Stihl 045 AV problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erwatt

Reaction score
I bought an old Stihl 045 AV on fleabay a few weeks ago. It has a
32" bar which it handles pretty good, when it's running. I bought the saw to help my dad cut up a couple logs, 36" and 48"+. The saw starts good when cold. I can make a couple cuts, turn the saw off, and it will not re-start until I wait 15 to 20 min??? I have tried the starter fluid and it will not start. I have a spark, not sure if it's a good spark or not. After the waiting period, it starts right up. I would like to get the saw in good working condition. Does anyone out there have this saw with a similar problem or can tell me where to start?
Oh yeah, the saw goes through a tank of gas in around 15 minutes. Is that normal?
One more thing - this beast weighs a ton!!! Sometimes the 15 to 20 minute break is much needed by the operator.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures?

Do an advanced search on "Bosch Stihl 045" for information.

Does the saw have the word "electronic" at the bottom of the Stihl 045AV nameplate?

If it's an early 045 model, you probably just need to clean & reset the points. It may however be the coil opening up when it gets hot.
I always stick an in-line spark tester, which you can get cheap at any automotive/Harbor Freight store, onto the spark plug & into the lead wire, then watch the light/spark when it quits on you...no doubt what's going on then.

If it's a later model & it has the crappy Bosch electronic ignition, you're in for some real green folding money to get a SEM flywheel & SEM module to update it to a late 056 igntion system.

+1 on the condenser/coil going south on that model. Funny as some WIMA caps arrived today for this app as I'm installing on a 031AV and will work great on your saw if condenser is bad..good luck

Stihl 045

That sounds to me like the classic Bosch ignition failure...the module cooks under the flywheel and eventually fails.I converted my 056 which is essentially identical to the 045 to a points ignition system.There is a fix described on this site for the electronic ignition in which the electronics are scrapped and an available trigger coil is wired into the ignition circuit.Haven't tried the fix myself, but seems like an ingenius inexpensive alternative.And yes,those saws are heavy,real nice for bucking on a landing,but not my choice for felling(unless the tree diameter is sizable).Good luck

045 Ignition

32" bar which it handles pretty good, when it's running. I bought the saw to help my dad cut up a couple logs, 36" and 48"+. The saw starts good when cold. I can make a couple cuts, turn the saw off, and it will not re-start until I wait 15 to 20 min??? I have tried the starter fluid and it will not start. I have a spark, not sure if it's a good spark or not. After the waiting period, it starts right up. I would like to get the saw in good working condition. Does anyone out there have this saw with a similar problem or can tell me where to start?
Oh yeah, the saw goes through a tank of gas in around 15 minutes. Is that normal?
One more thing - this beast weighs a ton!!! Sometimes the 15 to 20 minute break is much needed by the operator.

Posted about where to get new ignition modules for the 045AV super.
Ordered one.
In upstate SC as well.

Stihl 045 AV Super ignition coil

Had the same problem you described.
Stihl 045 AV Super would run for 15-30 minutes, then die. No spark.
Let it set for a while, would crank again.
Bosch ignition finally failed - no spark.

Ordered a new ignition module/coil from Germany.
Saw started right up and runs well now.
Replacement coil/module doesn't look the same as original, but works fine.
You have to solder an extension on the replacement module ignition stop wire.
Its too short. Also had to slightly reroute the spark cable.
If your saw has the fiber washer on crank [for points type ignition], you have to discard that as well. New ignition module doesn't have the recess underneath to allow fiber washer clearance.

While I had the saw apart, replaced the intake bellows with a new part.
It had a crack under the clamp where the bellows meets the intake port.
Also replaced the impulse tube with a new part.
Impulse tube wasn't leaking, but the original was over 25 years old.

