Stihl 076 AV conversion to 3/8 - trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my pressure testing kit.
attachment.php

Here's a post describing the bits and pieces.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1502928&postcount=3

Thanks for the ideas. It will have to wait for the weekend. However, the :cheers: from the other post does sound good. Heat index is supposed to be 110 here again today.

Just as BobL said the impulse line was cracked. Thanks BobL

That saw seems pretty well made. The rim needs to be replaced . I'll check to see if i can get one at the local saw shops. Now i need to buy that clutch tool or make one.

Just as BobL said the impulse line was cracked. Thanks BobL
Cheers BB - Does that mean it runs better now?
I'd still pressure test and tune it.

That saw seems pretty well made. The rim needs to be replaced . I'll check to see if i can get one at the local saw shops. Now i need to buy that clutch tool or make one.

They are tough saws - I really like mine - If you know how to do it, it starts easily without using the decomp valve and just runs and runs and runs.

A new rim call for a new chain or preferably pair of chains. If you run old chain on a new rim both will be ruined well before time.

Cheers BB - Does that mean it runs better now?
I'd still pressure test and tune it.

They are tough saws - I really like mine - If you know how to do it, it starts easily without using the decomp valve and just runs and runs and runs.

A new rim call for a new chain or preferably pair of chains. If you run old chain on a new rim both will be ruined well before time.

I need to get some replacement hose before I can get it going.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the compression test. I gotta check out the tread you recommended and start to gather the parts.

Well if I'm gonna change the rim I might as well get a 3/8 because thats what I'm running anyways. I'll get a 404 so I can use the bar it came with.

I don't want to ask but i can't figure out what is the small lever on the muffler side right by the carb adjustment?

I need to get some replacement hose before I can get it going.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the compression test. I gotta check out the tread you recommended and start to gather the parts.

Well if I'm gonna change the rim I might as well get a 3/8 because thats what I'm running anyways. I'll get a 404 so I can use the bar it came with.

I don't want to ask but i can't figure out what is the small lever on the muffler side right by the carb adjustment?

Please ask - no worries.

That lever is the oil flow adjustment. There really is only one useful setting on the 076 at that is full on Max. The max oil flow for an 076 is 19 mL/min which is too little for most milling over about 18" and why they really do need an auxiliary oiler/

Please ask - no worries.

That lever is the oil flow adjustment. There really is only one useful setting on the 076 at that is full on Max. The max oil flow for an 076 is 19 mL/min which is too little for most milling over about 18" and why they really do need an auxiliary oiler/

I was typing a thank you and you answered before I could even post it. I found an old thread that you answered the exact same question. I plan on using an auxiliary oiler so it shouldn't be a problem. Who would have known they would put a lever instead of a little screw under the saw. Are we going forward or backwards with saw design?

Thanks for the info BobL.

I was typing a thank you and you answered before I could even post it. I found an old thread that you answered the exact same question. I plan on using an auxiliary oiler so it shouldn't be a problem. Who would have known they would put a lever instead of a little screw under the saw. Are we going forward or backwards with saw design?

Thanks for the info BobL.

No worries. ,The reason they changed away from the lever to screw was apparently levers get knocked but I have never had any trouble with the lever on my 076.

Well my 076 lives. I changed both the fuel lines to the new type that are supposed to handle the ethanol. I put it back together and walked down to my wood pile. I cut up some firewood for a few minutes and I'm pretty impressed with the saw.

My saw shop had the rims with the oil pump cutouts. I picked up a 3/8 and a 404. I didn't ask about that tool to take the clutch off, but i figure I'll make one.

I'm gonna do the pressure test but didn't get all the parts together yet.

Not a bad saw for $200US The guy i got it from actually had it in his kitchen. I know he took care of it. I wish I had a picture of that big saw next to 3 Husky 455 Ranchers. Did I mention he wasn't married.

thanks guys you just helped me without knowing it , i was just reading through this thread and thought i better go check mine .
i am getting an 076 ready for milling and i have got all the bits to change it to 3/8 from a guy here in oz anyway went up to the shed and checked out the rim sprocket and it never had the little cut outs to slide over the oil pump drive , but it has now i fixed her with me trusty dremel and it can now slide unimpeded .also had to shorten the chains they were supplied to long for the 50 inch bar but all is good now . all i have left to do is rig up an aux oiler and i am ready to go .
i did have the clutch let go and exit through the side cover but i have that sorted now .

I know I've heard mention of a mythical angled gas filleradapter for the 076. I've tried google and ebay to no avail. Does anyone have any clues to where I might find one.

I know I've heard mention of a mythical angled gas filleradapter for the 076. I've tried google and ebay to no avail. Does anyone have any clues to where I might find one.

The filler adapter were made specifically for the TS760 cut off saw. I have seen several on ebay over the last few years so they are still around. I would also ask businesses that deal with cutoff saws like
http://dhsequipment.homestead.com/HOME.html

The filler adapter were made specifically for the TS760 cut off saw. I have seen several on ebay over the last few years so they are still around. I would also ask businesses that deal with cutoff saws like
http://dhsequipment.homestead.com/HOME.html

Thanks for the info BobL. I sent them an email. I've been looking on ebay but haven't seen one. I was searching for the wrong saw. duh. I sent an email to Dhs. If they have anything I'll let you know.

I will revive this old thread as I have purchased an 076 and 051 and will basically weigh any thought of swapping over to 3/8 from 404 based on the info presented here. The whole " does the new rim sprocket clear the oiler parts or if there are 2 different rim sprockets or whatever, sure leads to areas of confusion that must be accounted for to get the swap to 3/8 done so it functions properly.

As this thread is old, all semblance of pictures is gone. It would be nice to have the areas of concern displayed in pictures again.

Latest posts

Back