Stihl 440/044 vs Husky 372 vs Dolmar 7300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IDK what the actual test numbers are for weight, but I would swear that the 7900 feels a smidge lighter than the 372 fully loaded? I might be nuts though.

Could be the balance of the two saws that make them feel different to you.

I think balance has alot to do with the felt weight of any saw. And the 7900 is balanced very well.

Your question may come down to how soon you need it. A good used 044 or 372 at a reasonable price is hard to find. I would buy either one and consider myself fortunate. My work saw is a 7900. It is a very smooth beast with gobs of power, but if I had to choose one saw for all-around power, weight and handling, it would be the 044/440.

Go get 'em

Jetdeck, if you look on the Reno/Tahoe Craigslist listings for chainsaws and chain saws, there's a Stihl MS440 for $480 in Sacto right now and a Husky 372XP for $475 in South Lake.

Good luck and good hunting.

Olyeller

this one is................

burglars usually aren't too bright........:laugh:

to the OP, if the the dolmar has to be the 7300, i think it is a toss up among the saws you listed. if you are willing to consider the 7900, then hands down it is the best choice. i have an 044 and it just sits in the shop wishing i would let it ride to the woods with the big boys.

I had a 7900.sold it and got a 390xp

I had a 7900.sold it and got a 390xp

Well :censored:, I guess that settles it. Nobody should own one cause they are a POS. I just wish you would have let me know before I bought one and figured out that it is an unbelievable value of a stock saw. Just think, I could have never had the pleasure of owning one if I would have only talked to you first.
:hmm3grin2orange:

390's are indeed very nice saws, but they are a step up in weight and cost with a relatively small gain in power. the 7900 just hits the perfect blend of power, durability, weight and cost. now, if they could just get a better dealer network..............

There's quite a bit of difference in power with longer bars with a 7900 and 390. If you only run bars 24" or shorter then there is no real need in a 90 cc saw. The price is a decent difference. The weight isn't that bad. The handle spacing for me makes up for the weight with the saw not being nose heavy with a 28" or 32". I've had both of the saws with half wrap and full wrap handles.

390's are indeed very nice saws, but they are a step up in weight and cost with a relatively small gain in power. the 7900 just hits the perfect blend of power, durability, weight and cost. now, if they could just get a better dealer network..............

Yeah they are that next step up in price for sure. I haven't actually noticed any real weight or increase in fatigue after using a 390 all day instead of a 7900 but in the hand or on scales you do notice the weight. The 7900's are still an exceptional saw for the price, particularly with the HD filter kit. With similar mods though the 390's lay an absolute whooping on the 7900's.

Yeah they are that next step up in price for sure. I haven't actually noticed any real weight or increase in fatigue after using a 390 all day instead of a 7900 but in the hand or on scales you do notice the weight. The 7900's are still an exceptional saw for the price, particularly with the HD filter kit. With similar mods though the 390's lay an absolute whooping on the 7900's.

As it should with the extra cc's, just like a 372 or 440/441 and even a 460 can't really compete with a 7900, it's really half a class above.

Should be interesting when Dolmar/Makita introduce (I hope) a new 90cc saw to replace the soon to be discontinued PS9010.

Put down the 371/72 and pick up the 385/90 and you notice a difference in weight and size, but as Matt has stated the 390 you can use all day without issue. I've used the 385 over a period of something like a month without picking up the 371 and in use never found the 385 tiring.

As it should with the extra cc's, just like a 372 or 440/441 and even a 460 can't really compete with a 7900, it's really half a class above.

Should be interesting when Dolmar/Makita introduce (I hope) a new 90cc saw to replace the soon to be discontinued PS9010.

Yeah your right Rick, I agree, but the 372 has been constantly put up against the 7900 even though it it is at a 7-8cc disadvantage obviously due to similar weight and size. Why Husky didn't run a 52mm bore with the X-torque is beyond me.

If Dolmar/Makita ran with the same theme as 7900 etc in the 90cc bracket, it would be one interesting saw.

[snip]

Yeah your right Rick, I agree, but the 372 has been constantly put up against the 7900 even though it it is at a 7-8cc disadvantage obviously due to similar weight and size. Why Husky didn't run a 52mm bore with the X-torque is beyond me.

[snip]

As much as I'm a Dolmar groupie I've always thought it unfair to compare a 7900 to a 440/441 or 372.
A 7300 yes, it's lineball on capacity and weight to its competitors but the 7900 is halfway between the 70cc class saws and the 90cc class saws, it just happens to share the 7300's crankcase.

I'm looking for a 7301.

I'm NOT looking for a 440/044 or a 372. (Though I wouldn't mind to have a 372 if I could find one at a REALLY good price.)

Mike

I don't think the 7900.................

Well :censored:, I guess that settles it. Nobody should own one cause they are a POS. I just wish you would have let me know before I bought one and figured out that it is an unbelievable value of a stock saw. Just think, I could have never had the pleasure of owning one if I would have only talked to you first.
:hmm3grin2orange:

is unreliable or a POS.The 5100 is another story.

I just couldn't get used to the 7900.it seems to be a great saw.I sold mine to my buddy and he loves it and I can use it whenever I want. When ever I work with him,I notice the 7900 stays on his truck and he has my 372.

is unreliable or a POS.The 5100 is another story.

I just couldn't get used to the 7900.it seems to be a great saw.I sold mine to my buddy and he loves it and I can use it whenever I want. When ever I work with him,I notice the 7900 stays on his truck and he has my 372.

I will have to say since I ported my 372 I use it way more. I have always liked the fit of the 372 slightly better, but that's me. When you factor price and power into the equation the 7900 cannot be beat for value IMO.

You port the 7900 and you might not use your 660 much any more.

Latest posts

Back