few years. Then you might (big might) be ready to go it on your own.

Best of luck.

I agree with tree md 100% I had someone show me the ropes before I started, out on my own.. I still climb for him when he needs he’s getting older and would rather run a saw on the ground, And I bring him in still when I have a question, One thing you’ll learn no two trees are the same and you’ll always be learning!!! Best of luck

yep. workmans comp, taxes, liability ins, taxes, vehicle/equipment ins, taxes, equip/truck payments, taxes, breakdowns, taxes, payroll, taxes, unemployment ins, taxes, guys not showing up for work, taxes, bad weather, taxes, maintenance, taxes, permits, taxes, risking your life in a tree, taxes, fuel, taxes and I'm sure I'm forgetting something here...

Don't forget TAXES ! I sent in payoll taxes a couple of weeks ago, and now I have to do more paperwork to tell them what I sent them! It never ends.

To the OP, the best book for starting to climb that I know of is "The Tree Climber's Companion" by Jeff Jepson. It will help get your head in the right place when climbing. It is not a complete "how to" manual on the subject. A second thing to know about actual treework, using a chainsaw in the tree is a whole different world than on the ground. You really need to find someone good to teach you in the real world. The TTCC book will help you figure out if the guy/gal teaching you is safe and knows what they are doing.
Rick

All those expenses are minor aren't they ? I thought I could get Rich and Fat doing this work.

(Sounds of insane laughter erupt from every owner reading this...... )

There's no point in ever learning to climb. There's an EXTREME precision feller in the video's threads to teach you everything you'll ever need to know, and you'll never have to ever climb using his methods. snicker, humph hahaha.

Don't forget TAXES ! I sent in payoll taxes a couple of weeks ago, and now I have to do more paperwork to tell them what I sent them! It never ends.

To the OP, the best book for starting to climb that I know of is "The Tree Climber's Companion" by Jeff Jepson. It will help get your head in the right place when climbing. It is not a complete "how to" manual on the subject. A second thing to know about actual treework, using a chainsaw in the tree is a whole different world than on the ground. You really need to find someone good to teach you in the real world. The TTCC book will help you figure out if the guy/gal teaching you is safe and knows what they are doing.
Rick

Good info, thanks man. BTW, I dont intend on getting rich doing this type of work, and I know its not going to be easy. I just love cutting and being outside.

Where in Wyoming are you ? About 30 years ago I worked out of the Worland airport for a crop dusting outfit.
Rick

Where do you spend your summers. Never been in Jackson, but would fly over to Cody sometimes. As I recall there aren't many hardwoods in the area, just a lot of conifers. Down in the Bighorn valley we had a lot of Cottonwood trees. Over by Douglas....... what trees ? Sage isn't a tree!
I really did enjoy living there because of the fishing.
Rick

Lots of Pines, no hardwoods. Engleman spruce, sub alpine fir, doug fir, whitebark pine, aspen, and cottonwood are the main local trees I am used to cutting. I summer wherever the Forest Service sends me.

Lots of Pines, no hardwoods. Engleman spruce, sub alpine fir, doug fir, whitebark pine, aspen, and cottonwood are the main local trees I am used to cutting. I summer wherever the Forest Service sends me.

As I remember, the Forestry Service used to put on climbing classes. Have you asked about that? I had a link to their climbing guidelines awhile back. It might be on my facebook page, lemme look and see if I can find it.

Workman,

At the top of the page here, ( just under the big Arboristsite.com logo ) there are links to sponsers and suppliers. I suggest clicking on Sherrilltree (tree people, tree gear ) and Wespur. I buy from Sherrill myself, but then they are only 3 hrs away. Wespur will be closer to you out there. Get catalogs from both and read them. I have also heard good things about Treestuff out of Indy. There are a number of helpful tips and hints in the Sherrill catalog. You can get tree gear at most Vermeer dealers. Looks like the closest one to you may be Billings, MT. When you get serious about buying some gear let me know and I'll be happy to pass some pointers your way.
Rick

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back