Stihl 045 AV problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres the link here, http://m.ebay.com/itm/190590733267?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

After I get the modual ill change out the SEM flywheel for a bosch one to. That's about it right?

Your posts got me confused. If you have the late SEM FW already, then you 're buying the aftermarket Bosch module?

Do you have the FW off, so you can post a picture of the ignition ? Or even faster, post a picture of the FW from the outside and we can ID it.

Your posts got me confused. If you have the late SEM FW already, then you 're buying the aftermarket Bosch module?

Do you have the FW off, so you can post a picture of the ignition ? Or even faster, post a picture of the FW from the outside and we can ID it.[/quote

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    999.1 KB · Views: 64
yep, that's a SEM flywheel. i have the same one on my stihl 056. why don't you get a ts350/08s ignition?

Okk great thanks! And I'm about to order the new replacement ignition modual from Germany, (that replaces bosch ignitions.) (its on ebay now in germany). anyone have one or heard how they work? Just wondering how effective they are before I order.

those work fine. i've never heard of them failing. they are a good (albeit expensive) solution if you have a bosch flywheel. if you have the SEM flywheel, then you want to get an ignition from a ts350/08s.

yep, that's a SEM flywheel. i have the same one on my stihl 056. why don't you get a ts350/08s ignition?

Patience grasshopper! If that's a SEM, it's an early GE series, not the later TS350 one, as the flywheel is all wrong for that.

Tyler,
Look for brass countersunk bolt heads on the flywheel rim, that will tell if it's an old SEM, without pulling the FW off. Looks like Bosch CDI after all, and the Germany one is the match. This is a picture of the early SEM rim

The 020 & 031 uses the same plug as this 045/056 series.

Attachments

• S056 GE SEM.jpg
    S056 GE SEM.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 30
Patience grasshopper! If that's a SEM, it's an early GE series, not the later TS350 one, as the flywheel is all wrong for that.

Tyler,
Look for brass countersunk bolt heads on the flywheel rim, that will if it's an old SEM, without pulling the FW off. Looks like Bosch CDI after all, and the Germany one is the match. This is a picture of the early SEM rim

The 020 & 031 uses the same plug as this 045/056 series.

interesting, i didn't know there were different series. my 056 flywheel looks exactly like the picture.

Look for brass countersunk bolt heads on the flywheel rim, that will tell if it's an old SEM, without pulling the FW off. Looks like Bosch CDI after all, and the Germany one is the match.

I checked my flywheel, and it has brass countersunk screws with a flat head on them. but my ignition has a SEM G_/E printed behind it. are there any ignition solutions that will work with this flywheel?

Looks like this? So the bosch cdi one from Germany (the one from the link I posted I'm assuming?) would work with this flywheel? Or were you referring to Something else? @hotshot

I ended up ordering that module from Germany. I figured it was a SEM type from the outer flywheel and how it was shaped. I figured I'd just order a bosch flywheel so it will work with the module. @hotshot @DanS

I did a little bit of research and it looked like there wasnt much hope for getting the SEM ignition running properly?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
None for the early GE, other than replacement with OEM, that I know of.

There were four different ignitions, over that 045/056 series' life, including the original Bosch points. The OP is going back with an aftermarket Bosch CDI type, because it appears that it was a Bosch CDI system to begin with.

Looks like this? So the bosch cdi one from Germany (the one from the link I posted I'm assuming?) would work with this flywheel? Or were you referring to Something else? @hotshot

Yes , that will work with your FW, if there's no brass screws,

I ended up ordering that module from Germany. I figured it was a SEM type from the outer flywheel and how it was shaped. I figured I'd just order a bosch flywheel so it will work with the module. @hotshot @DanS[/

Yes, Bosch CDI FWs are dirt cheap and easy to find, as I've thrown away dozens with their modules.

"I did a little bit of research and it looked like there wasnt much hope for getting the SEM ignition running properly?"

Correct, the electrical parts are potted in with an epoxy and not serviceable. Too bad they did that, as it wouldn't be hard to replace the trigger if the charging coil was still OK, plus it retains too much heat.

Ok now I have a couple questions haha
1. What is cdi anyways?
2. So my modual I ordered from Germany will work with my flywheel? Or do I need to get a bosch one?
3. So is there more ignitions than the ones I know of then (SEM) (bosch point and condenser) (bosch electronic). Those are the only ones I know of.
4. You guys would know more than me, I'm just getting into this and I'd like to know more, I don't have to much education on these things but I'd love to learn more.

Ok now I have a couple questions haha
1. What is cdi anyways?
2. So my modual I ordered from Germany will work with my flywheel? Or do I need to get a bosch one?
3. So is there more ignitions than the ones I know of then (SEM) (bosch point and condenser) (bosch electronic). Those are the only ones I know of.
4. You guys would know more than me, I'm just getting into this and I'd like to know more, I don't have to much education on these things but I'd love to learn more.

my understanding:
1. electronic ignitino
2. you need the bosch flywheel (easy to get 2nd hand) to run the german bosch replacement ignition
3. There are 4 in total it seems. There are 2 SEM ignitions. The GE that i have, and a later version. The points, and bosch electronic ignition.
4. we're all learning :)

D

Ok thank you!
I'm also trying to find a flywheel puller for the 045 as well, can't find em. anyone know where there would be one for sale?

Ok thank you!
I'm also trying to find a flywheel puller for the 045 as well, can't find em. anyone know where there would be one for sale?

the stihl dealer. or if you're only doing this as a one off, just use the hammer method.

Might do that as a last resort haha, but I received the Ignition module, I guess I'm surprised of the simplicity of the way it looks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 37
Hello guys, I believe I have an ignition problem on my 045ave as well

I was running the saw, and as soon as I put the saw through the tree, it cut out And started bogging down. Idled fine but finally quit on me. I checked the spark it was weak. So now I'm going to replace it myself. I need some advice and I have some questions to.
1. Before I take the flywheel off ill put the piston stop In, then after, does it matter what position I put the ignition modual in? May be a stupid question but I thought it would mess with the timing, not sure.

2. Does this sound like an ignition problem? I figured it is because I've had these saws before with the same problem. And I bought the saw from the original owner.

3. I've done a little research on eBay on the differnt modules, if its a SEM ignition, should I just buy a good used on on eBay? Is it worth it? Or if its bosch I was thinking about shipping it to CA to have it fixed and sent back. What would be the best bet?

This would be greatly appreciated if you can give me some helpful information. Thanks guys!

Sounds like you may not have an ignition problem at all. Usually when modules fail due to heat, the engine will stop completely sometimes even during the cut; it almost seems as if someone randomly flipped the kill switch off on you. Once the saw cools down again it fires right back up again.
Usually the SEM electronic ignition both the G/E and G/A type modules were much more reliable than the Bosch. Hopefully you didn't buy a new ignition in vain...

Might do that as a last resort haha, but I received the Ignition module, I guess I'm surprised of the simplicity of the way it looks
How did it work out? Did you get around to swapping it out, and did it cure the issue?

Back