Stihl 261 or 362?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a new Stihl saw w/ 20" bar on it and am considering the 261 or the 362. We currently have similar saws (260 Pro and 361) and like them both very much. This saw will be used for ground work - limbing & cutting up downed trees w/ some small/mid-size stump flush cutting. Any pros/cons to either saw is much appreciated.

Or... should I be looking at a comparable size Husky?

Last edited:
I have both the 260, 361 and the 261, 362 combo. I like them all but as to your specific question for full time 20" bar use I would go with the 362. I think the 362 has better torque and a wider power band than the 361 in my experience. The 361 is great but she has to scream to do good.

Steve

I would go with the 362. Especially if you think you are going to do full bar cuts with a 20 inch bar.

agreed! i run a 260 pro and she is a horse for what she is.. but i don't like putting her in anything over 16 but will cut close to 18 because i have an 18 inch bar. I had an 036 w/ an 18 and 20 inch bar and it was plenty of saw to pull 20" worth of bar. I'd go with the 361 or 362 whichever you can afford

coolbrze I know you didn't ask, but considering you already have a 361 and you want to do some stump work. I'd consider stepping up to a 70cc or 80cc saw, you'll thank me if you do. A good 70cc saw is just so much productive than a 60cc saw in 20" wood.

I'll go against the trend here and say the 261 in your stated case. You describe mostly doing limbing. The smaller, lighter 261 would handle better, and have plenty of power for that. You already have the 361 to handle the occasional stump that is too much for the 261. If you keep the 361, there is no point in getting a 362. Plus, getting the 261 sets you up for a much better combination with a 70cc saw in the future.

I would look for another 361. If you can't find one then the 362 will do. They have real good power with a muffler mod. A little more than a 361. I only ran one once and it was near new and it was pretty impressive. I hear it takes quite a few tanks to break em in too.
I really don't see a need for 70cc saw for the work you described. If it aint a 440 then it weighs too much IMO. A muff modded 361 will run with most 70cc saws anyways.
I would agree that a 70cc saw is more productive in 20" wood if that was all you were using it for but from the description of the work you're doing the only thing a 70cc saw will give you more of is weight.

Last edited:
im confused you have 361 and 260 and you want to buy either 261 oe 362.

is this for tree crew or something? do you need more saws for more employess. or is this just a want purchase.

i personaly in 20" andsmaller wood will grab my 026 that has a 18" bar. it doesnt botther me to put this saw in wood pat the the tip all day long. its beast and light weight and will in my opion work with most 60cc saws and not be behind by much at the end of the day. it cost less i bought it used for 300 something bucks and just love the crud out of it. i hae 60cc saws that stay at home and this 026 goes with me everytime out.

Looking to purchase a new Stihl saw w/ 20" bar on it and am considering the 261 or the 362. We currently have similar saws (260 Pro and 361) and like them both very much. This saw will be used for ground work - limbing & cutting up downed trees w/ some small/mid-size stump flush cutting. Any pros/cons to either saw is much appreciated.

Or... should I be looking at a comparable size Husky?

I think the 261 would make you happier than 260.
The 362 won`t compared to the 361.
for 20" b/c maybe you wanna try find a new 361
just my 0.02$

Back