Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you lived closer I would make sure you had one. They just seemed to multiply for me after a friend bought me one from a fleamarket for the pricely sum of $5. , the saw was partly disassembled but would run. I remember buying another one locally for parts but after picking it up it needed only a carb kit to put it back in good running condition. That`s how they all came my way, needing a bit of this and that and the heard grew to over 17 of them at one time, a few have been dispersed here and there but the number has never dropped below 10 . They show up in all forms of condition, boxes of parts, saws torn down and never reassembled , complete and not running or mostly complete with a part or two missing. That first $5. one became my favorite and is the one I pick up first on any day to go cutting with.
That’s amazing to get your first one for $5! The 026, 260, 261 are my absolute favorite saws. I’m always keeping my out for a fixer but just never see them. Definitely missing my 261cm that the ex stole from me.
and thanks brother, that’s a very kind gesture.

That sure is a nice fleet of 026 saws. How do you like those two Dolmars I spot in the back row with the Partners?

If you lived closer I would make sure you had one. They just seemed to multiply for me after a friend bought me one from a fleamarket for the pricely sum of $5. , the saw was partly disassembled but would run. I remember buying another one locally for parts but after picking it up it needed only a carb kit to put it back in good running condition. That`s how they all came my way, needing a bit of this and that and the heard grew to over 17 of them at one time, a few have been dispersed here and there but the number has never dropped below 10 . They show up in all forms of condition, boxes of parts, saws torn down and never reassembled , complete and not running or mostly complete with a part or two missing. That first $5. one became my favorite and is the one I pick up first on any day to go cutting with.
Call on me for any thing you cant get there Gerry
Keith

That’s amazing to get your first one for $5! The 026, 260, 261 are my absolute favorite saws. I’m always keeping my out for a fixer but just never see them. Definitely missing my 261cm that the ex stole from me.
and thanks brother, that’s a very kind gesture.
They really never interested much at all before that first one coming my way, it is an Arctic model and those heated handles are nice at times. I have many friends and relations that look out for cheap to free saws for me so they keep coming my way far too easily. Many homeowner types won`t spend the money the shops want to repair a saw and would rather ditch one needing repair then buy a cheap expendable big box model. In all my time repairing the 026`s only one straight gassed one came along, most are very easy fixes of just fuel related bits as they all leave mix sitting in them for years on end.
T he 261 is truly a step up in performance over a stock 026 but any 026 I run is far over stock, sorry for your loss and I hope either saw comes your way soon.

They really never interested much at all before that first one coming my way, it is an Arctic model and those heated handles are nice at times. I have many friends and relations that look out for cheap to free saws for me so they keep coming my way far too easily. Many homeowner types won`t spend the money the shops want to repair a saw and would rather ditch one needing repair then buy a cheap expendable big box model. In all my time repairing the 026`s only one straight gassed one came along, most are very easy fixes of just fuel related bits as they all leave mix sitting in them for years on end.
T he 261 is truly a step up in performance over a stock 026 but any 026 I run is far over stock, sorry for your loss and I hope either saw comes your way soon.
I don’t know if this is the proper place for this post but I am new at chainsaw repair. I have a Stihl 026 that needs a new carburetor. Seeking advice on whether to go with Chinese knock off carb or the OEM Walbro carb. (The Saw is not modified. And won’t be.) And if the recommendation is to go with the Walbro which model (194?) should I order? I’ve attached a couple of pictures that might be helpful and making that assessment. The saw was purchased new in 1994. Thank you!!

Attachments

• B32D5B8A-AE83-4FEB-98F9-1131CAF58329.jpeg
    B32D5B8A-AE83-4FEB-98F9-1131CAF58329.jpeg
    969.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 63FF011C-4686-4FD7-9B9D-03556A88B443.jpeg
    63FF011C-4686-4FD7-9B9D-03556A88B443.jpeg
    831.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 13C2336D-5A23-4760-BDF3-2890694166BE.jpeg
    13C2336D-5A23-4760-BDF3-2890694166BE.jpeg
    930.2 KB · Views: 9
  • E2F16644-C20A-45C9-B445-6580C5F5ECDF.jpeg
    E2F16644-C20A-45C9-B445-6580C5F5ECDF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
I don’t know if this is the proper place for this post but I am new at chainsaw repair. I have a Stihl 026 that needs a new carburetor. Seeking advice on whether to go with Chinese knock off carb or the OEM Walbro carb. (The Saw is not modified. And won’t be.) And if the recommendation is to go with the Walbro which model (194?) should I order? I’ve attached a couple of pictures that might be helpful and making that assessment. The saw was purchased new in 1994. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 65D69195-B05E-425E-92C0-F6A5A139EFF5.jpeg
    65D69195-B05E-425E-92C0-F6A5A139EFF5.jpeg
    449.3 KB · Views: 7
Very nice. Why do some years have the decomp but others do not??
Because some were Pro models with the decomp and others were regular without. Even as old and tired as I am I don't need a decomp till i get out my 046 Mag or my MS462. My 036 Pro actually starts better when I don't use the decomp.

Latest posts

Back