Stihl 044 price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe12345

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all, new here but have used the site quite a bit for research.
Im looking at getting a bigger saw, Ive been using a 026 for years and it runs great, but is kinda slow for the big stuff. anyways I found a used 044 on craigslist, it looks like it hasnt been used much, has a 28 in bar and comes with a couple extra chains. Hes asking 400$, is this a good deal? what should I look out for when testing it out? and lastly, how much faster would it be than my 026? thanks!!

I'd be careful advertising good craigslist deals around here, it won't last long if it's nice for $400. A good running 044 is a very desirable saw, and is a whole different animal than an 026.

Inspect for anything broken.
Run it and make sure it idles, revs, and oils.
If they will let you, take the muffler off and look at the piston for damage.

The muffler pull is a must on a used saw that will cost more than $100... $400 for a saw that needs a p&c and whatever else will not be a good investment for you.

Pull muffler. Compression Test. Make sure it idles well and low enough to not spin chain at idle (fast or unstable idle can be a sign of a vac leak).

Pop top cover, see if jug is OEM stihl. Look for model number, Mahle, or KS markings on jug.

$400 for a clean 044 is a good price, esp with a 28" bar.

I saw one for $100 at the beginning of the week. I called the guy and was first in line... then he sold it before I could get there:cry:. I wasn't planning on buying another saw at this time, but that woulda been a sweet deal.

not to jack this thread, but what is an 046 worth? i have 2, both have 28 inch bars, one with a large clutch cover, one without, the one without is an arctic, i have rebuilt both, one is oem one has a meteor in it. Both now have 3/4 wrap bars, it would scare you how much money i dont have in these saws, i would just like to know if they are a 250 dollar saw or a 500 dollar saw. Dont see too many in this set up around here,

I've got a 100% positive feedback score in eBay as auto_parts_and_chainsaws standing over several years till last fall. Now I've been blocked from listing or signing in cause I only owed them 45 dollars then it jumped to $580 didn't know why from last fall till three months ago.. Now I know why. A very dishonest buyer claimed a brand-new Husqy saw was all but brand-new. I was blocked from logging in. Seller got the saw and my cash. Anyway I have the Stihl 044 Magnum package for you!?? $565 shipped. I'll back it with 15 days return. Given you return it as it left me. Free shipping, scabbard, case, three new chains and at least one long bar used. Let me know.

Are you talking g to me woodbossaddict? If so these ain't rare saws, just saws that I made into what they are, and they ain't for sale I'm just trying too see what others think they are worth. If you got an idea though let me know.

Back