Stihl 084 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamar_3704

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm new to this site so I'm not quite sure how it all works. I recently bought a stihl 084 from a nearby saw shop. The saw checked out nicely as far as piston, cylinder and compression. I was told that it needed an ignition, I figured its no big deal, the rest of the saw is in great shape. But after replacing the ignition I still have no spark. The switch and wires are all in good condition. I cant figure this one out.

I am thinking for some reason or another that the saw have a couple different coils to chose from. I am not infront of an IPL right now. Also you will need to check the flywheel key and make sure it is not sheared. That should be a start. :greenchainsaw:

Is the gap set right? I use a bussiness card...

Does the coil have a good ground?

This should be obivous but is the flywheel spining on the crank, like not turning?

Plug wire good?

Depending on the age of the saw, the coil has a lifetime warranty as long as it was purchased 7/1/86 or newer. I just got warranty on a coil on a 15 year old 026.

Inspect the entire length of both kill switch wires for insulation wear. Mine had it bad! I either had to replace the wires, or heat shrink over the old insulation (which is what I did).

The flywheel is definately still in tact with the crank. I have also checked and cleaned the kill switch contacts. I also set the gap with a business card. The stihl dealer told me the coil I got is the only one that will work with this saw. I'm not sure the coil has a good ground but it is securly fastened in. It may be something I need to recheck. Any other ideas??

The kill switch wires are both good as well, there is no significant wear.

and.. there are different coils for the 084... the very early coil had an external trigger. Connect that to a newer coil and it won't work.

If you can spin a fw past the coil, the mount contact is clean, the HT wire is intact, and the ground wires isn't connected, it will make spark if the coil is any good.

BTW... you bought it with a bad ignition from the saw shop, then bought an ignition? :monkey:

Last edited:
It must either be a bad coil or just flat out the wrong one. Absolutely everything else checks out ok.

Yes I bought it knowing it needed a coil but I figured for only 200 bucks I couldn't go wrong. Spend up to 150 for a coil and have a great saw that cost me under 400 bucks. After all everything else on the saw is in great shape including the piston and cylinder. I'm originally a husqvarna man but it seems to be hard to find a 3120 at a reasonable price.

How do I find out the original purchase date of the saw to see if I can have the coil warranty'd??? That sounds like the way to go.

what i like to do in a situation like this, is find a saw that runs, a buddys, and swap the coil and see if yours fire if not the problem is something else.
good luck

Thanks for the help guys. I dont know anyone in these parts with a saw this size but if I come across one I'll see if I can rob the coil for a trial run. Thanks

working on an 084 myself

Check the clearence of the coil to the flywheel. I used a business card on my 021 when the coil went bad. the new coil was not instaled properly at first and i had no spark.

Well I got the saw running not long after posting my last comment. I must've had the gap adjusted wrong cause all I did was took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together and it magically had spark. Very exciting moment.

Latest posts

Back