Station Wagons, don't laugh too much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyMac

Stiff Member
Reaction score
Yep, I want a big station wagon, one of the Galactica Class battle barges.
I have an '85 ford LTDII wagon now, it an ok car, but I want a V8 and more room. Last weeks trip to the PNW GTG convinced me, I hauled a trailer, I knew I was going to have to shift down and buzz to the top, but crap, 45MPH on I-5 doesn't cut it.
So, any opinions on year, make and models? I really don't give a rat's ass about mpg, I rarely drive more than 5K a year, I "commute" 6 blocks to work. I want some thing that is quiet, comfortable and with a mid to large V8. I loved my Crown Vics, I'm not all that brand locked, any heavy weight wagon would do, I don't want an SUV.

Thanks

The Dodge thing with the Hemi looks badass.

It's either that or an old 60's Poncho Grand Safari with a 455 and a posi unit.
My parents had one(The War Wagon). Easily roast the tires with a 28' Holiday Rambler on the hitch and two kids and a dog in the back.
They easily would outpull most of the new 1/2 ton yuppie trucks made today LOL!!

There is NO shame in driving a REAL station wagon.
Mini Vans are for the Oprah Generation.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Deluxe Family Truckster!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Deluxe Family Truckster!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

LOL!!!

Looks like a wood paneled MRAP!!!
I like it!

Fricken Mini-vans suck.
SUV's suck.
Hit anything bigger than a chicken and they fly apart, and none of 'em will pull a fat Broad out of a doughnut shop.

Toss a Hybrid diesel in a classic American Family War wagon that has a full frame and modern AWD, and watch Detroit come alive again.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Being partial to 1960 Chryslers in general, I always thought the wagon model, a four door hardtop, was kinda cool. 413 V8 lotsa power. And that astra dome dash.

SWEET!!!!

The Fins are just too cool, even on a Station wagon.

Make mine in Aqua Marine Thank you!!:cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

1991-1996 Caprice/Roadmaster/Olds Cruiser.

The 1994-1996 Chevy/Buick with the LT1 engine would be nice, the Olds are rare, only made 1991-1992. If I wanted to keep it forever, I'd probably try to get a 1992 Olds Custom Cruiser. That would be eligible for a collector car plate in 2017.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1991-to-1992-oldsmobile-custom-cruiser.htm

If the above are too new, it's gotta be a 455 Vista Cruiser with rear facing jump seat and the windows along the roof edge. (like the Foreman family had on That 70's Show)

If you actually put miles on the thing, I'd be steering you into a 1987-1995 Mercedes.

Last edited:
1991-1996 Caprice/Roadmaster/Olds Cruiser.

The 1994-1996 Chevy/Buick with the LT1 engine would be nice, the Olds are rare, only made 1991-1992. If I wanted to keep it forever, I'd probably try to get a 1992 Olds Custom Cruiser. That would be eligible for a collector car plate in 2017.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1991-to-1992-oldsmobile-custom-cruiser.htm

If the above are too new, it's gotta be a 455 Vista Cruiser with rear facing jump seat and the windows along the roof edge. (like the Foreman family had on That 70's Show)

If you actually put miles on the thing, I'd be steering you into a 1987-1995 Mercedes.

I had a '73 Custom Cruiser, a real beast. It had the hide-away rear window & rear gate. It had a 455 and loved gas.

I'd like to find me a late 80's MB with turbo diesel and AWD. Love my 85 300 TDI.

You do not want a 1986-1993 4-MATIC, no way, no how. (well, maybe if it had an updated transfer case installed in the last 10,000 miles, and you intend to sell it in the next 10,000 miles...)

1987 was the only year for the diesel engine in the S124 chassis in USA, I think they made about 2000 of them. You can pick up beaters for $2-3k these days, but the really nice ones command some $$$ (still less $$ than it takes to make a really nice car out of a beater though).

It took me a while, but I managed to dig up some videos of Mauri Haapala's 500hp S124 diesel.
Mauri was quite unhappy with the 14.69 run, his exhaust manifold studs kept coming loose that weekend. The 2nd run at 14.21 is the best I've seen for a diesel wagon with the original 2.65:1 diff gearing.

http://w124performance.com/movies/Mercedes/SuperTurbos/Mauri_wagon_1.mpg
http://w124performance.com/movies/Mercedes/SuperTurbos/Mauri_wagon_2.mpg

Last edited:
I would like to Impala SS ize a mid 90's caprice wagon.

Funny, when I was growing up and we had a wagon, I hated it, everyone else had a minivan and I wished we did too. Now I wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan, I think station wagons are cool. Funny how you get smarter as you get older.

RandyMac

That's an awesome ride you have pictured there.Is that the one you went to Southern California to get?Could you tell me a little about it?
Back when I was a kid I'm talking about 40 years ago, my friends Dad was a faller, tough as nails and old school,anyway he used to take the back seat out of cars and use them to take him into the woods.He would carry saws and all his gear in there.Ever think of that as an option?Maybe not enough height as a station wagon.
Lawrence

The answer is obvious...

Dammit Randy.......................Getcha a Scout, Scout II (long WB version is called a Traveler), or a Travelall! I know you said "no SUV's"......................but those are more truck than SUV. Lotsa room. V8's, tough as hell. You had to know I'd post in this thread eventualy....and that I'd tell you to get a Binder. Just think............nobody will yell at you for wearing muddy corks in a Binder...:givebeer:

One of the coolest cars I ever owned (and wish I still had) was a 9 passenger '64 Ford Galaxie 500 station wagon. 300hp Thunderbird 390 V8. FMX auto. Tons of chrome. Factory dual exhaust. Fold the third row bench seat for a flat, steel-backed cargo area that you could play basketball in...:cheers:

Last edited:
Back