Stihl 361 Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I believe that mixing synthetic oil with the liquid nitrogen was the mistake. The synth maintains it`s viscosity at the temperature of the nitrogen whereas regular dino oil forms tiny beads of frozen oil when blended. The resultant mixture forms a compound similar in nature to Slick 50.

The nitrogen becomes the vehicle to carry the oil pellets which then get mashed into the bar rails and chain components providing a bearing surface similar to teflon.

Another problem that came to light during Xander`s testing of the liquid nitrogen lube is that several racoon were stunned with a brain freeze and were not able to escape the path of his super sharp blade, resulting in their departure from this world. Half of all Californians wrote letters to the President demanding that this environmentally offensive testing stop immediately!

Skoal!

Russ

Um, Windsor bars are not Oregon bars with a different name. Yes Blount owns both Oregon and Windsor, but each manufactures it's own products. The Windsor factory is in Milan Tennesee. The Windsor bars use more rivets in the nose, and are a higher quality bar, IMHO. I can't stand Oregon chains (it's too soft), but I like the Windsor chain. As for bars, I've only ever had one nose fail, and it was an Oregon bar. I'm having good luck with the Windsor products, and although there is some sharing of components, I feel the Windsor product is a notch up the quality ladder.

TonyM said:
Um, Windsor bars are not Oregon bars with a different name. Yes Blount owns both Oregon and Windsor, but each manufactures it's own products. The Windsor factory is in Milan Tennesee. The Windsor bars use more rivets in the nose, and are a higher quality bar, IMHO. I can't stand Oregon chains (it's too soft), but I like the Windsor chain. As for bars, I've only ever had one nose fail, and it was an Oregon bar. I'm having good luck with the Windsor products, and although there is some sharing of components, I feel the Windsor product is a notch up the quality ladder.
Windsor bars are no longer made in the USA. Iwas told they are made in the same plant that makes oregons in Canada.
I do know that the new Canadian made windsor bars suck.:angry:

Why are we still using bar oil at all? A simple coating of space age teflon, reinforced with a hi temp polymer would solve all the problems. A carbon reinforced material in the bar body with an air jet for cooling would make the chain almost frictionless. About $10,000 dollars per unit, but you could run a 42 inch bar on a 3 cube saw.

I think I have been looking at the street boss poster toooo long.

Ah, it is the chain that is made in Milan. I don't know where the bars are made. My biggest complaint with Windsor is that half of what I order ends up on back order, and bars that fit Stihls in .375 X .050 and .325 X .063 are especially hard to get. The big Stihl dealer here sells saws with either .375 X .050 or .325 X .063, so it is popular in these parts.

Ben,

What is it specifically that you believe isn't ".....even close quality wise now"?

And Tony, are you referring favorably to the Windsor bars made in the USA or Canada?

In need of a new electric carving saw, air compressor and about a dozen other tools & toys, I'm needing to watch my pennies right now. So, I have ruled out a Stihl bar in favor of the Oregon or Windsor. Being that Baileys told me the latter two were one of the same, I thought I'd purchase the less pricey Windsor. If there's a definate problem though, I'll rethink this.

Opinions or facts,... anyone?

Thanks,
r

Well, I really don't know where the Windsor bar I have on my saw was manufactured, but I have no real complaints about it. It is as good as any other bar I've run, but I don't really have enough time on every brand bar to make a quantitative comparison. When I get back to the shop, I will look at all the Windsor bars I have in stock and see where they were made. I assume they will say Made in Canada if they indeed are. The windsor bars certainly have a more rigid sprocket nose design, with more rivets both on the replaceable tip and laminated bars than Oregon does. Personally, I think the life of the bar is more directly tied to the sharpness of the chain than the manufacturer of the bar. Starting with and keeping a chain well sharpened takes a lot of load of the bar.

Rusty, I'd save money in the long run and get the Stihl bar now.

Tony, who's making .375 chain?

Glen

Don't start no poop, and there won't be any poop!

Do not question the integrity of either Glen or Ben, as they
are the head of the "Fisherized" Eager Beaver engineering
team, and I give full credit to them for my vast success in
the hotsaw sport of cutting up big, soft, logs.

Their revolutionary design ideas, that have made me the
Tiger Woods of the hotsaw sport, should not even be
questioned. And so, any of their opinions, and lengthy
explanations of even the most trivial phenomenoms {sp?},
should not even be questioned, so the next time they make a
post, that should be the end of the thread, end of story!!!

rustyb said:
Ben,

What is it specifically that you believe isn't ".....even close quality wise now"?

Thanks,
r

The rails are butter soft, the tip isnt the the Sandvik tip used on the made in the USA bars, and the paint comes off as soon at its used. One other thing I noticed is the fact that the sprocket has alot of slop in it after minimal use and that it allows the chain to ride along the tip causing excessive wear where as the old style tips didnt allow the chain to ride against the tip as hard.

Fish said:

and I give full credit to them for my vast success in

QUOTE]

Yer successful only cause no one else will even get close to them big, soft, logs. Even the guy that left it there for you left in a hurry.

WRW said:
Fish said:

and I give full credit to them for my vast success in

QUOTE]

Yer successful only cause no one else will even get close to them big, soft, logs. Even the guy that left it there for you left in a hurry.
I used to have a dog that liked them pretty well. . . He'd also stand beside the chute when we were castrating calves and wait, salivating, for the balls. . .

WRW said:
glens said:
Tony, who's making .375 chain?

Glen
If .375=3/8 (it does mathematically), then I'd say most manufacturers.
Hang a good, well-used loop on a nail, pull it snug to make sure all the rivets are in line.  Then hold a tape measure with 1" at the tip of a driver and look down to see what should be (if 3/8 chain were .375) 8-1/2" to the 10th driver tip, but is actually more like 8-3/8".  Then again to find a solid quarter inch short at 16".

For some reason, they're calling .367 nominal chain pitch 3/8.

Glen

Back