Stihl 290 or Husky 455

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl 290 or Husky 455

• Total voters
yeah, i know this thread is two years old, but i just found this place tonight.

I pieced my 290 together from three scrapped ones five years ago, and i've cut well over a hundred cord of firewood since then. The only thing i've ever had to replace - other than the occasional bar, chain, and sprocket - was the fuel line this summer. There's only one husky i've ever used that even comes close to how my stihl runs, and that husky was a behemoth with a 36" bar. For being that much bigger than my stihl, it should have cut circles around it - but it didn't.

For a small non-pro grade saw, my 290 is a serious workhorse. The only saw i've used that i'd rather own was the stihl 460 magnum.

doh!!

For being that much bigger than my Stihl, it should have cut circles around it - but it didn't.

Yep, if the big saw was an older model (read low rpm) and you were comparing it in wood of the size that the 290 was comfortable in, the 290 should outpace it. Put it in a 36" piece of oak, and the story would reverse itself. I had a Stihl 076 which was a 111cc monster with a 36" bar, but in 16" wood, a good 290 would probably keep up fine.

Ian

Well 290's are awesome! thats all i can say. I have one that i have owned for 7 years that has cut nearly 100 cords a year its hole life and the only thing that has happened was a fuel line. I did mod the muffler when it was brand new. I know that it isnt a torque monster but for firewood where you try to stay away form huge trees anyway it is the way to go. You can get a bar and chain anywhere to fit these saws. They will last forever if you have a clue on what you are doing running one. but that is just my two cents worth.

Yep, if the big saw was an older model (read low rpm) and you were comparing it in wood of the size that the 290 was comfortable in, the 290 should outpace it. Put it in a 36" piece of oak, and the story would reverse itself. I had a Stihl 076 which was a 111cc monster with a 36" bar, but in 16" wood, a good 290 would probably keep up fine.

Ian

Yeah, but I'm talking a piece of oak that was big enough my 290 wouldn't poke out the other side. Not quite what I would consider it being comfortable in.

Latest posts

Back