Stihl 08s..shall I buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzbukk

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a used chainsaw for cutting logs for woodburning some well over the 12" diameter. I have considered by reading posts and having used a Stihl 260 previously fo a couple of days which saws might do the job. I have written off some of the smaller models like the 171's etc with maybe a miniumum of an old 023. Anyway the saws that have caught my attention on the used market is the Stihl 08s and 028. I have the opportunity to get an old 08s in good working order so my question is what is the general opinion of this saw for my needs ?

get a saw bigger than you think you will ever need an old 036 would be good. if you are buying a smaller saw that will often see its limits in wood you will end up wanting a larger saw. small saws are great for limming and trimming but will get a work out with constant bucking of 12" or larger timber pretty soon cad will set in and you will have a whole shelf of saws

I take it cad is chainsaw addiction disorder:greenchainsaw:......I don't even own one yet and I have driven myself nuts looking up specs etc. I can see what you mean with the size of saw. I was advised when considering a 171 that this was too small a saw and would struggle. How about a Stihl 028 would that be up to the job ?

Anything will work LOL it's just how much do u wanna work. I used a craftsman 36cc with a 16" bar for 5 years and cut at least 10-12 cords up to 25" which was a pain but I did it. But now that I got my 460 and I want to get a 260 also so I never have to work my tail off cutting wood again.

The 08s is strong running saw but a little on the heavy side. Parts can be a little difficult to find but mine has held up fine for 35+ years - and it was used when I got it.

I put foam bicycle handle bar grips on mine to reduce some of the vibes.

I take it cad is chainsaw addiction disorder:greenchainsaw:......I don't even own one yet and I have driven myself nuts looking up specs etc. I can see what you mean with the size of saw. I was advised when considering a 171 that this was too small a saw and would struggle. How about a Stihl 028 would that be up to the job ?

the 028 is a good saw they run forever but i was never super impressed with the power or speed i am pretty sure it is a homeowner saw if your funds allow I would try to find a nice used pro saw in the 60cc range such as stihl 036, ms361, ms362 makita/dolmar 6401 or husky 261, 262, 61, 62 etc. check the trading post and you should be able to find some good deals on some mid size pro saws just my .02 but im trying to steer you in the right direction as this is your first saw...at least you are on the right path with stihl most people would go to walmart and buy a wildthing or woodshark. If you have anymore questions or want anymore advice feel free to ask..oh and I absolutely love my ms361 if you get one I expect ear to ear grin

the 028 is a good saw they run forever but i was never super impressed with the power or speed i am pretty sure it is a homeowner saw if your funds allow I would try to find a nice used pro saw in the 60cc range such as stihl 036, ms361, ms362 makita/dolmar 6401 or husky 261, 262, 61, 62 etc. check the trading post and you should be able to find some good deals on some mid size pro saws just my .02 but im trying to steer you in the right direction as this is your first saw...at least you are on the right path with stihl most people would go to walmart and buy a wildthing or woodshark. If you have anymore questions or want anymore advice feel free to ask..oh and I absolutely love my ms361 if you get one I expect ear to ear grin

Sound advice! +1

Dealer support

I would strongly recommend you ask around for a quality dealer first, then find the saw that you like from the line they service. There are many great saws....

Latest posts

Back