Stihl 088, .404 or 3/8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do run 3/8" better make sure it is 0.063" gauge and not 0.050" I think 088 will eat up that thinner gauge stuff. Might depend what you are doing. If you're milling, it would certainly be beneficial to switch to 3/8" for the smaller kerf. However, .404" chain is much more durable and will take a lot of abuse. And in certain cutting situations, the wider kerf might be to your advantage. But check and see if that roll of 3/8ths is .063 or .050

Answers to all your questions... I use .063 only. This saw is both for milling and felling. I know that 24" bar is too short but it's the one I have to do some testing (it actually was on a Contra parts saw). I want to decide witch pitch before ordering a 36" bar.

Answers to all your questions... I use .063 only. This saw is both for milling and felling. I know that 24" bar is too short but it's the one I have to do some testing (it actually was on a Contra parts saw). I want to decide witch pitch before ordering a 36" bar.

Get a hard nose bar and switch between the two and see which one you like better, just have to change out the rim.

Back