Stihl 026 needs love! Show me the way...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that's the thing. There wasn't an air cleaner at all; only the screened pieces that hold it. So I need to source an air cleaner.

I also need to figure out what size the sprocket is...

$25? That's a "you suck"! :D
Did I mention it came with two Stihl bars? Lol...

Well, that's the thing. There wasn't an air cleaner at all; only the screened pieces that hold it. So I need to source an air cleaner.

The bars are worth 25$

You got a free saw. The dude must of been desperate or had no idea what it's worth. Hope it's not hot.

His son had used it to clear brush, obviously with a dull chain. He just filled it with sawdust and daddy couldn't get it to run after. He kept saying the plug was fowled, over and over.

Take off the sprocket, stihl is marked with size.

The air filter may have been a wire mesh winter filter.

Your little 026 is a nice find, sweeter for the incredibly low price. My favorite saws are the ones I got for a song and worked really hard for me. My favorite unit by far is the wreck 026 I got with a scratched bore that, with nothing to lose, I did a pretty aggresive port job on. It's ugly as hell, but starts easy and runs strong.

That little saw has kept us all warm for the last ten years.

IMG_0299.JPG

Take off the sprocket, stihl is marked with size.

The air filter may have been a wire mesh winter filter.

I'm going to take the saw to the local Stihl guy to be looked at this morning. Hopefully he can solve the couple mysteries I've found, and not find too many more himself!

Maybe that's the case with the air filter. I'm still new to chainsaw ownership, but that mesh seems awfully open to me. It's like heavy duty window screen.

Your little 026 is a nice find, sweeter for the incredibly low price. My favorite saws are the ones I got for a song and worked really hard for me. My favorite unit by far is the wreck 026 I got with a scratched bore that, with nothing to lose, I did a pretty aggresive port job on. It's ugly as hell, but starts easy and runs strong.

That little saw has kept us all warm for the last ten years.

View attachment 578324

When I saw the 026 listed in the ad, I was excited because of stories like yours. It seems to be quite the popular saw. I hope this one will be so reliable.

The best part, as you said, is the small initial investment. I don't feel so bad slinging a few parts at it to make it run and look better!

I'm going to take the saw to the local Stihl guy to be looked at this morning. Hopefully he can solve the couple mysteries I've found, and not find too many more himself!

Maybe that's the case with the air filter. I'm still new to chainsaw ownership, but that mesh seems awfully open to me. It's like heavy duty window screen.

When I saw the 026 listed in the ad, I was excited because of stories like yours. It seems to be quite the popular saw. I hope this one will be so reliable.

The best part, as you said, is the small initial investment. I don't feel so bad slinging a few parts at it to make it run and look better!
go for the stihl air filter if you can. i think the last one i bought was around.$25. of all my saws the 026 air filter gets cleaned the most. i put a little dab of grease around the seam to keep the fines out.

I didn't make it to the Stihl shop today. My new little guy, seven weeks old, found his way into Children's Hospital for a night or two. The saws will be there when we make it back home.

When you ran the saw did you have the bar and chain on it? They will all spin the clutch drum with no b&c. Now when the flocked filters shed the flocking they look like window screen. Also the clutch comes off clockwise as in you tighten it to loosen it up. No piston stops for me just leave the spark plug in it and blip it with a impact gun. No chance of damage that way. Nice score

go for the stihl air filter if you can. i think the last one i bought was around.$25. of all my saws the 026 air filter gets cleaned the most. i put a little dab of grease around the seam to keep the fines out.

I'm afraid that violates my personal "Don't spend more on the air filter than I spent on the saw" policy, sir. /Sarcasm

+1...16" .325 .063 Stihl RS! Killer combo!

I'm glad to hear that. Both bars that were included were 16" .325/.063. When I get home, I'll make sure the sprocket matches.

Yes they will. Hang in there, been through that with my little dudes a few times. Never fun.

Thank you. He's kiddo #5, and all have had their issues...but this one's scary.

When you ran the saw did you have the bar and chain on it? They will all spin the clutch drum with no b&c. Now when the flocked filters shed the flocking they look like window screen. Also the clutch comes off clockwise as in you tighten it to loosen it up. No piston stops for me just leave the spark plug in it and blip it with a impact gun. No chance of damage that way. Nice score

I sure didn't. See, I learn things all the time here. I appreciate the info...and now I feel silly lol.

I need to buy a chain and get busy with this saw!

Half the fun or even more is in the building of these saws now, running them is a hoot as well, just completed building #12 for the collection. They can be made into great cutting saw with the right modifications.

12!!! Wow!

That's the main reason I jumped on this particular saw; it was so cheap, I don't feel the least bit bad about tinkering with it. After I get finished playing with it, I've got my $25 Husqvarna 136 to modify :)

I've got a pair of 42cc Craftsman saws(one a Poulan, the other a Poulan Pro) to sell locally to partially fund the next(big) saw. I've been looking at some 290 Stihls on the local Craigslist...maybe I'll score one to do a 390 conversion? Or maybe a big Husqvarna. There's a 266 on CL right now.

12!!! Wow!

That's the main reason I jumped on this particular saw; it was so cheap, I don't feel the least bit bad about tinkering with it. After I get finished playing with it, I've got my $25 Husqvarna 136 to modify :)

I've got a pair of 42cc Craftsman saws(one a Poulan, the other a Poulan Pro) to sell locally to partially fund the next(big) saw. I've been looking at some 290 Stihls on the local Craigslist...maybe I'll score one to do a 390 conversion? Or maybe a big Husqvarna. There's a 266 on CL right now.

I am with you,if I don`t have much in a saw then why not put a few parts into it, this latest one was a freebie parts saw in a box, get them that way often. I put it all together to find out what was wrong and why it was torn down only to find the muffler screen solidly blocked, just removed it and the saw runs awesome.

I'm going to get this gal running well, and checked out properly...er, not in that order I suppose... but I digress...

Once things are in proper OEM order, I plan to stretch this saw's legs. A muffler mod is in order. Although she has the desirable stock carb, I'm considering an upgrade for down the road(Walbro 194?). Finally, I'll likely farm her out for a mild-ish port job.

Oh and I saw a YouTube vid where someone swapped the air filter and cover for one from a MS260. Which one?

I'm all ears:. What do you guys recommend for the upgrade path?

I'm afraid that violates my personal "Don't spend more on the air filter than I spent on the saw" policy, sir. /Sarcasm

I'm glad to hear that. Both bars that were included were 16" .325/.063. When I get home, I'll make sure the sprocket matches.

Thank you. He's kiddo #5, and all have had their issues...but this one's scary.

I sure didn't. See, I learn things all the time here. I appreciate the info...and now I feel silly lol.

I need to buy a chain and get busy with this saw!
i hear ya on that. but.............ya got a great saw for a great price. keep it running with good parts. i just worked on an MS 270 that the guy bought an AM filter for it. very poor fit and not very good flocking on it. just sayin.

i hear ya on that. but.............ya got a great saw for a great price. keep it running with good parts. i just worked on an MS 270 that the guy bought an AM filter for it. very poor fit and not very good flocking on it. just sayin.

Absolutely! I was just picking on you ;)

Back