Stihl 260 vs Husky 351/55 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sting

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stihl 260 vs Husky 351/55 Rancher - GO TO PAGE 2!

OK guys, after some deliberating, research and talking to some friends, I've narrowed my new chainsaw field down to 3 saws:

ALL PRICES IN CANADIAN FUNDS!

Stihl 260, at $569, current promotion, case, spare chain, hat (dealer said this is about a $70-80 value)

Husky 351, at $499.90 (sale price, regular $706)

Husky 55 Rancher, at 539.90 (sale price, regular $689)

Both dealers have been in business in my town for some time, and are both well regarded.

I did look at some of the others that were mentioned in my previous post, but with a lack of nearby dealers, I've kept my choices between Stihl and Husqvarna.

So, amongst these three saws, what would your pick be?

Last edited:
the 026 would be my recommend ,of the saws u mentioned.
one question. every stihl dealer ,i know in this area but one, also sells husquevarna.is this just my area or is this pretty much all over the country. just curious.

Do you really want to buy locally? those prices can be beat by quite a bit on the net....Any service issues that arise, any reputable dealer should take care of you whether you bought from him or not.

Border problems are surmountable...

Hi Roger, after converting CDN to real dollars, the only price that seems out of line would be the Rancher at about $348. I`ve got the MS260 figured at about $370 USD and the 351 at about $321. Can you beat these prices somewhere else? I`d be curious to know since these prices are in line with my local pricing.

Sting, this is going to be out of character for me, but I am going to recommend the Stihl MS260 as the best value from the numbers you listed. Next I would opt for the 351, not that there is anything at all wrong with the Rancher, just that the 351 has some more modern features. You know what I say in a case like this normally, since the choices are so close, buy one of each! Russ

I found the 351 at $302, the 55 at $282, and the 346XP at 331.

The 346XP is the best saw out of the four, for sure, but sting doesn't seem to be considering it.

Personally, I'd go for the Efco 962C or JD 62 for about $390, but local dealer support is non existant. 4.7 hp versus 3.2 to 3.6 for allthe others......

I like my 351, excellent saw with newer features than the 55R and nearly a pound lighter. I opened up the little 3/8" exhaust port it had and now it's even better. It's my go-to saw for small stuff.

I've got an 026 and it's a very reliable saw. I have run a Husky 351 and it IS faster than my 026 not a big enough difference to make me switch. The case and other "extras" make the MS260 the standout choice at the moment.

55 Rancher

i've owned one for about a year and am only marginally satisfied with it. It's a decent saw, and the price is right, if your going to cut fire wood. if your going to use it commercially it won't hold up and its performnce is only fair. I've used 026/260's at work, and there is no comparison. If you buy cheap you will buy twice!

This is a little surprising to me. I've run a friend's 026 some and found it only a little better cutter than my Husky 350, which is commonly considered the little brother to the 55 Rancher. I've never run a 55, but figured if my 350 cut almost as good as an 026, then a 55 should outrun one.

id have to agree with rbtree on this one for sure 346xp is about the same price as a 351 and its a little screamer definately faster than any of the saws you mentioned. Next would be the MS260. After that the 351 and then the 55 rancher very close together.

Somewhat puzzled about lync's post, 55 rancher has a really good reputation for being an extremely strong saw for the money, it does come with 3/8" chain though did you compare it to a saw running .325? makes for a hell of a difference in cutting speed...

I cleared for some powerlines yesterday with my 2149 G with a 3/8", 18 " bar. A friend had a new 026 there as well and he came away in total disbelief. The 2149 wails just like RB's 346 XPG. My 2149 also handily dispatched my Dad's new Husky 350 through a 10 inch pine (5 seconds versus 7 seconds). Now I know that the 026 is a good saw as are the others, but none can compare with a tweaked 3 cube lil monster.

Re: 55 Rancher

Originally posted by lync
i've owned one for about a year and am only marginally satisfied with it. It's a decent saw, and the price is right, if your going to cut fire wood. if your going to use it commercially it won't hold up and its performnce is only fair. I've used 026/260's at work, and there is no comparison. If you buy cheap you will buy twice!

I would be curious to hear the reasoning on this also. The 55 is NOT a cheaply built saw. The 260 is faster then a stock one but also $100 USD more also. Many, many professionals have used 55's and had very solid results.

For the prices listed way up top you should go for the MS260 even though it sounds like a weedwacker next to a Husky:D

OK, I need more REASONS!

Thanks for your input guys... I *REALLY* appreciate it! Now more questions:

It appears that there's roughly an even split between the Stihl folk and the Husky folk (I counted opinions in my two threads: 9 totally on side with the 260, and another 11 on the Husky side between three models, the 351 with 5 votes, the 55 Rancher with 4 votes, and the 346XP with 2 votes.)

Now we have to get down to nuts and bolts... I need pros and cons of these saws, OUTSIDE of price, as these saws are all priced competively at this moment with about $50 difference between highest and lowest. (BTW - I asked the Husky dealer about an extra chain and scabbard, as I don't *NEED* the case, and he said he'd throw them in for about $20, which then brings the price of the Rancher to $559, and the 351 to $519, I don't have a price on the 346XP, but I'll look into it)

So, what would be the pros/cons between these saws (the Stihl 260, and Huskys 3 - the 346XP, 351, and 55 Rancher).

The one thing I heard from one dealer outside of town, is that the anti-vibration mounts are different between Stihl and Husky - Stihl's are rubber, and Husky are spring mounted. This dealer said that eventually the Stihl mounts will give out faster, especially if they get exposed to gas/oil. Whaddya think???

Last edited:
I have never had a problem with gas/oil affecting rubber A/V mounts. This is a myth perpetuated by people who constantly force their saws of are unable to sharpen a chain to cut straight. Constant binding/pulling/yanking of a Stihl will weaken and eventually tear the rubber mounts. If you run a marginally sharp chain until it won't cut any more, the Husky spring mounts will last longer. If you keep a razor sharp chain and let the saw glide through the cut, the rubber mounts will last for the life of the saw.

I had an 038Magnum I bought when I was 23 yrs old. I had to replace rubber mounts twice in the first 3 years I owned it. As I got better at running/maintaining saws, I ran that saw another 8 years and never had another problem with the rubber mounts.

Hello, I just wondered if theHusky 353 is available yet, It is said to be replacing the 351. It has a little more grunt to bring it closer to the 346 xp instead of a 350. Just a thought! Jonathan

husky 353?

I haven't heard of it, but I wouldn't think they'd be replacing the 351. I would expect them to be phasing out the 55, as it is an older design. I wonder if the 353 is 53cc as the 55 is.

346XP price

Got a price on a 346XP... $689... so that effectively puts that saw out of contention... so things still remain the same:

Either... a Stihl 260, or a Husky 351 or 55 Rancher.

Latest posts

Back