Stihl 440 whats your opinion?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I pulled the trigger today on a brand new 440 to add to the fleet...I guess I will be pleased with this thing then fitted with a 18-20 and on occasion 25in bar for firewood... I run a 026 036 361 and 362 also the 61 being my favorite but wanted a little more punch at times when I get into the big logs. I think im going to get the 61 ported.
I got a used 440 runner at the beginning of the year on CL; was so impressed that I couldn't pass up another a couple of months later. Full comp chain on a 20" bar is perfect for hardwood; 25" in softwood. Lighter than the 441, 460; handles well with proper 70cc torque in the cut; takes a few pulls to start cold but then 1 pull warm. Stihl dealer knows these saws inside and out and says that they're easy to work on. A reliable, well-mannered hot rod.

The 044/440s feel like a 60cc saw to me but with more power and capabilities. Works great for a 70/50cc plan.

For $500 or less used they are great values, and very reliable.

I have searched and couldn't find a 044-440 around for that. The beat ones they still wanted 500-600. But I got lucky the other day and got a brand new never fueled 440 for 592.88 shipped to my door. It only has an 18in bar but im not going to complain.

Thanks everyone for the replys!! I pulled the trigger today on a brand new 440 to add to the fleet...I ran a 441 a good bit last year and felt that it was a little on the heavy side and just felt like a big saw I have read a few places that they don't hold up as good. I guess I will be pleased with this thing then fitted with a 18-20 and on occasion 25in bar for firewood. I felt as if my 046 and 460 were on the heavy side and just too much saw for most firewood duties. I run a 026 036 361 and 362 also the 61 being my favorite but wanted a little more punch at times when I get into the big logs. I think im going to get the 61 ported.

Nice line-up!

I have searched and couldn't find a 044-440 around for that. The beat ones they still wanted 500-600. But I got lucky the other day and got a brand new never fueled 440 for 592.88 shipped to my door. It only has an 18in bar but im not going to complain.

Well, that's a "you suck" deal for sure...

For anyone hot for any of the following: 044, 044 with 10mm, 440, 441, Those are all currently posted on the Grand Rapids, MI CL. (not all in the same ad, it'll take some looking...) I am sitting here on a sofa resisting CAD. If someone sees me pick up the car keys, knock me down.

For anyone hot for any of the following: 044, 044 with 10mm, 440, 441, Those are all currently posted on the Grand Rapids, MI CL. (not all in the same ad, it'll take some looking...) I am sitting here on a sofa resisting CAD. If someone sees me pick up the car keys, knock me down.

2 of them.

I'm having trembles now myself

"100% of Home Invasions Occur in a Home" - Sharpsburg

...got a brand new never fueled 440 for 592.88 shipped to my door...
Fine move! I paid $465 for a 10-yr old 440 on CL that was clean on the outside but had to spend another $100 to replace broken parts. 161 lbs of compression, though, and it runs great now. The other 440 was on CL a month later for $400 and showed very little wear, so I couldn't pass it up.
Advice from the local Stihl tech for a new saw: for the longest service life, run a good synthetic oil and tune the carb 400 to 500 rpm less than specified (13,500 rpm) for the first 40 hours, then re-tune.

044/440 is prolly one of the best if not the best all around firewood production saws, power to weight ratio is fantastic, excellent build quality. In my area it's almost impossible to find one that just hasn't been beat to death, I get them in all the time just used up only to have the owner ask to go through it and make it like a new one mechanically, most folks in the real world could care less about looks just as long as they run good. They have to hold their value as well as any saw on the market. I have one on the bench that the owner claims to have cut down over a million board feet of oak, the mains are gone, it had a air leak on the pto side, bearing cage was broken, he's having us put in new mains and ring it as the jug and piston look like new. He's run it on stihl dino at 40:1 it's entire life, he'd rather have it than a new one.

Do you realize what you just said?
You bought a homeowner saw and used it for "homeowner" duties and "It worked great for what I bought it for..."
Then you tried to use it for a purpose that it was never meant to do, and suddenly it became a "POS Poulan Wildthing".

That is somewhat akin to someone saying they bought a Ford ranger to drive back and forth to work and it worked great, but when they started pulling a trailer and hauling a farm tractor around it was a POS and wouldn't hold up!
Your 310 is a very good saw for the range you would be using it in. Don't get all caught up in the "pro saw or no saw" hype. It is bullcrap and will only end up costing you a lot of money.
If you want to give your friend a FANTASTIC present, that is fine and I respect you for that. But if you are thinking the 440 will miraculously put a lot more wood in the truck, you are going to be disappointed.

Remember this ......."The skill of the sawyer is vastly more important to the amount of wood cut than the design of an appropriate saw".
I will guarantee you that a 310 with a good sharp chain will outcut a 440 with a chain that is less than optimum.

Mike
Well said.The trouble with most homeowner saws is the fact most homeowners cant sharpen a chain.They run these little small cube saws dull and they simply overheat.That and also brand new chain seems to come out the box dull,or certainly less than optimal.

Oh, I don’t doubt that at all. Before I was edimuacated in the fine arts of chain saws, I had a POS poulan wild thing. It worked great for what I bought it for, cutting camp fire wood in Washington State. Dry ponderosa pine branches are no match for that powerhouse of a saw. But I moved to Michigan in 2008, had some land with a lot of trees, and wood heat. That little purple and green saw blew the F up and melted at the same time cutting red maple, not an exceptionally hard wood (yes, I realize that it is a deciduous tree and therefore “hard wood”). I went to my local dealer and bought a 310. He had a used 044 for the same price, but I didn’t want no stinking used saw. I got home and started cutting. Oak, ash, maple, black cherry, but the words kept burning in my head “for the same price, you’ll get a much better saw”. The 310 cut like a dream, but what if I was wrong about the 044. Too late, too bad, so sad, it was gone. But I’m getting a damn pro saw now whatever it costs. $729 plus tax. It could have been $395 plus tax, but I was a retard. Now I have a 310 that I never use, if I’m cutting small stuff, 028 super. Monster oak gets the 660. 310 was last started in 2011 when my friend borrowed it and I’m thinking of just giving it to him as a late Christmas present.
Lol that 310 must suck I have the 044 and I love it.ill pay the shipping on that 310 if you won't to send it my way? I have a place for it and will show it lots of love.

I was going to buy a new saw after reading here I don't think that MS362 will do the job for me. After rading here that little saw might cut sticks.

I was going to buy a new saw after reading here I don't think that MS362 will do the job for me. After rading here that little saw might cut sticks.

It will do more than that, but not as gracefully as some other saws in the 60cc class, like the 560xp, 2260 or 562xp - and it will not handle nearly as well.

Latest posts

Back