stihl 026 oiler question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could someone let me know the approximate cost of the parts, how difficult it is to install and how long it will take to install? Thanks.

Could someone let me know the approximate cost of the parts, how difficult it is to install and how long it will take to install? Thanks.
As far as installation time goes...if your mechanically inclined probably < 15 minutes.

Steps involved to remove the old oiler
1) Remove E-Clip and washer
2) Remove clutch drum and bearing
3) Remove sparkplug and lay some rope at the top of the piston when its near top dead center to hold the piston in position.
4) Use a 19mm wrench/socket (non impact) and remove the clutch by turning it clockwise (left hand threads).
5) You'll now be able to see the oiler so remove the two T27 torx holding the oiler on.
6) Now remove the oiler hose before removing the oiler. If you are replacing the oil line at the same time (recommended) you will need to remove the inner guide plate (brassish looking plate over the bar studs by removing a small flathead screw). After the oil line is removed from the oiler use a small needed nose pliers and gently pull the oil line through and out the exit hole (hole behind the innerguide plate).
7) Remove the oiler drive gear by just sliding it off the crankshaft.

Steps involved to install the new oiler
1) Slide the new bushing you got with your oiler onto the crank. (I think there might be also a washer that goes on behind this...I cannot remember off hand now).
2) Position your new oiler over the crank and reattach your old hose or your new oiler hose and fasten down the new oiler with the two T27 screws.
3) Now slide your new worm gear with tang over the crank and over the bushing.
4) Reinstall your clutch by turning it counter clockwise.
5) Install your new clutch drum and bearing making sure your new oiler worm tang seats in the tiny notch in your new drum.
6) Put your washer and eclip back on.
7) Reattach your innerguide plate with the flathead screw
8) Remove rope from cylinder
9) Reinstall sparkplug

More like somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/8-3/16" I think. Heck I might be able to have a little niche retrofitting new parts for old saws! lolol

John - LOL you may want to add "High Tech Machinist" in your signature line too ;).

As far as installation time goes...if your mechanically inclined probably < 15 minutes.

Steps involved to remove the old oiler
1) Remove E-Clip and washer
2) Remove clutch drum and bearing
3) Remove sparkplug and lay some rope at the top of the piston when its near top dead center to hold the piston in position.
4) Use a 19mm wrench/socket (non impact) and remove the clutch by turning it clockwise (left hand threads).
5) You'll now be able to see the oiler so remove the two T27 torx holding the oiler on.
6) Now remove the oiler hose before removing the oiler. If you are replacing the oil line at the same time (recommended) you will need to remove the inner guide plate (brassish looking plate over the bar studs by removing a small flathead screw). After the oil line is removed from the oiler use a small needed nose pliers and gently pull the oil line through and out the exit hole (hole behind the innerguide plate).
7) Remove the oiler drive gear by just sliding it off the crankshaft.

Steps involved to install the new oiler
1) Slide the new bushing you got with your oiler onto the crank. (I think there might be also a washer that goes on behind this...I cannot remember off hand now).
2) Position your new oiler over the crank and reattach your old hose or your new oiler hose and fasten down the new oiler with the two T27 screws.
3) Now slide your new worm gear with tang over the crank and over the bushing.
4) Reinstall your clutch by turning it counter clockwise.
5) Install your new clutch drum and bearing making sure your new oiler worm tang seats in the tiny notch in your new drum.
6) Put your washer and eclip back on.
7) Reattach your innerguide plate with the flathead screw
8) Remove rope from cylinder
9) Reinstall sparkplug

One thing I found helpful was to separate the oil line from the pump by carefully prying/sliding back the aluminum ring holding the oil line to the pump, then working the line off the pump. That way, you can just pull the line out from the discharge hole using needlenose. That way, the hose is still intact, and you have a complete working oil pump assembly that can be used in another saw or as a backup. If that doesn't matter, then cutting the hose is easier than working around the brass sleeve at the output end of the hose.
I reused my pump, and it pumps just the right amount of oil. My dealer tells me that the adjustable ones do not move as much oil as the fixed ones. Minor point, but FYI

John - Ok yeah your right...if you have that aluminum collar on the line by the oil pump. Slide that up the hose before removing the line from the oiler. I forgot to mention that...some have that collar and some do not though. Your also probably right saying the non adj ones output a tad more oil than the adjustable ones maxxed out.

Back