stihl 026pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now it's my turn for a newbie question. What do you use to torque it all back together? I haven't seen a long enough socket-style T27 anywhere, online or in the real world. Do people skip the toque wrench and just go for "goon-n-tight" or what?

Nope, I torque them always... Socket style T27 are not hard to find... most use the 1/4 male version with an adapter.

Nope, I torque them always... Socket style T27 are not hard to find... most use the 1/4 male version with an adapter.

Andy, I've looked 'in the real world' and can't find one. Any particular store? Or internet store? My other option is to take the saw too the dealer when the time comes for torquing down the cylinder head.

Kevin

Hmmm.... I get the 1/4 male drive at my local Hardware store.. the 1/4 female version I get from Stihl just 'cos it's easier...

You'll also need an inch/lb (say up to 150) etc Torque wrench... I have an old snap on 12 ft/lb, but can do the required math...

I'm off to bed, but I'll look tomorrow. Try J&L Supply - online...

Around here, hardware stores and auto parts stores seem to skip T27 altogether -- there's often a small set that stops at 25, and a big one that starts at 30 :(

Two more things while I'm whining:

The multipurpose wrench that came with my FS55 has a T27 on the end, and is long enough to get at cylinder bolts, but the shaft diameter is too big.

If you really want to have fun, go to an auto parts store and tell them you need a tach that works on 2 stroke and reads up to 13,000. O'Reilly's was at least nice enough to be apologetic; the first clerk I talked to at Auto Zone didn't seem to know what a tachometer was. Not like I really thought they'd have something like that, but it was amusing to try. ;)

Hmmm.... I get the 1/4 male drive at my local Hardware store.. the 1/4 female version I get from Stihl just 'cos it's easier...

You'll also need an inch/lb (say up to 150) etc Torque wrench... I have an old snap on 12 ft/lb, but can do the required math...

I'm off to bed, but I'll look tomorrow. Try J&L Supply - online...

I found this: http://www.wihatools.com/771Sockets.htm

I do have a torque wrench...but in 1/2" drive and the lowest torque is 10 ft/lbs (in my 044 service manual, Stihl says 7.7 ft/lb for the cylinder base screws). I'll have to get me a 1/4" drive torque wrench that has a low enough torque measurement...I guess a guy can never have to many tools...:)

Kevin

I found this: http://www.wihatools.com/771Sockets.htm

I do have a torque wrench...but in 1/2" drive and the lowest torque is 10 ft/lbs (in my 044 service manual, Stihl says 7.7 ft/lb for the cylinder base screws). I'll have to get me a 1/4" drive torque wrench that has a low enough torque measurement...I guess a guy can never have to many tools...:)

Kevin

Yes.. definitely get another wrench... I find that a big wrench like yours on it's lowest setting is not going to reliabaly set even 10lb..

Wiha - nice stuff. I have several sets of their tools and keep them hidden from the paint-scraping stone-digging borrowers that just want a "screwdriver"

Torx Sets

Now it's my turn for a newbie question. What do you use to torque it all back together? I haven't seen a long enough socket-style T27 anywhere, online or in the real world. Do people skip the toque wrench and just go for "goon-n-tight" or what?

The ToolWareHouse.net has many sets that include T-27. I have SK 84232 for my torx and find SK to make decent tools.

They also have many other brands and have a Lisle T-27 single for $2.25.

They ship quick and I've always been satisfied.

Last edited:
The ToolWareHouse.net has many sets that include T-27. I have SK 84232 for my torx and find SK to make decent tools.

They also have many other brands and have a Lisle T-27 single for $2.25.

They ship quick and I've always been satisfied.

Cool, I'll add that to my list of sources.

once again, AS to the rescue.

I was wrong... The Male verison of the long T27 we also get from stihl.. but it has Whia stamped on it!

The length of the Stihl T27 is 125mm.

I was wrong... The Male verison of the long T27 we also get from stihl.. but it has Whia stamped on it!

The length of the Stihl T27 is 125mm.

Is that the Stihl # 0812 524 2104? Wiha is a top-notch German toolmaker and probably is Stihl's preferred OEM supplier of tools like this.

Back