Stihl 026-3/8 Rim ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPIKE5400

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello
Can someone please tell me if I can put a 3/8 rim on my 026.
I know it will take a lighter touch to run the 026 on a 3/8 chain but I need a new bar and have several that will interchange in 3/8,
Thank you
Spike5400

Hello
Can someone please tell me if I can put a 3/8 rim on my 026.
I know it will take a lighter touch to run the 026 on a 3/8 chain but I need a new bar and have several that will interchange in 3/8,
Thank you
Spike5400

Yes and no problem to do it, they run well with a 16-18" bar.
Pioneerguy600

Hey spikes, welcome to AS! Great bunch of folks here. :)

I run a 3/8 pitch 16-inch on my 026 and I don't have to ease off on it at all. Positively gobbles hardwood.:chainsaw:

Yes you can but I believe you need to run 3/8 LP with it.
Perhaps Tommy Hall can confirm. He's the man for all things Stihl and Elvis.
-br

I use an MS 260 Pro with .325 chain, 16'' bar and an 8 pin sprocket. I alos have the original 7 pin and have noticed a difference with the 16'' and 8 pin versus the 18'' and 7 pin set up. Sometimes it's the small things you can do to a saw. Not that it didn't cut well before, but the set up I run now is better for what it gets used for the most....limbing trees. I think all you need to get is a 3/8 rim sprocket from Stihl....maybe 4 or 5 bucks is what I paid for mine. Then the only decision after that is what number of pin sprocket to get. JJuday

Last edited:
I didn't even know that you get one with 3/8 Picco, I thought .325 and 3/8 standard were the only options. JJuday

Not Low Profile

It runs standard 3/8 chain just fine. I have a .325 sprocket, bar and chain on mine, but I also have a 3/8 setup for it. I bought the rim from Baileys the last time I placed an order.

I haven't had a chance to run the 3/8 on this one yet, but I've run others with 3/8 and it was fine.

Run 3/8 on mine,16''.No problem,cutting about 10'' - 12'' oak yesterday.I just like it better than .325.Others on here disagree,to each his own...
Russ

make sure the sprocket the stihl dealer is marked 3/8 7. that is standerd 3/8 sprocket.

if it is marked p-7 it is 3/8 picco sprocket and will not work with standerd 3/8 br n chain. one of the first exsperinces i had with the stihl dealer i took my brand new 026 in to get it swapped to 3/8 they put a standerd 3/8 bar and 3/8 chain on it but they put a picco sprocket. it cutt rough and virbrated like crazy.
with this forumns help i finaly figured out they had put picco sprocket on it yes they did it not me. so i got the right sprocket and all has been good.

mine wears a 18" bar and oregon lgx . its muffler modded and is alittle wood eatn monster

3/8 8 rim only comes in large spline drive that does not fit the small stihl drum on the 026 and is way to much gear/chain for an 026 anyway.

Suppose something could be put together to run LP 3/8 but I don't see what advantage that would be.

With a custom drum or rim it can be done, but it would take some wicked porting to pull 3/8 8 even with a thin square chain.

3/8 8 rim only comes in large spline drive that does not fit the small stihl drum on the 026 and is way to much gear/chain for an 026 anyway.

Suppose something could be put together to run LP 3/8 but I don't see what advantage that would be.

With a custom drum or rim it can be done, but it would take some wicked porting to pull 3/8 8 even with a thin square chain.

Not true. The one I bought from Baileys says "JAK MAX" across the top, and "3/8 - 7" across the bottom.

On the little baggie that it came in, it says "Rim Sprocket (MS7) 3 75-7 Tooth"

Part number RSM 3757

If it were picco, it should read 3657 because the picco is actually .365 and not .375 as is 3/8.

If I'm wrong, let me know.... I was wrong once before.. :)

the 026 uses the stihl mini spline (RSM) and Baileys does have the 3/8 and .325 and picco sprockets I just ordered one last night. The picco rim from my ms180 is the same spline as the 026 so you could run picco if you could find a bar in the 3003 mount.

I run 3/8 16" on my 260 almost exclusively. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. It gets used a lot, especially clearing blowdowns. The thing's just so fast and easy to swing around, and it's light enough that I can pack it all day.

Bah Humbug to all those who say their 026/260 cant pull 3/8" chain. I run an 18" wearing 3/8" RSC exclusively on mine. Pulls strong.

Never mind, I misread the question though he asked 3/8 8pin.

3/8 7 pin , run that most of the time on 260 no problem.

Last edited:
Its the one with the 5/8 bore. Just measured mine. I think regular mini is 3/4 standard is 7/8 and RSM is 5/8 That is how mine is set up with the small spline 5/8 bore from stihl. If you have an aftermarket drum its probably a 3/4 bore, thats how the oregon one I had for my 180 was but I couldnt get a picco sprocket for it so I got the stihl drum with the 5/8 bore which is the same as my 026

Latest posts

Back