Stihl 028 AV Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes it matters

What I meant to ask was should I buy a rollomatic bar or the Oregon model or does it really matter.
depends on the RPM of the saw. I am by no means, a LOGGER, but I deal with virgin, hardwoods, that rollamatic bar will never last more than 1 day cutting,(thats my experience) chain on the otherhand, I swear by OREGON, chipper, first choice, #2 Oregon chissel... I have my 028av super tweaked up tho...that may make a diffrence

Last edited:
First let me say that this site is a Godsend for those of us that are not quite as knowledgeable in this field.
I have just purchased a Stihl 028 AV Super and I would like to know what most of you think of this saw. I have an 026 and I would like to know how this saw compares to its weight, rpms, cutting ability and durability. Thanks,

Also I am very happy with my 026, but I have used it quite extensively and it's starting to show.

I've had an older West German made 28AV and it is a fantastic saw. All aluminum and magnesium-no plastic-and has huge power. No chain brake, just need to be a bit more careful.

I love my 028 super as well, I have faster saws and lighter saws, but it's still a favorite.

028`s will outlast their original owners.
Pioneerguy600

So what's the original price tag on the 028? There's one for sale in my area by the original owner -- in mint condition for $375. Should I just wait for the estate sale as the saw outlives the guy (at that price)?:)

Poge

Pardon me for being sentimental and stupid, but I find it fitting that a thread about a saw model with so much popularity and longevity is showing longevity of its own. :clap: :clap:

So what's the original price tag on the 028? There's one for sale in my area by the original owner -- in mint condition for $375. Should I just wait for the estate sale as the saw outlives the guy (at that price)?:)

Poge
You can get mint ones for way cheaper than that! I usually see very nice used 028 Super's go for as much as $330 or so during peak ebay season (between October and March), which IMO, is real good. I've sold a couple nice ones there, and they've ranged from $260 (I fetched only $260, I believe, because I waited until mid May to post it) to $330. They both still had their original Bars and had shiny plastic.

Last edited:
Pardon me for being sentimental and stupid, but I find it fitting that a thread about a saw model with so much popularity and longevity is showing longevity of its own. :clap: :clap:

Yeah, I don't think it's just a coincidence - hehe.:clap::clap:

I did think $375 was a bit much for one, tho.:monkey:

Poge

I can't remember what I paid for mine. Wasn't anywhere near $375 though, and was more like around $200. I'd rate mine as being in very good condition when I bought it not long ago. Needed a new clutch cover and a cleanup, was all.

Last edited:
How did we end up posting in a thread that's been dormant for 8 1/2 years?

I think it's cool when that happens! It always wakes me up and gives me a neat perspective on how time changes things (or sometimes don't!). My, my, all those different faces and names.

We're really not here for long, Gents.... make it count!

Last edited:

I'm just happy to see that someone used the search function, as that is the only way the thread could have resurfaced. JJuday

Poge

Well I have bought and sold nearly a dozen of them, all in good shape, some I got for $50.-$100. but have never paid more than $250 for one yet, it was near new and I knew the original owner and where he bought the saw, came with original bar, chain, case,spare Stihl chain and tool set.
Pioneerguy600

It rocks!

Hey, I have to chime in here. Yes, this is an old thread, but I have had my 028 AV Super for at least 15 years. It's always been my main saw. I have a smaller Stihl and a Homelite that was given to me. I live in the mountains of Montana, just outside of Yellowstone Park. We cut wood up here like there is no tomorrow. Many of us ONLY heat our homes with wood stoves. With a good Oregon bar and several Oregon chains, this saw runs circles around my neighbors and friends saws. The weather gets crazy up here at times and trees go down left and right... on power lines, houses, sheds and the roads. I have jumped in to help with several others and rip through trees twice as fast as most anyone. This saw is one of the best out there in the 18-20" bar range. And that's all I have to say about that. ;-)

Back