IHshortwood.jpg

I would surely like to find the location of replacement the Stihl 045 Bosch electronic ignition coil! It has the same problem describe by all who own the
early electronic Stihl 045's (has turned to a sour note for me where Stihl is concerned) Anyone who has the address to order this coil please reply.
thank you

045 ignition

You need to check out blind hog's fix posted on this site.Bottom line:a $26 available from stihl trigger coil should get you going after slight modification to your stator

I just came to join arboristsite.com and I can not seem to a reply sent me by email entitled Blind hog's fix. Just how would I find it.

I just came to join arboristsite.com and I can not seem to a reply sent me by email entitled Blind hog's fix. Just how would I find it.

Do the Advance Search
Search Types: All Types
User Name: Blind Hog
Search Now

The thread (Stihl 056 Bosch Ignition 11-04-2010) will come up.

It's a cheap and excellent fix to the ignition problem.

045 Ignition

If I were to undertake the fix described by blind hog,I might attach the trigger coil to the saw's exterior and run my wiring to the stator housing along the primary cable...put the heat shrink tubing to the wires too.This will keep the coil cooler and more accessible

Hello guys, I believe I have an ignition problem on my 045ave as well

I was running the saw, and as soon as I put the saw through the tree, it cut out And started bogging down. Idled fine but finally quit on me. I checked the spark it was weak. So now I'm going to replace it myself. I need some advice and I have some questions to.
1. Before I take the flywheel off ill put the piston stop In, then after, does it matter what position I put the ignition modual in? May be a stupid question but I thought it would mess with the timing, not sure.

2. Does this sound like an ignition problem? I figured it is because I've had these saws before with the same problem. And I bought the saw from the original owner.

3. I've done a little research on eBay on the differnt modules, if its a SEM ignition, should I just buy a good used on on eBay? Is it worth it? Or if its bosch I was thinking about shipping it to CA to have it fixed and sent back. What would be the best bet?

This would be greatly appreciated if you can give me some helpful information. Thanks guys!

Welcome aboard!:)

1. No, you don't need to set it exactly like the old module, start with "midway in the screw slots" if there are no alignment marks, then advance it CW later if it doesn't kick back and bust your knuckles when you start it. If it does kick back at midway, then move it CCW a bit.

2. Sometimes it is hard to differentiate a carb/fuel problem versus an ignition problem, but if it has "weak" spark when you checked it, I would run it with a cheap in-line Harbor Fright spark tester to verify "no spark" or weak spark when it dies again. CD ignitions are very fast, and thus the spark won't be a fat blue spark like points ignition coils put out. The spark will be a thin blue spark, and it helps to get in a darker spot in the shop, or under some shade to see it.

3. You'll quickly know which ignition it has when you get to the flywheel, but post some pictures then if you need help. I've never heard of a business in CA that rebuilds the old Bosch CDs. I would not buy a used or new Bosch CD module, but instead would run the replacement Bosch from FleaBuy in Germany if you want to use the same flywheel FW. You will have to find the one piece SEM FW to run the newer SEM ignition if you go that route, and sometimes the FWs are hard to find at a reasonable price.

Thanks! And fleabuy in Germany? I've never heard of them, I just tried looking them up do you happen to have a link to their website?

I'm taking the saw apart tonight, ill post some pictures of it, I did take the carb apart, and their was sawdust that was clogging the main port underneath the flip lever that has the spring under it.

The bosch rebuild/repair service is available on eBay now for 80$. You'll see it if you look up "stihl 045 ignition."

Same place...fleabuy...eBay, that's just what I call it.

That flip lever is the metering lever, and the screen on the opposite side (fuel pump side) will plug up quickly if the fuel line has a split or the foam filter in the pickup body degrades.

Looks like that rebuilder is just adding a $15 Nova II chip/ignition module to a points type stator for $80, thus you have to have the points type first to trade in and also have the points type flywheel to run it.

Okk great thanks! And I'm about to order the new replacement ignition modual from Germany, (that replaces bosch ignitions.) (its on ebay now in germany). anyone have one or heard how they work? Just wondering how effective they are before I order.

Back