Stihl 028 AV Super vs MS 290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you got some fun ahead of you! Once you got the saws running the way they should, that job you got won't take long at all. It will be more time & work splitting & stacking. It'll take you a couple hrs. maybe to cut the logs up, then a day to split & stack.

Awesome!!! Hopefully you see a difference in the power. That mod looks just right. Nice job :rock:

BTW, did readjust carb?

Yep. Ran the saw the first time yesterday since the muffler mod and all I can say is; Hell Yes- I got my saw back! The 310 always ran ok with the 18" bar that I had on it, but when I switched to the 20" for a little more reach- it killed the performance of the saw. I was really disappointed because not only had the saw declined, but I swapped four new 18" chains that I had never used for 20" chains, not to mention the cost of the (now used) bar. I'm amazed at what a huge difference such a small muffler modification can make. I wish I know about it/had done it a long time ago. The saw now runs better, stronger and faster with the 20" bar than it ever did with the 18" bar i had on it to begin with. Very thankful for the advise- Highly recommend it to any one else out there & best of all, it's free horsepower! The pix shows the proof of an afternoon's worth of cutting with a properly running saw. Scott

Yeah it's hard to explain to somebody what kind of difference they might see. Best I can describe it is like two different saws. My 390 seemed as if it doubled its power. As I understand it, not every saw is as responsive to the mod and supposedly the mod can even go too far that it negatively affects the saw. But my experience has been outstanding. Seems yours was, too. Looks like some big cuts you got there.

Well, LOTS of folks will really pipe up on behalf of the 028. They are of pro quality and very highly regarded. Personally, though, I've never had the love affair some have with the 028. It's pretty heavy for it's power and I'm an old skinny guy these days. My classic saw of choice for that size is the 026, which I find about perfect in the handling and weight category. It does not quite have the power the modern 50cc class has these day but, in my book, it's power is still very good with a few tweaks. There's nothing simpler or more reliable than a decent 026.

There is one caveat on the 028.. There are several favors from smaller bore, non-chain brake, metal tank versions to the greatly updated 028 super with a larger jug, more power, and a chain brake. They command more $, but even I would think about having one of those around. Soooo... What version do you have?

026 I have for almost 15 years..still working..I changed only sparks

Open those mufflers up on those 290/310/390

It only gets better

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

001.jpg

IMAG0038a_zps94de9315.jpg

Back