Stihl 090 and GB Mill barn-find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmloos

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to the site. I thought I'd share a story about how I got my new saw...

I have been looking at putting together an Alaskan mill setup to do some slabbing. I wanted a Stihl 090 but couldn't bring myself to pay the inflated prices I was finding. So I started to look for a good used MS880.

At a Superbowl party, I was chatting with a friend about firewood and saws. He burns a lot of wood like me but he isn't in to the saws so much as the exercise and flames. They had recently moved and he told me that that the elderly gentleman who sold them the house had left all of the equipment including three old Stihl chainsaws. He said one of the chains was "huge".

I said I'd like to check them out just for fun. I really didn't think they were going to be anything special. Huge is a relative term and figured it was a 24" chain or something.

When I went over there, the first two saws were older electronic ignition models. I don't even remember which ones. Then we stepped in to the shed.

Sitting in the corner was an 090. I played it cool. He began to dig something out of the other corner which turned out to be an older 48" Granberg Mill. I about had a heart attack.

I told him that I'd been looking for this exact combination and asked if he wanted to sell them. He said just take them. I said, dude this stuff is worth some money, I can't just take them. He didn't want any money but the shed we were standing in had a leaky roof so I said, how about I help you put a new roof on the shed? Deal.

So, I am acting like a teenager on my first date.

The 090 is in pretty good cosmetic shape. No fins broken on the recoil housing. It is missing the dogs and the full wrap handlebar is broken. It has spark and seems to have good compression. That's all I know as of now. I'm thinking of cleaning it up really well, rebuilding the carb, and trying to start it.

Anyone know where I can't find an OEM full wrap handlebar?

IMG_20170218_143520009.jpg IMG_20170218_143528441.jpg IMG_20170218_143535958.jpg IMG_20170218_143602517_HDR.jpg IMG_20170218_143646929_HDR.jpg IMG_20170218_143656880_HDR.jpg IMG_20170218_143241035_HDR.jpg IMG_20170218_143723514_HDR.jpg IMG_20170218_143833361.jpg IMG_20170218_143116132.jpg

Here's the level of suckage in the op illustrated another way.

elastec_drumit_with_truck__large.jpg

what ever you do be careful crossing the streets for you have used up your good luck allowance for a while. I would give my eye teeth (which I do not have any longer) for one of those and I do not know why because I can not hold out very long running an 026.
One piece of advice, tear the saw down and do a through cleaning, vacuum and pressure check and check anything that could cause a problem before you run it. Good luck with the saw. Tom

:baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba:please please please do a pressure and vac test. i would still regasket the whole saw just to cover my but. been sitting out in the elements and not running. dont want you to burn up a damn good saw. i want it in perfect condition for when you give it to me for being a friend lmfao :cool::p:numberone:

:baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba::baba:please please please do a pressure and vac test. i would still regasket the whole saw just to cover my but. been sitting out in the elements and not running. dont want you to burn up a damn good saw. i want it in perfect condition for when you give it to me for being a friend lmfao :cool::p:numberone:

I would not be opposed to a full teardown and regasketting. Is there a shop manual with enough detail available to walk me through all of the steps so I don't break anything? What special tools would I need? Can I still buy OEM gaskets from Stihl?

I would not be opposed to a full teardown and regasketting. Is there a shop manual with enough detail available to walk me through all of the steps so I don't break anything? What special tools would I need? Can I still buy OEM gaskets from Stihl?

check inbox i sent the manual

Nice find! Milling is the hardest duty that a chainsaw can do. You would be well advised to replace the gaskets and seals, probably the bearings, kit the carb, rebuild the recoil, and so on before you start. Basically you need to tear the unit down and replace all the wear parts. If you dont do this work now, the saw will probably break down in the middle of a job and cost you more. Consider that those springs, seals and gaskets are 20 years old maybe more. You can make your own tools, just ask if you need help.

Someone mentioned they sent you the service manual. If you need the parts schematic send me an email address and Ill forward it. Ive got the old 070-090-090g service book in pdf, if you want a copy of that one just let me know.

Rupedog has a thread up about a non running HVA T540, I would ask Mike about those handle parts while he is around, maybe he can help you find what you need? Alot of the older 090 stuff is out his way. Good luck with the project.

Latest posts

Back