Stihl 031

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallElf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Pop has a 031 that Gpop found on the side of the road in the late 70's early 80's. It was a great saw, quite the bear If I remember. It has since seen better days and a few parts were salvaged to fix up our 026. (mostly just screws and bolts.) The engine has difficulty starting, (Starts once per 100 pulls or so and peters out quicker than a politician in a truth telling contest).

Is there anyone in the NE PA, Southern Tier NY area that would reccommend a place to take it. I do have a Stihl Dealer in town, but i figure that this would be the place to dig up more information.

Any help would be awesome. (If I can get it fixed up reasonably, I can have it.)

Also, our 026 will start, runs like HECK, but will cut out if you take your hand off the throttle for more than 8 seconds. I am not a motor guy, but would be more than glad to figure out the land of small engines in the quest to acquire a few "Fixer uppers"

Do a search on here about carburetors.Sounds like they need the fuel system gone through. Fuel lines/filter, carb probably rebuilt and new impulse lines. If your not a mechanic Im sure these guys here can walk you through it all.:cheers:

best of luck with the stihl dealer, mine told me they couldent get anything for it since it was so old. if you got a decent one who will work with olderstuff you might be fine. ebay is about the best place to get parts for these old saws.

the ignitions seem to be a weaker point on these old saws and the ignition parts are getting fairly scarce. even when you do find parts they can be old and the condensors dry out.

from what i hear they were great saws and i hope my ignition module comes in soon and works so i can play with mine.

look/ask over on the chainsaw section, if the guys over there can't help... don't think anyone will

best of luck with the stihl dealer, mine told me they couldent get anything for it since it was so old. if you got a decent one who will work with olderstuff you might be fine. ebay is about the best place to get parts for these old saws.

the ignitions seem to be a weaker point on these old saws and the ignition parts are getting fairly scarce. even when you do find parts they can be old and the condensors dry out.

from what i hear they were great saws and i hope my ignition module comes in soon and works so i can play with mine.

your dealer was giving you a line of bs, you still can get a lot of parts for the 031, not all the parts, buts you can get some, i bought a few parts saw to make sure mine will keep on running

I think i will kidnap it on Friday and drop it off to the Local shop to see what they say. As I say, I am not the greatest with the mechanical aspect of things. (Gettin better) but would like someone to look it over before I bugger it up worse than it already is.

Latest posts

Back