Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's quite the fleet you have there. Im keeping my eye out for another (or two) 026's myself. Need spares of course.
That is the way to go really, with the cost and difficulty with supply of parts its good to have enough part saws around to keep a few running in case parts are needed. I keep the small expendables like rubber parts, carb kits, lines and filters in stock, buy them a dozen at a time. We lost our best Stihl dealership, now it `s hit or miss on parts delivery.

That is the way to go really, with the cost and difficulty with supply of parts its good to have enough part saws around to keep a few running in case parts are needed. I keep the small expendables like rubber parts, carb kits, lines and filters in stock, buy them a dozen at a time. We lost our best Stihl dealership, now it `s hit or miss on parts delivery.
We lost our best Stihl dealer too.

He was 76 years old, not dead retired. His showroom/parts was in his garage and shop in his basement. He'd do labor at reasonable rates and not try to sell you parts you didn't need.

A few of the 026`s hanging around, another half dozen on the ready to cut shelves.

View attachment 945534
Any idea what year they went from a red lever to the black lever? I've got a red lever and my brother has an older black lever and mine seems to have quite a bit more power than his.

We lost our best Stihl dealer too.

He was 76 years old, not dead retired. His showroom/parts was in his garage and shop in his basement. He'd do labor at reasonable rates and not try to sell you parts you didn't need.
Our dealer realized he could make much more money selling heavy earth moving machines, think excavators, bulldozers and heavy trucks.

holey smokes! Gerry
no wonder you needed those clutch bells.....Keith
Keith, I think you know I have a habit of keeping much more on hand than what`s needed at the moment and when I find time I often build a saw or three from just boxes of parts plus a donor saw or two. I did complete 14 builds from all those 044 parts saws I bought up, I kept only 5 for my personal needs, two Arctics and a 044 10 mil, two MS440`s. I really like good running 044`s and 026`s done up my way they fill most all of my cutting needs, then there is all the other saws I have to fill in any niche... ;)

Any idea what year they went from a red lever to the black lever? I've got a red lever and my brother has an older black lever and mine seems to have quite a bit more power than his.
I've got two 038 mags, one a black lever and the other is a red lever. I've had both apart, cylinders off both and I don't recall seeing anything different between the two. They both run the same, have the same carbs, the same muffler, air filter, etc. I'll look up the serial numbers to see how old they are. As I recall the black lever is 1995 and I think the red is 1992 or 1993 but I'll double check.

The “ reason “ for the red lever goes back to an OSHA regulation that required the “off” switch for hand held power equipment to be red in color. The 026 (and others presumably) started off with a black control lever and switched to red to be in compliance with the OSHA reg. Now, I don’t know why that doesn’t apply now but if you could pin down the year that reg went into effect you’d have your answer.

Wow and I wish I just had ONE!
If you lived closer I would make sure you had one. They just seemed to multiply for me after a friend bought me one from a fleamarket for the pricely sum of $5. , the saw was partly disassembled but would run. I remember buying another one locally for parts but after picking it up it needed only a carb kit to put it back in good running condition. That`s how they all came my way, needing a bit of this and that and the heard grew to over 17 of them at one time, a few have been dispersed here and there but the number has never dropped below 10 . They show up in all forms of condition, boxes of parts, saws torn down and never reassembled , complete and not running or mostly complete with a part or two missing. That first $5. one became my favorite and is the one I pick up first on any day to go cutting with.

Latest posts

Back