Stihl 066 and ATF

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of putting ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) for bar oil in a saw? When i bought the 660 the previous owner ran ATF for bar oil. Are you kidding me?? I had to flush the heck out of it.
-ac

Used or new? I've heard of people using everything in them around here. Some guys run whatever is the cheapest thing they can find that resembles oil.

I used to work with a guy that did it from time to time. Not going to hurt the saw at all.

ATF, hydraulic fluids,engine oil new and used are all common oil/fluids used on chain bars . Some are rather messy but they all get the job done, maybe not as well as bar oil but better than no bar oil. Some fellows I know have used nothing different all their lives and scoff at buying bar oil.
Pioneerguy600

Never had any issues with ATF. I will spend up to $6.00 a gallon to lube a bar and chain. After that the bars and chain are cheaper than the oil.

So what do you guys say about using used ATF mixed with actual bar oil....My soon to be F-I-L flushed his tranny and has a 5 gal bucket of the stuff. its still red looks fairly new....he flushed it out of 2008 chevy truck. Id be using it in older macs and pioneers. That way i can keep real bar oil for my modern saws. just an idea

So what do you guys say about using used ATF mixed with actual bar oil....My soon to be F-I-L flushed his tranny and has a 5 gal bucket of the stuff. its still red looks fairly new....he flushed it out of 2008 chevy truck. Id be using it in older macs and pioneers. That way i can keep real bar oil for my modern saws. just an idea

atf can break down some rubber lines.
but
i say if it ain't eatin the rubber parts (probably not) then go ahead and blend it.
just try and get enough real bar oil in the mix to keep some tackiness.

be aware though that atf is far thinner than most bar oil. i'd vary the amount of atf mixed in my bar oil according to the outside temps like a homebrewed winter bar oil.

Has anyone ever heard of putting ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) for bar oil in a saw? When i bought the 660 the previous owner ran ATF for bar oil. Are you kidding me?? I had to flush the heck out of it.
-ac
I don't understand the question.The biggest problem you're gonna have with atf for bar oil is keeping the tank from running dry,it will keep the b/c lubed fine till it does.

some people are just dumbasses

...............just say no to crack

LOL..who you talkin to?

atf can break down some rubber lines.
but
i say if it ain't eatin the rubber parts (probably not) then go ahead and blend it.
just try and get enough real bar oil in the mix to keep some tackiness.

be aware though that atf is far thinner than most bar oil. i'd vary the amount of atf mixed in my bar oil according to the outside temps like a homebrewed winter bar oil.

that was my thoughts thats why i asked...I know used lubricants develop acids...Ive heard of new atf eating away rubber

If ATF eats rubber how does a transmission last with all those rubber "O" rings and rubber parts inside and the lines to the cooler being rubber???????????
How the f do these ideas get started?

If ATF eats rubber how does a transmission last with all those rubber "O" rings and rubber parts inside and the lines to the cooler being rubber???????????
How the f do these ideas get started?

Dont be so harsh..not all rubbers are the same..everyone knows that...most o-rings are neoprene...Im more worried about the older rubber used in old macs oil lines..thats why i asked..that how the F that idea got started. So chill out.

Dont be so harsh..not all rubbers are the same..everyone knows that...most o-rings are neoprene...Im more worried about the older rubber used in old macs oil lines..thats why i asked..that how the F that idea got started. So chill out.

absolutely.

hey rupe,
why not go out and replace your metal or atf rated rubber trans cooling lines with some rubber fuel line.
let us know how that works out for ya. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back