Stihl 044 becoming a BEAST to crank!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My old 044 is getting harder to start...almost pulling meat of my fingers as it snatches back!
I've done some good searches on this topic...just trying to narrow down the possible issues.
Any solutions and feedback on this problem?
Thanks

You would have to pull the flywheel off. Check and make sure the woodruff key is intact. If it slipped to advanced timing it may be firing prematurely, causing it to rip from your hands. Low grade fuel may also cause the same issue with pre detonation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My MS440 and my 038 are like that. I just have to pull hard and after the first pull it's easier if I pull again immediately. A D handle might make it easier. If everything mentioned above checks out okay.

Is it every time?
I'm assuming from you saying, "my old 044", that you've had it a long time, and this is a new development?
Do you have an Elastostart and a decompression valve?
If you do, make sure the decompression valve doesn't shut too easily (prematurely).
It should shut only when the mix explodes. Not every pull.

It could be a gradual build-up of carbon on the piston crown and in the combustion chamber.

I had a Mcculloch 3-10 that was like that once. The compression was 195 psi. I put some lawnmower tune up spray in the spark plug hole. It's supposed to remove carbon buildup. I ran the saw and the compression went down to 155 psi. I don't know if that is the best idea for a chainsaw but this saw did have a steel sleeve in the cylinder instead of a chrome bore. The carburetor still needs some work (flatback carb.) but that's a different story.

Try some of that seafoam deep creep maybe? Kinda goes along with what Brandon said above

Seafoam would work too. I used this stuff because I got it at an estate sale and it sounded like it would work. And it did work good.
66081c2cb6ff4ad082c8de0976dd1e9f.jpg
5094a8b0a4c57d3caa905fb60d5345f8.jpg

My old 044 is getting harder to start...almost pulling meat of my fingers as it snatches back!
I've done some good searches on this topic...just trying to narrow down the possible issues.
Any solutions and feedback on this problem?
Thanks

Also pulling it like you have a limp wrist will do it.
Have a few saws you have to pull like you plan to rip the recoil right off the ****er or it will rip your fingers off.
So,what you are basically saying is, "quit being a ***** and pull harder"? Wow.

Obviously the saw has a mechanical issue, and we all know what happens when you keep trying to run a saw with a mechanical problem... so once again, thanks for the asinine advice. Not. :nofunny:

09f4bf610c7a00267ea03c9896760461.jpg

I've been wanting to try it myself but haven't bought it yet. Looks like it could be a winner. Maybe followed up with the regular seafoam in the gas to clean it out some more after.

I picked up an MS440 a couple years ago at a scrap yard for $7 it was complete but had bad gas tank. It even had a 32" bar and chain. I got the saw home and the piston would move up but once it got to the top it wouldn't move anymore. I pulled the muffler and abunch or motor oil ran out of the cylinder. From then on it turned fine and had good compression. It will jerk the rope out of your hands it you aren't careful. It has no decomp tho.

A guy was going to buy the saw for $7 but didn't have the money and said he was going to go see if he could come up with the money. The guy who owns the place knew me well and sold it to me for $7. I went back a couple hours later and that guy was selling some scrap iron and asked one the guys what happened to the saw and he said this isn't Walmart, we don't have layaway.

A guy was going to buy the saw for $7 but didn't have the money and said he was going to go see if he could come up with the money. The guy who owns the place knew me well and sold it to me for $7. I went back a couple hours later and that guy was selling some scrap iron and asked one the guys what happened to the saw and he said this isn't Walmart, we don't have layaway.

Thats some score. Belongs in the "you suck thread".

Latest posts

Back