Stihl 440/044 vs Husky 372 vs Dolmar 7300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetdeck

Reaction score
So, I have recently been searching for a used Stihl 044/MS440 or a Husky 372. During my time off I cut and sell some fire wood (Nothing crazy, just enough to earn me some funny money), and do some clearing, landscaping, and tree care work on the side. I have a Stihl 036 which I am very happy with, and a 015L which is really old, but still runs like a champ. I'm looking for a slightly larger saw in the ~70cc range just so I can dig into some bigger trees, or save myself some bending over when I'm bucking. I work for the Forest Service and have been running Stihl 044/440 and Husky 372 saws in wildland firefighting use for some time, and so naturally those were my first two choices when looking for a saw. However, I did find that the Dolmar 7300 is comparable in power, and actually a little bit lighter, and less expensive. Most of the used 044/440 and 372 saws that I have found are going for almost as much a it would cost to pick up a new 7300 (without a bar/chain). I don't have the funds to buy myself a new Stihl or Husky, which is why I've been looking on the used market. How does the Dolmar compare to the Stihl and Husky saws? I've dug around on the forums here a little bit, but most of the threads are pretty old. So I was just looking for some more current insight.

I do know that Stihl builds long lasting saws. And husky builds some pretty good ones too. Dolmar is a saw I'm not all that familiar with, but I have seen them used and only ran one. 7900 is the only one I have ran and it will flat out boogey. Though I can't attest to the reliability part as I don't own one, I can tell you that they will cut wood and cut it fast and are also light for the power, which may be good or bad depending how yuo look at it.
I would go with a 7900 if I chose a Dolmar though. Skip the 7300.

Just search on here for dolmar 7900 and read about it. I think if you took the stickers off of a 7300 and 7900 and with a 24" bar you couldn't tell the difference. The dealer I bought a 7900 from had both. I ran both and ended up buying the 7900 as he give me a killer deal on it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 7300 if it fits your budget and you have a dealer nearby.

I'd go Stihl or Husky.

Dealers are a hell of a lot easier to find than Dilmar dealers.

I have the 372, 046 and 7900. I do like them all but If they were all stolen tonight, I would buy another 7900 before lunch tomorrow. The 7900 is still relatively new to me so I cannot speak to the durability of Dolmar but they are well built and quite a few here seem to get a lot of hours from them with few problems. Tons of saw for the money.

if you promise to leave the garage open tonight...............

I have the 372, 046 and 7900. I do like them all but If they were all stolen tonight, I would buy another 7900 before lunch tomorrow. The 7900 is still relatively new to me so I cannot speak to the durability of Dolmar but they are well built and quite a few here seem to get a lot of hours from them with few problems. Tons of saw for the money.

I promise to leave the 7900.:greenchainsaw:

Although some people question the reliability of Dolmar there is absolutely no reason to do so. They are using quality parts (probably more so than Stihl). There "may" be an argument that if run over, hit with a sledge hammer, or have a rogue comit land on your saw at 20,000mph that the Stihl "may" pull through better than a 7900 as far as "toughness" is concerned. However the Dolmar's reliability should not be in question at all.

Although some people question the reliability of Dolmar there is absolutely no reason to do so. They are using quality parts (probably more so than Stihl). There "may" be an argument that if run over, hit with a sledge hammer, or have a rogue comit land on your saw at 20,000mph that the Stihl "may" pull through better than a 7900 as far as "toughness" is concerned. However the Dolmar's reliability should not be in question at all.

You're wasting your breath on the died in the wool Stihl heads Matt. ;)

I promise to leave the 7900.:greenchainsaw:

burglars usually aren't too bright........:laugh:

to the OP, if the the dolmar has to be the 7300, i think it is a toss up among the saws you listed. if you are willing to consider the 7900, then hands down it is the best choice. i have an 044 and it just sits in the shop wishing i would let it ride to the woods with the big boys.

... However, I did find that the Dolmar 7300 is comparable in power, and actually a little bit lighter, and less expensive. Most of the used 044/440 and 372 saws that I have found are going for almost as much a it would cost to pick up a new 7300 (without a bar/chain). I don't have the funds to buy myself a new Stihl or Husky, which is why I've been looking on the used market. How does the Dolmar compare to the Stihl and Husky saws? I've dug around on the forums here a little bit, but most of the threads are pretty old. So I was just looking for some more current insight.

They all are fine saws that will suit your needs.

Unlike what you stated, the Dolmar actually is the heaviest one - with a bit more power as well, but the differences are small!;)

They all are fine saws that will suit your needs.

Unlike what you stated, the Dolmar actually is the heaviest one - with a bit more power as well, but the differences are small!;)

IDK what the actual test numbers are for weight, but I would swear that the 7900 feels a smidge lighter than the 372 fully loaded? I might be nuts though.

If you can find a 7300 I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I love mine. I will admit, however, that it is staying in the truck more these days and getting quite jealous of the 7901 (to the OP, same saw as the 7900, just in Makita colors).

Latest posts

Back