Stihl 034 av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm transforming my 034 into an 036 as we speak. My goal is about 1HP gain. (1/2 HP from cylinder and 1/2 HP from muffler mods).

I really like the 034's and they seem to be a sleeper in Stihl's lineup.

I bought a 036 cylinder kit on Ebay and it fits my 034 like a glove. Fortunately my muffler also fits the new cylinder just by removing the spacer. (there seems to be lots of versions of 034 mufflers so you might get lucky).

I had to order a new cylinder gasket, new piston pin clips, a decompresssion valve plug for the new cylinder, and decided to replace the pulse hose just to be safe.

The shroud will need to be customized to fit the 036 cylinder but a die grinder or Dremel makes it easy.

My biggest concern was carburation but I plan to try the stock Zamas S19. I'd think there'd be enough adjustment range to support an 036 cylinder. From IPL's I see that the same jets are used in 036QS's and other 036 variant saws. However I'm prepared to replace the carb if need be.

I also found out that 034's lack the cooling plate between muffler and cylinder but 036's have it so decided to order one.

Send me a PM later in the week because I should have it done and tested by then.
get the thinner cyl gasket, the regular one is 1 mil and the saw will
benefit from more compresion

I bought mine on March 28, 1992 for $434 plus tax. In 2000 the ignition module went out and they fixed it for free. It did not start this spring so I take it in and it cost $131 to fix. Carb rebuild, a few hoses and a few other things. I was very pleased. It is still my main firewood saw .

Reviving 17 year old threads guarantees hilarity for all

The funny thing is that I had no earthly idea that I've had my aforementioned 034 Super for anywhere near as long as 17 years until re-reading my previous comments just now!
It's been a great saw with no need for repairs, and I just used it again 2 days ago to cut up a storm-felled tree for a co-worker. My intention was to simply do it as a favor but they insisted on paying me $400 (for 2 hours of work). That's an hourly wage that could become addictive!

The funny thing is that I had no earthly idea that I've had my aforementioned 034 Super for anywhere near as long as 17 years until re-reading my previous comments just now!
It's been a great saw with no need for repairs, and I just used it again 2 days ago to cut up a storm-felled tree for a co-worker. My intention was to simply do it as a favor but they insisted on paying me $400 (for 2 hours of work). That's an hourly wage that could become addictive!

I've had my 034 for 30 years this year. It just runs every time I ask it to with only basic maintenance. Love that saw.

Reviving 17 year old threads guarantees hilarity for allYou rang?
You rang?!! I'm retired, and, even before, I rarely visit AS. Andy (Lakeside) and I are friends still. Done a lot of tree work for him and the neighbors he's referred to us.

Me doing some deadwooding on a pacific Madrona, circa 2014 1682094962524.png

Latest posts

Back