Stihl 026 differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironman_gq

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have two 026 saws, fairly close in serial number, different mufflers, one has a plugged decomp port in the cylinder. Huge difference in torque between the two. What I’m wondering is, are the differences between them more than cosmetic

Attachments

• 28820A2C-1007-444F-BB94-9A551C5A0EB1.jpeg
    28820A2C-1007-444F-BB94-9A551C5A0EB1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 6635D84C-8CE7-4B3E-9DE6-3F2763123B2F.jpeg
    6635D84C-8CE7-4B3E-9DE6-3F2763123B2F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
If they are both 026 they have the same displacement. The one on the rights muffler is less restricted compared to the one on the left. They might have different carburetors as well but other than that they're going to be pretty much identical.

Brock.

Any differences in the port timing?
I have never measured but I have 2 026s very similar to yours. 1 with the hole for the decomp and 1 without. 1 of them had the carb with the fixed high jet the other had the fully adjustable. That might be the culprit for low torque due to a overly rich tune. Or maybe there's an air leak somewhere. That was atleast the problem for mine.

One may have higher compression and or a tighter squish then the other which could be a reason for more power.

The one with the decomp hole is likely a replaced cylinder for the 026 "pro" model which I think might be slightly more displacement. I don't think the displacement alone would account for the power/torque difference.

In the muffler photo the saw on the left with duct tape on the handle has an aftermarket non-OEM muffler on it. Never seen an OEM muffler that looked like that. This may account for your performance differences right there.

If you have a compression tester a comparison between the two saws to see if there are any differences in compression.

Both saws look like they are pre-"pro" tank assemblies and probably crankcases (look for the oiler adjustment hole in the bottom).

The left saw is probably a 44mm bore and the right is the newer 44.7 mm bore, the decomp hole is the give away.

I can't comment on the power difference as all the 026s/ms 260s I've dealt with were the larger 44.7mm bore model.

I agree the 1 muffler isnt factory.

Both ms260s I have here are identical with the 447.mm bore and a decomp but only 1 is a "pro" model with the adjustable oiler.

Back