Stihl 090 Availability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in the Amazon region of Brazil in 2013 and 2014 and looked hard for any 090 chainsaws and was told by more than one dealer they weren't available.

I was told by a German subcontractor engaged in clearing land for an airstrip somewhere in Africa (Congo Delta, I believe) that the local supplier (NOT a Stihl dealer!!) had some in their warehouse 2 years ago or so.
I haven't seen them myself, though. But I believe the guy, he knows his chainsaws.

Funny again.Just had a dealer in Lancaster call and talk yesterday he's looking for some 1/2" chain for their 090G .Made it sound like 2 or 3 between his friend and brother.Told him to come here so we'll see.Dave

I have a friend that runs used tool store. He called me because a 090G with a 7' bar came in. It is in my garage now.

The saw was rode hard and put away wet but it has plenty of compression and should be a runner. The hunt is on for parts.

The bar has a helper handle and 1/2" pitch chain. There's life left in the chain but not much. I was glad to get the saw.

I have a friend that runs used tool store. He called me because a 090G with a 7' bar came in. It is in my garage now.

The saw was rode hard and put away wet but it has plenty of compression and should be a runner. The hunt is on for parts.

The bar has a helper handle and 1/2" pitch chain. There's life left in the chain but not much. I was glad to get the saw.

Good luck - those are awesome saws! Some parts are nearly impossible to find, so depending on what you need you might have to be very patient...

Good luck - those are awesome saws! Some parts are nearly impossible to find, so depending on what you need you might have to be very patient...

Yeah, I know. It will be a labor of love to get this one back together. I still can't believe I have it. The amazing thing is my wife was with me when I bought it. I didn't know what the price was and when I found out it was several times more than the most I had paid for a used saw. She told me to get it with no resistance.

The Stihl 070 is sometimes easier to come by and can be transformed into an 090 with a bit of parts swapping. The power of the 090 can be easily achieved just with the cylinder kit but the 090 has a beefier clutch assembly made of unobtanium, a handle that has additional bracing and so forth. The 090G and the 070 share the same engine, while the non geared 090 has more cubes. The 070 at 106cc is respectable in its own right. I have an ugly 070 that neither the seller or myself knew what it was when I purchased it at a flea market but it was big and ran so I went for it. I've used it a bit in my tree service with the 41" bar I adapted for it but mostly it's just a toy and conversation piece. Most people that are coming to buy a Stihl farm boss from me marvel at the sheer size of it. I couldn't replace it with a more modern saw for what its worth so I just keep it for those rare monster trees. It's the big boy in the pic below snapped at a tree job site. The other saws are Stihl MS660, 044, 039, 026 and 019T with an HT101 pole saw in the background. I used all of the saws on this job except for the 019T. I wound up not climbing it.

upload_2014-12-25_10-50-41.jpeg

I sure love mine, the torque and power of that thing is unreal! Milling with a 090 is impressive too.
Indeed they are rare and pricy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 25
Its worth it to pay the $100 - $125 for a decent aftermarket 66mm piston and jug. No comparison between a 090 and an 088. Of course one weighs almost a third more as well and the non AV models are harsh.

Did you get the runnability issue sorted out?
Not yet. Worked on it and thought it was the fuel line but that checked out. I'm going to try opening the H screw as it was only out about half a turn and see what happens. Otherwise, it's probably the carb as it's starving for fuel... Just haven't given it any attention...

When I got my 090 about 2 years ago I found all the parts to do a major tune up in local shops around the Bay area in CA. I could never get it to run just right so I regrettingly bought one of those $25 Chinese carbs and it now kicks but! I can sometimes get it to start cold on one pull if I can get to the choke in time. One of the adjustment screws was hard to get to on the new carb but once it was dialed in it didn't matter much. I love bucking big rounds with it because the chain seems to never go dull. My 660 dulls it's chain much faster. I also pinned the governor to let it rev the highest without actually removing it. It was previously used on a mill to they had it set to choke it out way early when not under load. Good luck with the best saw to use on flat ground and within 20 feet of your truck!

Back