Sterling Chassis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DFD34

DFD34

ArboristSite Member
Happy New Year to everyone. I am hoping to get some input on Sterling trucks. I am looking at a used 2004 bucket truck mounted on a Sterling chassis. I have never driven/used a Sterling truck. Are they any good? The truck has a single rear axle, has a 210HP Cat engine, air brakes, and the GVW is 31,000. Any input good or bad will be great. Thanks DFD34

chowdozer

chowdozer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Happy New Year to everyone. I am hoping to get some input on Sterling trucks. I am looking at a used 2004 bucket truck mounted on a Sterling chassis. I have never driven/used a Sterling truck. Are they any good? The truck has a single rear axle, has a 210HP Cat engine, air brakes, and the GVW is 31,000. Any input good or bad will be great. Thanks DFD34

Sterling bought the big Ford lineup in '98 or '99.

Edit: Look close and you can see. The grille was changed. The Sterling has what was once called the Aero nose on a Ford and the Sterling doesn't have the visor. You can see the whole nose is basically the same, as well as the cab.

Last edited:
grandpatractor

grandpatractor

Addicted to ArboristSite
They are good work trucks. I help maintain a fleet of about a dozen of them for a municipality and they hold up well. they are probably not as good for wver the road. I wouldn't be afraid to buy this truck at all if it has been well maintained
J.D.

IATreeguy

IATreeguy

ArboristSite Lurker
I think what you are looking at here is basically what we used to call a Ford truck before Ford sold their heavy truck division to Freightliner. Based on my experience with the heavy Ford chassis in the nineties with a mounted crane this should make for a very decent truck for you. The specs that you mention sound more than adequate. Good luck with your project!

grandpatractor

grandpatractor

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think the ford -sterling switch was 98-99 somewhere. we had some of each and they were identical except the nameplate most of the parts still said ford for a while. I havent seen any with international engines but there has been a push towards Mercedes Benz since they are all owned by Daimler Chrysler. We have some with the MB engines that have 7 year and 250K mile warrenties. And they cost less than Cat engines.

DFD34

DFD34

ArboristSite Member
Sterling Truck

Thanks to everyone who gave me the good information on the Sterling chasis. I did end up buying the 2004 Sterling truck with a 62ft Aerial lift of Conn bucket. I am picking it up in the beginning March and can't wait to use it. The Sterling truck is really nice. I would go as far as saying its mint. The original owner kept it perfect. The truck was garaged every night and babied. Only has 14,000 miles on the truck and under just 3000hrs on the Cat engine. Thanks again, DFD34:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

chowdozer

chowdozer

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think the ford -sterling switch was 98-99 somewhere. we had some of each and they were identical except the nameplate most of the parts still said ford for a while. I havent seen any with international engines but there has been a push towards Mercedes Benz since they are all owned by Daimler Chrysler. We have some with the MB engines that have 7 year and 250K mile warrenties. And they cost less than Cat engines.

I think it was '98. According to Ford, my '97 work truck is towards the end of the Ford production.

I don't know much about the MB engines, but I wouldn't trade the 3406 four-and-a-quarter for anything else.