Stihl 361 Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spacemule

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
glens said:
They should fix that, then.
You seem to be saying that .375 isn't proper, but you don't seem to be bothered by 3/8ths. If we should change the .375 to .367, shouldn't we also change the 3/8ths to 367/1000ths to be accurate? I'd like to see the zit covered face on the counterboy when you ask for 72 drivers of 367/1000ths . ha ha :)

glens

glens

Former Member
Crofter said:
glens said:
They should fix that, then.
Glen, It ain't broke!
http://www.baileys-online.com/WPsawchain.htm contains 40 "8"s but none of them are in conjunction with a "3" to form a fraction.&nbsp; They have many instances of ".370" and ".375", creating a distinction where there is none, and neither figure is correct.&nbsp; Exactly <i>what</i> ain't broke?

Glen

Crofter

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Glen, I may have sstarted this thing away back when with questioning the lack of difference in pitch between .370 Low Profile and nominal .375 or 3/8. That kind of innuendo strikes my fancy too. As for getting into a great useless harangue about how the manufacturers and retailers should change the designation to reflect mathematical exactitude, I think that is very unlikely to happen. To attempt to do so would exact far more confusion on users than now exists.
The present system works. If surgery to correct a blemish is going to leave a scar, I aint for it, so there! lol!

T_Bone

T_Bone

ArboristSite Lurker
Since were selling dogs, I have a black Lab I'll give away.

I was leaning against my wood pile admiring my new MS 361 when he hiked his leg and wizzed all over the handle.

Every time I started the saw he would run! geez I wonder why :)

Fish

Tree Freak
Careful now!
Threatening violence on a helpless animal, just because he doesn't happen
to like the newer Stihls, I'm sure is a violation of some kind.
This has been an educational thread that could achieve almost Walt
Galer type God-status. We can't go off topic and blemish this near perfect
thread.
By the way, what was the topic anyway?

jokers

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
Crofter said:
Glen, I may have sstarted this thing away back when with questioning the lack of difference in pitch between .370 Low Profile and nominal .375 or 3/8. That kind of innuendo strikes my fancy too. As for getting into a great useless harangue about how the manufacturers and retailers should change the designation to reflect mathematical exactitude, I think that is very unlikely to happen. To attempt to do so would exact far more confusion on users than now exists.
The present system works. If surgery to correct a blemish is going to leave a scar, I aint for it, so there! lol!

Hi Frank, I have to admit that I`m a bit vague on the final determinations made in the original thread, other than that the so called 3/8LP which is nominally referred to as .370 and the standard 3/8 which is nominally referred to as .375, seem to be interchangeable regarding pitch. Weren`t there however other differences regarding tang depth and the possibility that 3/8LP chain could be used on a 3/8 bar but a 3/8 chain may not work on a 3/8LP bar?

What does any of this have to do with the MS361? :dizzy:

Russ

TonyM

TonyM

ArboristSite Guru
Heck, I'm going to start calling .325" pitch chains nominal 5/16" just for the fun of it. That's off by not even twice the difference between 3/8" and .367" We can stretch things that far.

xander9727

xander9727

The Silverback
I'm just refer to them as little, medium, big, bigger and biggest. As far as the driver width they'll be skinny, normal, chubby and fat. Are there more pressing issues than this? I think it's time we resurect the semantics and technicalities thread.

Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
Why do we even have 11/32nds chain anyway. If we have 3/8ths and 3/8ths low profile why didn't the manufacturers just make 3/8ths medium profile? Then we could run medium or low on little saws and regular or medium on bigger saws. There isn't much difference in tooth size between 3/8ths and .404-so scrap .404 and make 3/8ths mongo. Now Rufus the Doofus can put Mongo chain on his old Homelite Xl and either shear the flywheel key when he touchs chain to wood or saw grooves in the saw's case 'cause there wasn't enough clearance for Mongo.

I think that to satisfy Glen and avoid confusion the makers/retailers should immediately relable all 3/8ths chains as 74.57 gnat's eye pitch.

Latest posts