Stihl 440/044 vs Husky 372 vs Dolmar 7300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What stock filter isn't crap with that petrified stuff youall cut down there???
Anything that is good for your conditions would be overkill in 99% of the rest of the world.

Yeah good point :cheers: but a lot of Aussies have been the ones complaining on this site.

I'd like to know just how many Dolmars have been toasted by sawdust getting past the filter.
I'd venture to say that it has been very few.

Mike

You may be right but anything going past the filter has to be bad for the saw. Hard to put your finger on but I wonder how many saws with dust (either wood and/or sand) ingression have been running 120psi compression after a few years instead of 160psi?

As far as the filtration goes it does depend a lot on the conditions you cut in. The standard, non-oiled 7900 filter is crap in my conditions, but the HD filter is top notch and one of the best (if not the best?) on the market.
But then I've got two 390XP's with the high top kits and their filters need to be oiled to keep wood dust out...

The HD alternative is pretty expensive - so there goes the price advantage....:biggrinbounce2:

Then, the saw still doesn't have anything like the "Air Injection"!

I admit that I never used a Dolmar in that series - but the filter gets dirty much faster on my 5100 than it does on any Husky - but it isn't a real problem here. It does on my MS361 as well, but that is a much larger filter, that also is faster to clean.

Last edited:
The HD alternative is pretty expensive - so there goes the price advantage....:biggrinbounce2:

I agree however some of the prices I've seen getting thrown around on this site for a new 7900 are a lot dearer than the place where I bought my first 7900 - Like USD$200 dearer (and that's his CURRENT price). Some of the pricing I've seen on here for a 7900 is what I bought my 390XP for...

Then, the saw still doesn't have anything like the "Air Injection"!

I admit that I never used a Dolmar in that series - but the filter gets dirty much faster on my 5100 than it does on any Husky - but it isn't a real problem here. It does on my MS361 asw well, but that is a much larger filter, that also is faster to clean.

Yeah I love my 5100-S but the filter certainly does load up fast. I carry 3 for it. There is no comparison between the lame 5100-S filter setup and the HD kit for the 6400-7900 saws. The Dolmar HD filter setup absolutely thumps the filters on my 390XP/XPG's which I think are air injected? The "air injection" name tag only excites me if it keeps Redgum dust at bay :D

What stock filter isn't crap with that petrified stuff youall cut down there???
Anything that is good for your conditions would be overkill in 99% of the rest of the world.

Mike

The 372 HD filters don't let anything through in our conditions, not even the aftermarket filter.

Overkill? Size maybe, but that's a good thing.

The 372 HD filters don't let anything through in our conditions, not even the aftermarket filter.

Overkill? Size maybe, but that's a good thing.

Is that a STOCK filter???
There are heavy duty filter kits available for a plethora of saws but I'm talking about the filter that is gonna be on the saw sitting on the shelf at the dealer.
The 7900 HD filter is reported to be as good as it gets, but they aren't installed from the factory.

Mike

HD filters aren't needed on Huskys here, nor are flocked ones - low-top mesh ones are more than good enough! :)

The only filters that I had a slight problem with are the flocked ones on the 5100S - they clog up a lot faster, and it takes a lot more effort to clean them.

Last edited:
Is that a STOCK filter???
There are heavy duty filter kits available for a plethora of saws but I'm talking about the filter that is gonna be on the saw sitting on the shelf at the dealer.
The 7900 HD filter is reported to be as good as it gets, but they aren't installed from the factory.

Mike

Yep, stock ones, on the dealers shelf.

I agree about the stock 372 HD filter system. The demand on the filtration system around here is nowhere near what it is in Australia, but the 372 system is far and away the best of any saw I have. The Dolmar HD kit seems real close though, just not near as big and not stock.

I'm getting ready to have my 660 ported. I will be sending it to Canada next weekend. Was told to expect a 50-75% power increase. So I guess I'll have a 660 with 10.5-12hp! :clap:

Sorry to break it to you my friend, but you will be very dissapointed if you are banking on those numbers. Just a fair warning. It is impossible with a 660- I don't care if GOD himself is modding it.

They have a KILLER dragstrip in that complex.
Went to an awesome Mopar meet there a few years back!

Mike

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm getting ready to have my 660 ported. I will be sending it to Canada next weekend. Was told to expect a 50-75% power increase. So I guess I'll have a 660 with 10.5-12hp! :clap:

I know big Dave can work miracles on a stock 660, at least from what I've heard. A 75% gain? Does Simmon mod Stihls now?
Seriously, keep us posted on that project.:cheers:

I know big Dave can work miracles on a stock 660, at least from what I've heard. A 75% gain? Does Simmon mod Stihls now?
Seriously, keep us posted on that project.:cheers:

I will bet it's over 50%, where that saw is going, it will be right to a "T" when it comes back.:cheers:

Back